Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2017 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 04:11 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

9 new bundles of joy Ford GT delivered

only 31 NSX deliveries, another bad month

75 Audi R8 deliveries

Q50 and Q60 remains strong

423 LC cars is ok but down from last month

only 16 of the LC sales were for the hybrid

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 07-05-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 04:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow Lexus cars really struggling - almost all models down by 20% YOY, GS is down over 50%.
Is it a supply issue or just poor sales??? Hard to understand such a rapid decline.

SUVs are doing ok but only NX is up YOY.

LC hopefully will sell considering 6series coupe is no longer made and new 8series is still about a year away.
It really has no direct competitor for a luxury GT car around $100k. Not sure if M6 is still in production.
The S550 coupe is significantly more $$$$$.
Old 07-04-17, 04:10 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every Lexus car, at least how I perceive them, is underpowered, slow and with crummy tech. And I say that as objectively as possible. That's my perception of them after seeing other brands up close now.

The IS 4 cylinder turbo, for example. The HP output seems decent enough, on paper at least, but it crawls like a Chevy Suburban, while competitors can push the same engine to LEGITIMATE 5+ second 0-60 times. I had a chance to sit in the 4 cylinder A4 and that thing was nice. I didn't get to drive it, but I overheard a couple after their test saying it was fast. The engine numbers are nearly the same, so I just don't get why a Tahoe is faster than that little thing. The A4 seemed much larger inside as well. It didn't seem cramped versus the IS I sat in two years ago.

Look up and down the line. It's all the same: underpowered slowness with old tech and the refinement isn't even that good. My new car is better refined than the LS I had. It's tight as a drum with no creaks or groans, which was surprising to me and something I wasn't expecting. My LS had so many dash rattles it drove me nuts.
Old 07-04-17, 05:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
My new car is better refined than the LS I had.
What is your new car (sig still says LS)? And congrats!
Old 07-04-17, 05:54 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Traded in my LS for brand new Audi S7.

The S7 engine is what the LS should have had long ago. Not some lame 3.5 liter V6.

Just an amazing machine. Can't stop grinning every time I drive it. No creaks, groans or rattles. It's tight as a drum. We assume Lexus has superb fit and finish. At least I did until I drove this.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-04-17 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-04-17, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats! Awesome car.
Old 07-04-17, 07:45 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every Lexus car, at least how I perceive them, is underpowered, slow and with crummy tech. And I say that as objectively as possible. That's my perception of them after seeing other brands up close now.

The IS 4 cylinder turbo, for example. The HP output seems decent enough, on paper at least, but it crawls like a Chevy Suburban, while competitors can push the same engine to LEGITIMATE 5+ second 0-60 times. I had a chance to sit in the 4 cylinder A4 and that thing was nice. I didn't get to drive it, but I overheard a couple after their test saying it was fast. The engine numbers are nearly the same, so I just don't get why a Tahoe is faster than that little thing. The A4 seemed much larger inside as well. It didn't seem cramped versus the IS I sat in two years ago.

Look up and down the line. It's all the same: underpowered slowness with old tech and the refinement isn't even that good. My new car is better refined than the LS I had. It's tight as a drum with no creaks or groans, which was surprising to me and something I wasn't expecting. My LS had so many dash rattles it drove me nuts.
The A4 is a FWD car which makes it better for packaging.
Old 07-05-17, 04:27 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Mitsubishi

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...une-2017-sales

Mitsubishi Motors Reports June 2017 Sales /

July 03, 2017 — CYPRESS, Calif.
  • Outlander continues its strong sales with June up 16.2 percent
  • Mirage reported its best June sales month since 2001
  • Calendar year-to-date sales of 54,576 are up 5.1 percent
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) reported June 2017 sales of 7,625, down 5.0 percent over June 2016. The Outlander CUV led the way for the brand with its best June sales month since 2007. Total Outlander sales were 2,313 an increase of 16.2 percent over last June. Mirage sales were up 12.8 percent with total sales of 1,739, its best June since 2001.Total 2017 calendar-year sales are up 5.1 percent compared to last year at this time with 54,576 units sold.

