LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question about body shops - hood - no close junkyard

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 05:13 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about body shops - hood - no close junkyard

I'm close to the point of being done working on this car mechanically so I really started looking at buying a new hood. The closest junkyard that has an LS400 is about two hours away and it's $250. Buying one online comes to about $500 because of shipping.

Well, the hood on the car is actually not that bad. I don't care if the paint is messed up for now. I wanna hear people's experiences. How close to original specs does a body shop get it? I assume exact...

If so, maybe paying $200 to just get the original hood fixed might be a good idea. Which is my other question - what are prices like to do something like this? Just straightening a body panel with, really, just one main bend...

Keep in mind with this picture: the hood opened up while driving, bending the hinges. The driver's side bent down and towards the right (looking at the car dead on) while the passenger side hinge bent up. Essentially it tilted. So keep that in mind looking at this picture. It doesn't sit right so try to picture it like it does. The main bend is in the very front of the hood. Look at the first foot or so, how it dips down.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Rokas; 07-04-17 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-04-17, 01:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx?LocationID=63&NavItem=6&SearchCriteria=&#partpricing

$47.99 for a hood
Old 07-04-17, 03:16 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What part of FL are you in? Don't bother straightening that good or any removable body panel on an LS400. Just replace it.
Old 07-07-17, 04:50 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
What part of FL are you in? Don't bother straightening that good or any removable body panel on an LS400. Just replace it.
Orlando.

To the guy above you, there's a U-Pull-n-Pay by my house but they don't have it. Every site I went on said the closest car is two hours away. If that website works to find something, I will love you forever.
Old 07-07-17, 04:55 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

I typed in "LS400 hood" in Tallahassee (even farther but much cheaper) but no results? I'm in Orlando. I wish I could find a parts car so bad.
Old 07-07-17, 09:09 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Don't feel bad, there was an LS close to me and now they trashed it there are none close now. Pick n pull are pure idiots, trashing cars that are so few and far. They charge stupid prices for parts and then give them away when smashing the cars for scrap. How many ls's are trashed everyday in the US?
Old 07-08-17, 06:29 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dicer
Don't feel bad, there was an LS close to me and now they trashed it there are none close now. Pick n pull are pure idiots, trashing cars that are so few and far. They charge stupid prices for parts and then give them away when smashing the cars for scrap. How many ls's are trashed everyday in the US?
Why do they do that? There's 15 Lancers and not one LS400? How could they not think people need most of the parts on that thing considering the scarcity?
Old 07-08-17, 04:51 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

I can't believe it - today I called U Pull n Pay and they just got one in!

I was in a hurry. I should've grabbed the hinges. Mine are bent.

But the hood and grille is excellent.

I'll grab the driver side headlight when I go back, too. Man. I am so excited because I didn't think I'd find one anytime soon (for $55).

edit: Question: Anything in particular I should try to grab, as far as certain parts? Maybe I can grab one for someone here. The engine was mainly intact. The radiator looked good.

Oh yeah and maybe I never noticed but a wing was an option for an LS400? There is a first gen that has a rear wing... It looks surprisingly good even though I prefer clean.

Last edited by Rokas; 07-08-17 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 04:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Good deal, way better than trying to fix something that is not fixable. What is the color of the car? And if your going back get the hinges if you can. How is the front bumper on the wrecking yard car?
Old 07-10-17, 04:06 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Dang, I just typed up a post and lost it.

Dicer, I got the passenger side hinge which I believe is the broken one. The only problem is, I don't see how to install it without taking off the fender. Is there a way? I don't care if it's really tight if it's possible.

I got the headlight too. I was also messing around with the Temp Sender for the gauge on those cars so I know how to change it properly without breaking the connector or anything. I also grabbed a new one. I cut off just that wire. If I mess mine up, I can cut it and solder on the new wire/connector, right?

There was no bumper left and no passenger side fender. The other side still has the fender and the other hinge, but again I'm almost sure that the passenger side hinge is the only broken one.

Old 07-10-17, 02:39 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I would not recommend buying use body parts online as a majority of them have damage which some sellers will not disclose
Old 07-13-17, 04:24 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lextout
I would not recommend buying use body parts online as a majority of them have damage which some sellers will not disclose
I didn't think of that - thanks. They cost too much anyway when you include shipping.

To anyone who has a problem like this in the future, just wait. Call your local junkyards every week or two to see if they got it in if they don't have any. Like I said, I did that and got a damn perfect hood for $50. When I say perfect, I mean not a scratch, clean, just beautiful.
Old 07-13-17, 09:52 AM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rokas, I am in Orlando, I have a 1993 LS400 I can part ways with.
Old 07-18-17, 06:28 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sshhlexus
Hi Rokas, I am in Orlando, I have a 1993 LS400 I can part ways with.
I'll PM you.

Hey guys, is there anything else to taking the fenders off besides a bolt behind the door with it open, a couple under the hood, and some under the wheel well?

I looked today and it seems like that's it. That means I can properly install my new radiator support and hood hinge, lining everything up, and COMPLETING THE WORK ON THIS CAR MINUS A PAINT JOB! A couple of you may remember that I bought a crashed LS400 with the intent to bring it back to life and then VIP that ****... It's coming together. I've spent about $1300 total including the price of the car and it actually came with a newer engine with about 100k miles on it unlike the 200k on the car. I'm just happy so I had to rant a little. This forum, by the way, helped a lot. I'm a novice mechanic and didn't pay another mechanic a cent EXCEPT to do the power steering pump.
Old 07-18-17, 09:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

The bar in front of the radiator is spot welded to the unibody, it holds the hood latch and all that. You will have to cut one out of a junk yard car meaning cut the whole area that its welded to, and then drill the spot welds when you get it home. Unless you want to drill them at the yard.

Quick Reply: Question about body shops - hood - no close junkyard