RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2015 rc f hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 01:37 PM
taekyon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 rc f hesitation

My 2015 RC F appears to do a slight "pause" when I accelerate from a traffic light. It'll do this when the car is already moving as well if I jump on the throttle a little hard to full-on. Turning the traction control off doesn't appear to help. It's almost as if the computer takes a second to catch up with my input. Does anyone else have this issue and does anyone know of a fix. It can be very frustrating.
Old 07-15-17, 04:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Did you do the TSB ECU reflash free of charge at your Lexus dealership?

Originally Posted by taekyon
My 2015 RC F appears to do a slight "pause" when I accelerate from a traffic light. It'll do this when the car is already moving as well if I jump on the throttle a little hard to full-on. Turning the traction control off doesn't appear to help. It's almost as if the computer takes a second to catch up with my input. Does anyone else have this issue and does anyone know of a fix. It can be very frustrating.
The following users liked this post:
taekyon (07-16-17)
Old 07-16-17, 07:03 AM
taekyon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Did you do the TSB ECU reflash free of charge at your Lexus dealership?
Do you by chance know if the TSB is specifically related to the problem I've described? My dealership hasn't figured it out and never mentioned any TSB.
Old 07-16-17, 07:58 AM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long story short, fuel pump tsb is supposed to fix the rolling hesitation under mid/heavy throttle. I've owned my 15' since new and have had two different dealers look into this - royal pain in the butt getting them to acknowledge the issue. The fuel pump update is supposed to deal with the noise issue related to the pump but it also supposedly resolves the issue with the
acceleration. I use the word supposed bc mine still does it and the according to the tech it was done (but again they were uncooperative). I'm tempted to call RR racing to see if their ECU upgrade gets rid of this issue (I would assume it does). I'd certainly rather deal with them than the annoying dealer. These cars have huge potential if someone could deal with the transmission programming - driving in manual is not the answer and neither is the annoying groan of Sport S+. I would've optioned for a manual transmission with 6 cogs (not 8) if one were available. I wish someone would make a tremec conversion so we could drop a 100lbs and get rid of the slush box. I absolutely love the styling of this car, like nothing else on the road but the car was not road tested by an enthusiast b4 being released (idc what people try to convince themselves). Read any of the editorials, the transmission in auto doesn't do what u want it to do when it should. It's the biggest gripe I have with the car.
Old 07-16-17, 08:24 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Speak for yourself please. My 15 feels and drives amazing and I didn't have any tsb touch my coupe. The aisin unit is smooth and race quick when you want it. The sport + noise is the perfect match with an aftermarket exhaust. Sure a couple hundred pounds off would be great but I knew this going in valuing a gt experience over an m4 rabid coaster ride.

Lexus reliability and quality delivered yet again.
Old 07-16-17, 10:18 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing here- I also have a slipping that occurs every time the car goes into 5th gear for the first time that day. It's really weird. It will only happen once, and not every day, just most of them.

I'm going to have it all checked out when I go in for an oil change in the next week.
Old 07-16-17, 11:27 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Did you get an official print out from THAT Lexus dealership who supposedly had done your TSB ECU reflash? It should state very specifically that particular TSB ECU reflash was indeed done. I don't have that specific info right in front of me, but I will have to look for mine.

After the TSB ECU reflash was done on my 2015 RCF, it was night and day. All good.

I think the "heaviness" is a good thing for the RCF. It s a GT cruiser not a Formula ONE race car!!! Also the "heaviness" is safer than the M4, especially in the small overlap front crash tests. The last time I looked at the M3 (M4 not tested yet) did poorly on the small front overlap crash test.

Update:

Pic if my original post with my own service paperwork for the TSB below....

@lexusrus@lexusrus , 09-06-16 07:37 PM
Here is the paperwork I got after the fuel pump ECU reflash........

RC-F Fuel Pump-rc-f-10k-miles-service-with-fuel-pump-ecu-reflash_08.23.2016.jpg

Pic of the TSB from another CL POSTER,

RCF Fuel Pump noise TSBThis TSB will fix the hesitation issue also.

