NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 08:42 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Tow Package

Both the Lexus website and the forums do not include a break down of what is included with the nx200t towing package. The rx350 lists, "Engine and transmission oil coolers, heavy-duty radiator and cooling fan." I called up Lexus customer support this morning and they emailed me my vehicle build sheet and verified that I do have the Tow Package on my nx. I dug deep and asking what the package includes, it took them a while asking difference people and they finally came back and said that unfortunately they do not have a break down of what is included, however, the engineer confirmed that there is a heavy duty radiator involved.

From doing some more research and looking at various Lexus replacement parts for the nx200t . It looks like an oil cooler and a transmission cooler are already on every nx200t as well as a 150 amp alternator. So this leads me to believe that the nx200t tow package essentially includes the same goodies as what is available in the rx350. With tow pacakge we can safely tow 2000lbs with a 200lb tongue weight, probably not the end of the world to tow without the "tow package," but towing something heavier, especially up in high altitudes would probably greatly benefit from the tow package.

Just thought this may be useful information for those wanting to tow a small camper with the nx200, I am planning on getting a Scamp 13'.

Last edited by gompka; 07-13-17 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gompka:
dfarrand (09-18-18), RHH (06-01-20)
Old 07-13-17, 12:22 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Both the Lexus website and the forums do not include a break down of what is included with the nx200t towing package. The rx350 lists, "Engine and transmission oil coolers, heavy-duty radiator and cooling fan." I called up Lexus customer support this morning and they emailed me my vehicle build sheet and verified that I do have the Tow Package on my nx. I dug deep and asking what the package includes, it took them a while asking difference people and they finally came back and said that unfortunately they do not have a break down of what is included, however, the engineer confirmed that there is a heavy duty radiator involved.

From doing some more research and looking at various Lexus replacement parts for the nx200t . It looks like an oil cooler and a transmission cooler are already on every nx200t as well as a 150 amp alternator. So this leads me to believe that the nx200t tow package essentially includes the same goodies as what is available in the rx350. With tow pacakge we can safely tow 2000lbs with a 200lb tongue weight, probably not the end of the world to tow without the "tow package," but towing something heavier, especially up in high altitudes would probably greatly benefit from the tow package.

Just thought this may be useful information for those wanting to tow a small camper with the nx200, I am planning on getting a Scamp 13'.
I would also love to know so I can pull my alluminum boat.
Old 07-18-17, 10:06 AM
gompka
Racer

Some more information on this, unfortunately the nx does not come pre-wired for trailer lights/brakes you can buy a 4 pin harness adapter from Lexus, it is p# PU322-60015-WH and about $200, I have also attached very involved installation instructions on running the harness through the car. Etrailer sells a Curt and a Tekonsha harness for about $50 and it seems like the way to go. I still have to look under the dash and see if we have a harness for the electric brake controller, unfortunately, I doubt it since we have had no love with the tow harness, but i'll check and report back.
toyoman29 (07-18-17), winglesss (03-21-18)
Old 07-19-17, 08:30 AM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So a car with "Tow Package" wouldn't include the hitch receiver and wiring?
Old 07-19-17, 08:33 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by DiscoMnky
So a car with "Tow Package" wouldn't include the hitch receiver and wiring?
Correct it will not include hitch and wiring. From what i can tell all it includes is an upgraded radiator. Which makes sense since the tow package is only a $160 option. Lexus charges $500+ for the hitch, you can get a curt hitch for about $120.
Old 07-19-17, 08:39 AM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would this be listed on the original window sticker?

I actually recently installed a Draw-Tite hitch and I am waiting for my wiring harness to arrive. I had no idea about this package when purchasing the car.
Old 07-19-17, 08:44 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by DiscoMnky
Would this be listed on the original window sticker?

I actually recently installed a Draw-Tite hitch and I am waiting for my wiring harness to arrive. I had no idea about this package when purchasing the car.
It should be on the window sticker, i bought my nx used so i contacted Lexus corporate and got them to send me the factory installed options that were on the car. If your towing something very light or using a bike rack etc it shouldn't matter, if you want to occasionally tow a small travel trailer or cargo trailer i still don't think it would really matter too much. The heavy duty radiator will help more on long trips, towing something close to the rated maximum 2,000 lbs, especially up in the mountains etc. The car already comes with an oil and transmission cooler, i am planning on adding an additional transmission cooler when I eventually purchase a 13' Scamp travel trailer just to be on the safe side. On a side note the ford escape 2.0 ecoboost is rated to tow 3,500 with tow package, can't tell if there is anything different about the Ford or if Lexus was just being very conservative.
DiscoMnky (07-19-17), RHH (06-01-20)
Old 08-02-17, 09:49 AM
gompka
Racer

On a side note, i was looking at my drivers side doors sticker to help me calculate gvwr and gcwr and noticed a yellow sticker which says the equipment in the car has been upgraded and the resulting impact on gvwr is 14lbs. I'm guessing that is because of the upgraded radiator, but i'm not sure. Does anyone else have a similar sticker in their car?
Old 08-02-17, 02:25 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've got a similar sticker only mine says 8lbs. I assume different options add weight to the car necessitating the sticker.
Old 11-01-17, 09:32 AM
gompka
Racer

Spoke with Lexus customer service and looks like i finally got some definitive answers about what is included in the tow package. Unfortunately, the car is not wired for the tow connector and all new wiring has to be run from the battery and t-taps from the taillights.