For more information on Mitsubishi Motors, please visit
media.mitsubishicars.com.
Old 07-05-17, 04:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Porsche

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300483122.html

Porsche Reports June 2017 Sales

U.S. Porsche Dealers sell 27,568 vehicles in the first half of 2017 News provided by

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Jul 03, 2017, 16:34 ET
Share this article
ATLANTA, July 3, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor in the United States of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne, and Macan model lines, today announced June 2017 sales of 4,516 vehicles. This is a 0.8 percent increase over June 2016. Year-to-date, deliveries are up 3.2 percent compared to 2016 with 27,568 vehicle sales.
Macan sales were notably strong in June with 1,871 deliveries, a 53.1 percent increase over the same period last year. Year-to-date, Macan sales are up 30.9 percent and stand at 10,638 vehicles. Panamera deliveries registered at 518, a 2.4 percent increase over last year. Year-to-date, Panamera sales are up 36.5 percent with 3,001 vehicles sold.Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle sales in the U.S. were 1,477. Year-to-date, CPO sales are up 7.2 percent and stand at 8,964 for the first six months of 2017.

Old 07-05-17, 05:06 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Hybrids

http://www.hybridcars.com/june-2017-dashboard/
June 2017 Dashboardby Jeff Cobb July 4, 2017

The HybridCars.com monthly sales Dashboard is a collaboration of HybridCars.com and Baum & Associates, a Michigan-based market research firm focusing on automotive issues including the hybrid and electric vehicle market.

Overall sales for June were down from a year ago and from May. This trend is likely to continue although the overall decline is relatively modest and sales remain strong. However, as compared to last June and year-to-date, sales of battery electrics, plug ins, and hybrids were all up strongly. With the exception of battery electrics, sales were down from last month. Diesels are of course down for all periods of comparison.

Sales for all-electric vehicles were up from last June and year-to-date on the strength of the Model X, Bolt and Leaf. The Model S was actually down from last June as changes in the model offering (the end of the lowest priced model among other changes) over the past couple of months have resulted in lower sales. Preparations for the launch of the Model 3 also were likely to have reduced production and therefore sales. However, all of these models (including the Model S) were up from May as sales generally increase in the last month of the quarter. Tesla sales in the second quarter trailed levels in the first quarter, owing to both production issues (including a shortage of batteries for the 100-kWh version, now resolved) and a modest slowing of demand. Bolt sales reached over 1600 in June which is its best month, but volumes remain on track for only about a 20,000 annual rate with many of these vehicles being used by fleets which are focusing on developing autonomous vehicles. Elon Musk has stated that a small number of Model 3s (30) will be delivered in July. Plug-in hybrids had a good month as compared to last year as well as year-to-date. However, sales were down from May, with drops common among the category leaders such as the Prius Prime, Fusion, and Volt. While we continue to estimate volumes of the Pacifica, a recall provided information on production volumes through mid-June. While production will continue at a moderate level over the next couple months, stronger volumes are expected beginning this fall. The launch has been very troubled, with quality issues and now a recall slowing initial sales. The Prius Prime, Volt, and Ford Fusion and C-Max represent almost two-thirds of the category. New vehicles continue to appear, including the Pacifica, BMW 5- and 7-Series, Mercedes C-Class, Kia Optima, Cadillac CT6, and new in June, the Mini Countryman.

Hybrids had another good month, with the category having a greater increase than the overall market as compared to year-ago and year-to-date, albeit down from May. The Fusion Hybrid hopped back above the Prius Liftback which had a poor month, although the latter model is the sales leader for the first six months of the year. For this time period, the greatest growth is provided by the Fusion, Kia Niro (new), Honda Accord, Toyota Highlander, and Hyundai Ioniq (new). That said, a number of models have posted declines such as the Prius Liftback, Prius C, Prius V, Ford C-Max, and Hyundai Sonata. The Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq have both done well, but it is now clear that the body style of the Niro (crossover, albeit not available with all wheel drive) is popular and vehicles of this type are selling well whether they are gasoline powered or provided in hybrid form. Conversely, if the Prius sells at a similar rate in the second half of the year as in the first, sales will be approximately 65,000 which is far below the rate of almost 150,000 in 2012 and 2013. Of course, the RAV4 is taking some sales and competition from Ford and Hyundai/Kia is taking share away from Toyota.

