RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 07:53 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Tires

Has anyone tried the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires?
Old 07-14-17, 08:09 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Nope. I can't wait for my Pirellis to wear out and my Pilot SS's to run wear out after that so I can try the new Pilot Sport 4S's

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...sport-4s.html#

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 07-14-17 at 09:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (07-19-17)
Old 07-14-17, 09:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

You may find this thread in the ISF forum interesting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...500-tires.html

Lou
Old 07-14-17, 10:51 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
You may find this thread in the ISF forum interesting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...500-tires.html

Lou
Thank you!
Old 07-14-17, 12:42 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been running the new Pilot 4S since their release in 265/35 front and 285/35 rear and i can tell you they are SO MUCH BETTER than PSS. Don't get me wrong, PSS is an amazing tire but it is not forgiving on rough roads, and would be a death trap in the rain/cold. I can honestly say you can FEEL significant improvement in performance and smoother/better ride comfort and increased/confident grip in rain and cold/hot temperature. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for new tires because they are honestly the best summer perf tire $ can buy.

I would've loved to go wider to 275/295 but PS4S does not currently produce in a 295/35 and thus the diameter variation between OEM would be too great for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sparker:
BossMoss (07-16-17), rjmalm (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 01:06 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparker
I have been running the new Pilot 4S since their release in 265/35 front and 285/35 rear and i can tell you they are SO MUCH BETTER than PSS.
I assume you have
265/35ZR19/XL (98Y)
285/35ZR19/XL (103Y)
Both higher load and speed ratings than the tires Michelin recommends as PP (96Y and not XL) or Cup.
  1. How is the outer and inner edge wear on the Pilot 4S?
  2. Any issues with fitment of these larger tires?
  3. Are you using the OEM wheels?
The PPs has 3.5 32nds to start vs in inner thread depth of of 10 and I always have to replace due to the edge wear going to 0 in 14k miles.
I raised the air pressure to 39-40 to get additional mileage out of them.
I ask you since the outer and inner edge 4S taper slots look wider than the PP non tapered slots.
Attached Thumbnails New Tires-mi_pilot_sport_4s.jpg   New Tires-mi_pilot_ss.jpg  

Last edited by rjmalm; 07-14-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 05:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I have been running the new Pilot 4S since their release in 265/35 front and 285/35 rear and i can tell you they are SO MUCH BETTER than PSS. Don't get me wrong, PSS is an amazing tire but it is not forgiving on rough roads, and would be a death trap in the rain/cold. I can honestly say you can FEEL significant improvement in performance and smoother/better ride comfort and increased/confident grip in rain and cold/hot temperature. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for new tires because they are honestly the best summer perf tire $ can buy.

I would've loved to go wider to 275/295 but PS4S does not currently produce in a 295/35 and thus the diameter variation between OEM would be too great for me.
Not what I have heard at all. If the temperature drops below 45F the PS4s are absolutely scary. More than one source and from people whose opinions I respect.
rjmalm (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 09:44 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm looking at these:

G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...F&autoModClar=
Around $776 ($726 after rebates) plus shipping of around $60 for set of four.

Versus:

PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...F&autoModClar=
Around $907 ($837 after rebates) plus shipping of around $60 for set of four.

Anyone tried any of the two above or anything else?

Consumer Reports warning about driving with summer tires in cold winter:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

In the above article, I quote:

"GM bulletin #13-03-10-001A: "Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking" – (Jan 30, 2014) advises “avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 20º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.” The car models affected include the 2012-2014 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport, 2012-2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Z/28, 2014-2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, and the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and Stingray Z51, and SS sedan."

"Reaching out to a GM tire supplier, Pirelli, a spokesman explained that the performance tread compound becomes so stiff on such tires that it can lead to cracking when deformed in cold weather. In measuring the hardness of numerous brands of summer tires at 0º F, we have found the tread becomes almost inflexible and the tires lose their bounce when dropped. The cracking is characterized as cosmetic, but in our experience any cracking shouldn’t be taken lightly as it can evolve over time. If there is crack, you should replace the tire. (GM’s service bulletin also recommends discarding a tire with cracking.)"

