IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 06:33 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
Exclamation Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking

Has anyone replace these already on our cars?

If so, do you have the torque specs for the bolts and ball joint nuts?

My car now has 62k and noticed this below while doing an oil change and changing out the rotors.

I was going to buy some pickler forks, ball joint clamp and just do it in my garage for forgo the alignment....but then other part of me says just take it to the dealer and have them do it and align it and wash my hands of it...

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-lbj.jpg  
Old 07-07-17, 07:32 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The following users liked this post:
MisterSkiz (07-08-17)
Old 07-08-17, 09:19 AM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Has anyone replace these already on our cars?

If so, do you have the torque specs for the bolts and ball joint nuts?

My car now has 62k and noticed this below while doing an oil change and changing out the rotors.

I was going to buy some pickler forks, ball joint clamp and just do it in my garage for forgo the alignment....but then other part of me says just take it to the dealer and have them do it and align it and wash my hands of it...

Thoughts?
Time and convenience, and dealership pricing, versus a couple hours, if that, in your garage switching them out yourself, not including an alignment. I would go ahead and do both sides even if that's the only side showing wear. From Moog to OEM, the parts are not that expensive.
MisterSkiz (07-08-17)
Old 07-08-17, 12:56 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by N2LEX2L
Time and convenience, and dealership pricing, versus a couple hours, if that, in your garage switching them out yourself, not including an alignment. I would go ahead and do both sides even if that's the only side showing wear. From Moog to OEM, the parts are not that expensive.
Exactly my thoughts too on doing both sides with all new bolts/nuts/pins....I always go OEM parts when I can...especially on a steering component
Old 07-11-17, 12:17 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Sir, didn't you do your own LSD swap (and document it for the community)? I love that thread.

I'd ask the dealer to update the service history database after installing oem parts myself.
Old 07-12-17, 06:54 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by tas02
Sir, didn't you do your own LSD swap (and document it for the community)? I love that thread.

I'd ask the dealer to update the service history database after installing oem parts myself.
Yup that was me!

I didn't really do it all myself...I had a Lexus tech help me at his garage at his home
Old 07-19-17, 07:35 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Around 56k miles my '08 started steering a little sloppy. New/wider tires and an alignment didn't help so I decided to try replacing the lower ball joint assemblies. Here's what one tie rod end looked like before the install:
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2938.jpg
A little wet but no tears, cracks, or grease oozing out.

Here's a DIY:

I've never done this before on any car so if you're on the fence you might want to try it yourself. It's not that bad. Here are the Lexus parts you'll need:
Left ball joint assy: (1) 43340-39505
Right ball joint assy: (1) 43330-39625
Retainer clips/cotter pins: (2) 90468-16017
17mm Castle nuts: (2) 9017112002

Each ball joint assembly includes this (notice it doesn't come with a new castle nut or retaining clip for the tie rod end; just one for the control arm pivot or whatever you call it):
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2943.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2944.jpg

This is what a new clip looks like:
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2946.jpg

Here are the only tools I used. I needed pliers because the pitman arm that I borrowed did not allow for a socket to fit over top of it. The sockets you see are 17mm, 19mm, 21mm for the wheel lug nuts, and the wheel lock:
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2981.jpg

1. Jack up the front and put it on jack stands. For those of you looking for methods, I drive one of my wheels onto two boards that sit about 1.5" off the ground. Then I use a low profile jack to reach the lift point in front of the oil pan. After lowering the car onto the stands I like to lift the jack back onto the jack point with a little bit of pressure as a backup in case my jack stands fail. But for this procedure you'll need the floor jack to keep the steering knuckle elevated and out of the way. For the jack stands I cut out the top and bottom of a hockey puck. The puck ends up supporting the pinch weld itself as well as the frame that it protrudes from.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2988.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2989.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2991.jpg

2. Turn the steering wheel so that the tie rod on the side you're working on is fully extended. You don't have to start the car. Just press the start button twice. Turn the power off when you're done so you don't drain the battery.

3. There are two ball joints with castle nuts on top of them. One acts as a pivot and the other allows the tie rod end to steer the entire knuckle. Remove the pins from both castle nuts and throw them away. Break loose the two 19mm bolts on the bottom of the steering knuckle. You need to do this first because when the tie rod end is removed, the knuckle will rotate freely while you're trying to get the 19mm bolts off and you won't be able to get any torque on them. Loosen the 17mm castle nut on the tie rod end.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2948.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2950.jpg

4. I would back the castle nut out and keep it screwed onto the top threads to prevent the tie rod from flying off when it pops out. Remove the tie rod with a pitman arm puller or some other tool. You can borrow one at autozone for free (with a refundable deposit) or they're about $15. The pitman tool may flare out the top of the castle nut which means you may not be able to fit the 17mm socket over it again (unless you squeeze it back into shape with pliers like I did). I would just use a new castle nut during installation. Part # 9017112002. Remove the castle nut and move the tie rod out of the way.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2952.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2954.jpg

5. You can't get to the larger castle nut since part of the steering knuckle is in the way so the next step is to remove the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint assembly. Support the weight of the knuckle by resting the wheel hub bolts on a jack. Remove the two 19mm bolts completely from the bottom of the knuckle. As you do this jack up the knuckle so that it's out of the way.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2956.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2958.jpg
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2960.jpg

6. Loosen the larger 19mm castle nut and use the pitman arm tool to remove the entire ball joint assembly.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2962.jpg

