Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is engine bay aesthetics important to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 12:19 PM
RadlerCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is engine bay aesthetics important to you?

As a kid, I loved the exterior designs of cars, and the sounds of cars. As an adult, I've learned to enjoy the underlying beauty of a well designed engine bay. Pop the hood in the garage and take in the beauty while sipping a craft beer. Preferably IPA with high alcohol content.

Now WTF was Ford drinking when looking at the Mustang's engine bay? What version of Budweiser was running through their veins when they designed the engine bay of the latest model Mustang? My god. What's with the coolant overflow tank doing up in your face like a misplaced colonoscopy bag? Hide those ugly hoses! Nobody wants to see that ****. I liked the GT350R and was looking into one. However, once I saw it with the hood open, I knew I couldn't have that intimate relationship with it and my IPA alone in the garage. Not going to happen. I'd have to do it with the lights off. I'd have to be really drunk to want to look at that thing.

The engine bay of the RCF by contrast, is pure sex. Can't get enough of it.

What are your thoughts on this? Curious to see what engine bays get your motors revvin. I've always liked the exotics of course. The Vipers have always been nice as well.

For contrast:

Last edited by RadlerCF; 07-18-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 12:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting (read: post photos somewhere else that enables 3rd party hosting.)
Old 07-18-17, 12:50 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

anyhow, i don't care at all what the engine under the hood looks like. it's hidden for a reason (on almost all street-legal cars).
Old 07-18-17, 01:05 PM
RadlerCF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for notifying me. The pics were displaying fine for me. I had to look from another device to see they were not visible. Looks like photobucket has kicked the bucket. First their servers slowed to a halt, now they want a subscription.
Old 07-18-17, 01:08 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Do not care
Old 07-18-17, 01:19 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

More the quality of what's there.....my LS430 was purchased used, and so the new car dealer that sold it detailed it. Now, I keep it clean, it's cleaner than any of our cars.

The BMW 335i probably has the most advanced motor in our stable, and it's not really that clean, I've had it all apart doing plugs, ABS pump, etc. It wouldn't be that easy to get it all cleaned up dust-wise, but it's probably the highest quality motor that we have.....I often wonder if all the plastic under the hood is hiding something....
Old 07-18-17, 01:23 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Actually love the 5.0 engine bay in the Mustang. I think it looks great. The colostomy bag coolant tank is ugly though lol.

I have always been attracted to the F10 M5 engine bay too. It looks like a menacing jumping spider.
Attached Thumbnails Is engine bay aesthetics important to you?-photo816.jpg   Is engine bay aesthetics important to you?-photo83.jpg  

Last edited by yardie876; 07-18-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RadlerCF
What are your thoughts on this?
It's true that some people don't care about the underhood layout. But, nevertheless, I still, as a matter of policy, for those who are interested, give a description underhood of every vehicle I do a full-review on...or any major write-up. Some people (though a diminishing number) still check their own fluids, add them as needed, do their own oil-changes, and perform light maintenance.
Old 07-18-17, 01:35 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This was one of my faves, the E60 M5 V10 engine layout. Also really liked the E39 M5 V8 layout too.
Old 07-18-17, 02:00 PM
RadlerCF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's true that some people don't care about the underhood layout. But, nevertheless, I still, as a matter of policy, for those who are interested, give a description underhood of every vehicle I do a full-review on...or any major write-up. Some people (though a diminishing number) still check their own fluids, add them as needed, do their own oil-changes, and perform light maintenance.
Glad I'm not alone!

Thanks
Old 07-18-17, 02:06 PM
RadlerCF
Driver School Candidate

Ironically, I have to admit that one of my cars that I like very much doesn't even have an easy way to view the engine. I haven't even seen the engine! My Cayman R. Getting underneath that thing though under the back and looking up, it's a work of art.

Last edited by RadlerCF; 07-18-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 02:08 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I opened the hood of my new car ONCE in 6+ months; however, I DO like to see a nice engine layout, like the RCF and M5 above.
Old 07-18-17, 02:29 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that important on a daily driver, but then we have the enthusiast cars and older Alfa Romeos has the most beautifrul engines on a standard car by very far, here some V6 arrangements.

Old 07-18-17, 02:42 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

As a techie kind of guy I love engines. I was surprised to open the hood of our 2010 RX450h and view a sea of black slabs of plastic. Not sure if it was done for noise reduction or some statement about hybrid elegance.
Old 07-18-17, 03:16 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I think the old jaguars with the DOHC I 6's are a real art work. Without dang plastic covers.

Quick Reply: Is engine bay aesthetics important to you?