I'm trying to order a set of all seasons tires for the winter season later on (where my RCF is located it can get to around 10's F in the winter). I drove around in the RCF OEM Michelin PSS and it was scary. So I drove my old MB SLK55 AMG with all seasons tires and all were good. I wanted to have my RCF ready for the winter also.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not what I have heard at all. If the temperature drops below 45F the PS4s are absolutely scary. More than one source and from people whose opinions I respect.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-15-17 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 12:31 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tarponman
Has anyone tried the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires?
No, but how about some:
Old 07-16-17, 05:58 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I am running Cup 2's at the track. I ran both PS4S at Watkins Glen and Cup 2's. For the handling and grip go with Cup 2's but you won't get the wear out of them like the PS4S.
Old 07-16-17, 09:26 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skipetenj
I am running Cup 2's at the track. I ran both PS4S at Watkins Glen and Cup 2's. For the handling and grip go with Cup 2's but you won't get the wear out of them like the PS4S.
Could you not run set-ups like "Supercars" namely "GTR":

Daily Tires:

Track Day Tires:

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 07-16-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 11:48 AM
Sparker
Rookie

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I assume you have
265/35ZR19/XL (98Y)
285/35ZR19/XL (103Y)
Both higher load and speed ratings than the tires Michelin recommends as PP (96Y and not XL) or Cup.
  1. How is the outer and inner edge wear on the Pilot 4S?
  2. Any issues with fitment of these larger tires?
  3. Are you using the OEM wheels?
The PPs has 3.5 32nds to start vs in inner thread depth of of 10 and I always have to replace due to the edge wear going to 0 in 14k miles.
I raised the air pressure to 39-40 to get additional mileage out of them.
I ask you since the outer and inner edge 4S taper slots look wider than the PP non tapered slots.
No issues on fitment and zero rub on OEM rims. I think there is definitely still room to go another 10mm wider. Good question on inner/outer edge wear, i will have to look and measure and will get back to you when i get a chance.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
These are summer performance tires, so the fact that your respected opinions are sourced based on driving in that low temp is dangerous in itself. This is why people get into accidents. I have a dedicated set of winter performance tires. The SS turn into hockey pucks as does any summer tire compound, so not sure what you are comparing against. I said they are BETTER than SS. My opinion/claim is based on myself since I actually had SS for over a year and have PS4S and Sottozero's and i'm supportive of manufacturer and independent studies/testing.

"The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Last edited by Sparker; 07-17-17 at 11:53 AM.
rjmalm (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 12:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^He was simply responding to your statement below - concerning cold temps:

PSS is an amazing tire but it is not forgiving on rough roads, and would be a death trap in the rain/cold. I can honestly say you can FEEL significant improvement in performance and smoother/better ride comfort and increased/confident grip in rain and cold/hot temperature.
And yes, any summer tire is not to be driven in cold temps for many many reasons. But, 45⁰ F is nowhere near freezing. My Bridgestone S-04s are also a summer tire, and feel fine at 45⁰ F.

Lou
Old 07-17-17, 12:12 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^He was simply responding to your statement below - concerning cold temps:

And yes, any summer tire is not to be driven in cold temps for many many reasons. But, 45⁰ F is nowhere near freezing. My Bridgestone S-04s are also a summer tire, and feel fine at 45⁰ F.

Lou
I guess "cold/hot" is subjective based on where you are. Yes, 45⁰ F is not freezing but still closer to freezing than it is a summer temp. I am comparing to the SS, and the PS4S absolutely feels like it has more confident grip in all weather conditions, including at 45⁰ F. Also, they all feel "fine" after they are warmed up. So if you're going full throttle and hard braking before optimal operating temperature then they will of course suck compared to a warmed-up SS. 45⁰ F is around November time in NY which is typically when I would mount my winters.
Old 07-19-17, 01:57 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

We have the PS4S's on our Camaro and it's the best all around tire on the market IMO.

They handle adverse conditions well, produce impressive grip, and I've been told they wear well (I've put about 2,000 miles on our car since we swapped wheels & tires).

Unless you are looking for a track-first tire vs. an all-around performance street tire, the PS4's should be your first choice (if size is available)

Nick C.

Quick Reply: New Tires