Another post with the TSB Numbers below:

@JT2MA71@JT2MA71 , 08-09-16 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnevino
Hey guys! I've combed through the thread and couldn't find the TSB number...could one of you please repost it so I can contact my dealer. Never had a noise/pump issue, but the lag is definitely present. My work has had me slammed the past few months so I haven't been able to follow the forums like I wish I could. Thank you.

Publication_Number: 'L-SB-0031-16'.

Vehicle Applicability: ''15-'16 RC F, 16' GS F'.

T3_ID: '16-TMS-0039-L'. Publication_Number: 'L-SB-0031-16'.

Originally Posted by LexusRCF15
Long story short, fuel pump tsb is supposed to fix the rolling hesitation under mid/heavy throttle. I've owned my 15' since new and have had two different dealers look into this - royal pain in the butt getting them to acknowledge the issue. The fuel pump update is supposed to deal with the noise issue related to the pump but it also supposedly resolves the issue with the
acceleration. I use the word supposed bc mine still does it and the according to the tech it was done (but again they were uncooperative). I'm tempted to call RR racing to see if their ECU upgrade gets rid of this issue (I would assume it does). I'd certainly rather deal with them than the annoying dealer. These cars have huge potential if someone could deal with the transmission programming - driving in manual is not the answer and neither is the annoying groan of Sport S+. I would've optioned for a manual transmission with 6 cogs (not 8) if one were available. I wish someone would make a tremec conversion so we could drop a 100lbs and get rid of the slush box. I absolutely love the styling of this car, like nothing else on the road but the car was not road tested by an enthusiast b4 being released (idc what people try to convince themselves). Read any of the editorials, the transmission in auto doesn't do what u want it to do when it should. It's the biggest gripe I have with the car.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-16-17 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 01:05 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

You can check to see if your vin is associated with any TSB...pretty easy. Mine had the hesitation and after the ecu update the performance was very noticeable. I have a very good relationship with my service manager, so maybe that could be a reason he treats our cars so well. I think it took about an hour if I recall.
Old 07-16-17, 03:09 PM
taekyon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusRCF15
Thanks for the info. The car is spectacular in every way. I'm hoping the dealer can flash this and all will be well. We've had numerous Lexus cars and they are great cars with the best reliability. Sometimes one single dealership doesn't have all of the experiences people as passionate as forum members bring to the table. Thanks for the help. I will post an update.
Old 07-16-17, 04:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

don't go into the dealership and tell them you have a hesitation issue and need the fuel pump TSB done. tell them you have a whining noise from the rear part of your car. they won't do the TSB otherwise.
Old 07-16-17, 04:29 PM
taekyon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
don't go into the dealership and tell them you have a hesitation issue and need the fuel pump TSB done. tell them you have a whining noise from the rear part of your car. they won't do the TSB otherwise.
I don't have a whining noise coming from the rear though. Do you think that is still the cause?
Old 07-16-17, 08:33 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The noise was coming from the front on mine , they fixed the fuel pump no questions asked .
good luck , keep us posted
Old 07-16-17, 09:32 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So true.

Just tell them about the noise. Don't even go to the hesitation issue whatsoever.

​​​​Here is the thing.......they might keep the car overnight or just ask you to go for a ride right there and then. And they might even say, "I don't hear the noise?". To which you will politely say, I just completed a very long drive and it seemed to happen intermittently. Can you take care of it by doing the TSB PLEASE? I WANTED THIS TAKEN CARE OF ON THIS VISIT AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT A LEXUS AND NOT SOME OTHER BRAND. Usually the SA is not in the business of arguing as he/she wants a good survey. Kindly let him/her know an excellent survey is on its way!! EVERYONE WINS!!!

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Old 07-17-17, 09:11 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Truer words have never been spoken!!!^^^^ For a dealership, that is where the money is at these days, customer satisfaction surveys!
Old 07-17-17, 03:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Haha, same thing is true nowadays in the health care industry. So what if that diabetic patient wants some ice cream, GO AHEAD AND ENJOY!!! WE ALSO GOT SOME INSULIN TO FOLLOW!!! JUST KIDDING!!! IT'S BECOMING LIKE THAT!!!

Originally Posted by Kramer
Truer words have never been spoken!!!^^^^ For a dealership, that is where the money is at these days, customer satisfaction surveys!

Quick Reply: 2015 rc f hesitation