Thank you for contacting Lexus.

The Tow package for the NX model includes a large amp alternator, engine and transmission oil coolers, heavy-duty radiator and cooling fan.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Tiffany LaGrone
Lexus Guest Experience Center

Last edited by gompka; 11-02-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 08:22 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some more information on this, unfortunately the nx does not come pre-wired for trailer lights/brakes you can buy a 4 pin harness adapter from Lexus, it is p# PU322-60015-WH and about $200, I have also attached very involved installation instructions on running the harness through the car. Etrailer sells a Curt and a Tekonsha harness for about $50 and it seems like the way to go. I still have to look under the dash and see if we have a harness for the electric brake controller, unfortunately, I doubt it since we have had no love with the tow harness, but i'll check and report back.
Very nice instruction link!
Old 03-20-18, 01:35 PM
winglesss
Rookie

That Lexus PU322-60015-WH Trailer Wiring Harness is different than the factory Towing Package option wiring.

The factory Towing Package option adds a module fed by connector Q43 - Option Connector (Trailer Towing). That factory Towing Package option gets the Tail Lamp and the Backup Lamp signals directly from the Instrument Panel Junction Block, gets the Right Turn and Left Turn directly from the Combination Meter Assembly, gets the Stop directly from the Stop Light Control ECU Assembly and gets the two 30A feeds from the Engine Room Junction Blocks 1 + 2, one fused, the other a circuit breaker.

The Lexus PU322-60015-WH Trailer Wiring Harness is totally different. It gets lamp signals from the rear lamp assemblies and power from the battery w/ a new in-line fuse.

Those instructions posted by gompka are still great and still very useful.
Old 03-20-18, 01:40 PM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by winglesss
That Lexus PU322-60015-WH Trailer Wiring Harness is different than the factory Towing Package option wiring.

The factory Towing Package option adds a module fed by connector Q43 - Option Connector (Trailer Towing). That factory Towing Package option gets the Tail Lamp and the Backup Lamp signals directly from the Instrument Panel Junction Block, gets the Right Turn and Left Turn directly from the Combination Meter Assembly, gets the Stop directly from the Stop Light Control ECU Assembly and gets the two 30A feeds from the Engine Room Junction Blocks 1 + 2, one fused, the other a circuit breaker.

The Lexus PU322-60015-WH Trailer Wiring Harness is totally different. It gets lamp signals from the rear lamp assemblies and power from the battery w/ a new in-line fuse.

Those instructions posted by gompka are still great and still very useful.
i have the tow package and no wiring is present in my car, that i can tell. I do have 2 empty towing fuse slots in the front under hood fuse box. Where is plug q43? I just tapped into the stop light relay under the dash for the 12v+ brake switch signal for my brake controller.
Old 03-20-18, 02:45 PM
winglesss
Rookie

The factory Towing Package option adds a module fed by connector Q43 - Option Connector (Trailer Towing).
i have the tow package and no wiring is present in my car, that i can tell. I do have 2 empty towing fuse slots in the front under hood fuse box. Where is plug q43? I just tapped into the stop light relay under the dash for the 12v+ brake switch signal for my brake controller.
The FSM does not show the exact location for connector Q43. The locations for the ~dozen not-specifically-identified Q connectors is the driver side rear quarter.

That connector Q43 is a white 8-position connector, w/ a pair of thicker power and ground wires in the center.

If the Engine Room Junction Block No. 1 30A Towing fuse and the Engine Room Junction Block No.2 30A Towing BRK breaker are both empty, then it appears that vehicle does not have the factory towing wiring.
Old 03-20-18, 03:18 PM
gompka
Racer

The FSM does not show the exact location for connector Q43. The locations for the ~dozen not-specifically-identified Q connectors is the driver side rear quarter.

That connector Q43 is a white 8-position connector, w/ a pair of thicker power and ground wires in the center.

If the Engine Room Junction Block No. 1 30A Towing fuse and the Engine Room Junction Block No.2 30A Towing BRK breaker are both empty, then it appears that vehicle does not have the factory towing wiring.
i confirmed with lexus that my car has the tow package, its on my build sheet. They also confirmed that the tow package does not include any wiring, only upgraded cooling. I did notice that there are those fuses and relays under the hood, but lexus may be reusing the fuse boxes for multiple cars. I also found nothing in Techstream about tow wiring. Are you in the USA?

Quick Reply: Tow Package