7. Clean the bottoms and insides of the pivot and tie rod end. I feel like if these have any pieces of dirt on them it would wear down the new rubber ball joints quicker.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2963.jpg

8. Install the new ball joint assembly by tightening the new 19mm castle nut to 120 ft*lbf. I can't remember, but I might have temporarily placed the tie rod end into the assembly in order to hold the assembly in place while I torqued the 19mm castle nut. When the ball joint is installed it will not make a popping sound like it did when the old one was removed. Install the new retainer pin that came with the kit. edit: the service manual says "further tighten the nut up to 60 degrees if the holes for the clip are not aligned"
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2967.jpg

9. Lower the steering knuckle onto the new ball joint assembly and tighten the two large 19mm bolts on the bottom of the knuckle to 88 ft*lbf. It will take some finagling to get the knuckle to sit on the ball joint assembly properly. If you want to use new bolts for the knuckle here's their part # 90105A0232. If the knuckle won't hold still while you're trying to torque the bolts, skip to the next step and attach the tie rod end first so that the knuckle won't be able to rotate.
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2969.jpg

10. Attach the tie rod end and torque the 17mm castle nut to 48 ft*lbf (576 in*lbf). Only my smaller torque wrench could reach in there. The ball joint assembly does not come with a new castle nut for the tie rod end. Either reuse your old one or here's the part number for a new one: 9017112002. Install a new retainer pin that also does not come with the ball joint assembly (9046816017). If you weren't able to torque down the 19mm knuckle bolts, do so now (88 ft*lbf).

11. Repeat for the other side.

12. Get an alignment? Let the debate begin. Here's the results from an alignment at 59,692 miles with new tires and the old ball joints:
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2942.jpg

I installed the lower ball joints at 59939. Here's the alignment check I had done at 59952 on the same day:
Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking-img_2996.jpg
At this shop alignment checks are free so obviously they want you to be out of spec and need an alignment and pay for it. No adjustments were needed.

Conclusion: The ball joints didn't make a big difference in handling around town. However, I no longer have to make tiny steering inputs and the steering wheel returns to center again when I let go of the wheel. I can't feel the front wheels wobbling all over the place when I drive over bumpy roads like I used to. Over 50mph I noticed a drastic change. In a straight line it takes a lot more effort to change lanes. It feels stable and stiff now. Well worth the $160 for the increased stability at highway speeds alone.

If you see anything wrong with this procedure let me know so I can edit this post.

Last edited by ZDCATC; 09-29-17 at 06:04 PM. Reason: fixed pictures to satisfy ocd
The following 6 users liked this post by ZDCATC:
5280ISF (07-20-17), James7 (09-08-19), mikersoft (07-20-17), N2LEX2L (07-19-17), Rickna (09-10-19), vertex16 (09-10-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-17, 08:45 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the DIY and included part numbers.
Old 07-20-17, 04:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Nothing wrong with the procedure, but I use air tools to dramatically simplify the job. It all comes apart in a few minutes with a good 1/2" drive air wrench and an air chisel (if you really need it). I also use a lead hammer instead of the puller when I'm tossing the ball joint anyway.

That car looks like it hasn't seen salt and snow. Nice!
Rickna (09-10-19)
Old 07-20-17, 05:49 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Thank you for the write up!

I had taken pictures as well and was going to write it up too haha.
Old 07-20-17, 06:30 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i did it on both sides of the isf. easy stuff. did the lower ball joint , outer and inner tie roads. always do both sides even if only one side has the problem.
Old 07-20-17, 07:45 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That car looks like it hasn't seen salt and snow. Nice!
It's spent it's whole life in Southeastern PA and Northern VA. Hopefully the original owners kept it in a garage. I've daily driven it even through the winters since I bought it in 2013 but was only able to keep it in a garage for 4 of the last 5 years. For the most part I really lucked out with the rust/corrosion.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Thank you for the write up!

I had taken pictures as well and was going to write it up too haha.
As soon as I saw this thread I decided to pull the trigger and replace the ball joints. I was hoping to post my DIY before you made a decision in order to help you out. Did you end up doing the work yourself?

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i did it on both sides of the isf. easy stuff. did the lower ball joint , outer and inner tie roads. always do both sides even if only one side has the problem.
I probably should have done at least the tie outer tie rods for piece of mind since I was set on taking it to the alignment shop afterwards. Oh well. It really is less intimidating than it seems.
Old 07-21-17, 07:31 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Yup, I ended up doing it all myself with no alignment.

Only thing I did different from you was I took the two big 19 mm bolts off first and lifted the assembly up and moved it over and rested it on a jack using the rotor hat.

I then used an impact wrench to remove the bolts, as I drive my car year round so there was some rust build up.

The inner tie rods were fine and did not show any horizontal play at all, and well the outer tie rods are just a big metal loop, nothing to really do there.

Ony thing I want to remind folks that would be doing this on their own is that to please use a nice quality torque wrench for the bolts...this is your car's steering...
Old 09-08-19, 05:34 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Reviving this post. I got 152K miles on mine and they are definitely shot. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket ones like Moog, ACDelco, etc.?
Old 09-10-19, 05:54 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Reviving this post. I got 152K miles on mine and they are definitely shot. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket ones like Moog, ACDelco, etc.?
Just to avoid doing the job twice go OEM. I bought some moog parts for the rear and ended up doing the job again a year later and replaced those with OEM parts.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joint Boot Cracked/Leaking