The size of the diesel segment continues to be controlled by which products can be offered. The Ram Pickup, which has been a category leader, remains off the market and the EPA and FCA continue to spar with one another in both the public and private sphere. Thus we expect this process not to be resolved soon, although a settlement could end this disagreement quickly. As usual, the Transit remains the leader in the category and in fact represents half of total sales. Volkswagen continues to sell “leftover” models of the Golf, Passat, and Jetta from Model Years 2015 and 2016 that were recently certified for sale. However, volumes are almost depleted.

Old 07-05-17, 05:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Traded in my LS for brand new Audi S7.

The S7 engine is what the LS should have had long ago. Not some lame 3.5 liter V6.

Just an amazing machine. Can't stop grinning every time I drive it. No creaks, groans or rattles. It's tight as a drum. We assume Lexus has superb fit and finish. At least I did until I drove this.

Beautiful!
Old 07-06-17, 05:45 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Jaguar Land Rover

http://media.jaguarlandrover.com/en-us/news/2017/07/jaguar-land-rover-reports-us-sales-june-2017
JAGUAR LAND ROVER REPORTS US SALES FOR JUNE 2017

5 July 2017Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC today reported June 2017 U.S. sales

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to MoreShare to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to LinkedIn

• Second Best ever Jaguar Land Rover U.S. June sales month
  • Best June retail month since 2004 for Jaguar
  • Best ever June sales month for Jaguar XE
  • Jaguar F-PACE, winner of two 2017 World Car of the Year Awards, continues to be the brand’s volume leader for the month
  • Best ever Land Rover U.S. June sales month driven by strong performances of Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Discovery Sport
  • Second Best ever Range Rover June sales month

(MAHWAH, NJ) – July 5, 2017 -- Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC today reported June 2017 U.S. sales: Jaguar sales were 2,946 units, a 7 percent increase from 2,743 units in June 2016; Land Rover sales increased slightly to 5,760 units; Jaguar Land Rover June U.S. sales for both brands hit 8,706 units, a 3 percent increase from 8,448 units in June 2016. Year to date, Jaguar Land Rover is up 19 percent in the United States.

“We are proud that Jaguar Land Rover continues its positive sales momentum and has finished the 1st half of the year with a 19 percent sales increase,” said Joe Eberhardt, President and CEO, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC. “Land Rover had its best June sales month ever and the new generation of Jaguar vehicles, led by the F-Pace and XE, continue to make their mark in a very competitive market place."

U.S. BRAND HIGHLIGHTS

Land Rover

For the month of June, Land Rover sales hit 5,760 units, the best June sales month for the brand.

The Range Rover had its 2nd best June sales month with 1,382 sales, up 23 percent from 1,125 units sold in June 2016. The Range Rover Sport was the volume leader with 1,594 units sold.

In its 1st full month of sales, the new Discovery achieved 845 units sold, and Discovery Sport hit 1,014 sales.

The 2017 Land Rover model line-up features 5 models: The all-new Discovery, which replaces the LR4, features a radical new design language for the full-size, optional seven passenger seating SUV and all-new levels of refinement, passenger technology and driver assistance options. The Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque continue steadfast, both powered by 240-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter engines. The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport model lines expand for 2017 each with a new model. Replacing the limited edition HST model in the Range Rover Sport line-up, the Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic features a 380-hp supercharged V6 engine, dynamic body trim appointments and black trim finishes. Within the full-size Range Rover line-up, Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations has introduced the SVAutobiography Dynamic. Based off of the long wheelbase SVAutobiography, the SVAutobiography Dynamic offers a driver focused experience through a standard wheelbase, suspension and chassis tuning and a lowered ride height. Both Range Rover model lines feature 5 powertrain options – a 340-hp supercharged V6, a 380-hp supercharged V6, a 510-hp supercharged V8, a 550-hp supercharged V8 and a new 254-hp turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 diesel.

Jaguar For the month of June, Jaguar sales were 2,946 units, a 7 percent increase from 2,743 units in June 2016; making it the best June Jaguar sales month since 2004.

The Jaguar XE, had its best June sales month ever, and hit 638 units sold. The Jaguar F-PACE hit 1,501 units sold, making it the brand’s volume leader for the month. The Jaguar F-PACE recently won 2 titles at the 2017 World Car Awards – World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year.

The Jaguar F-TYPE hit 327 sales, up 7 percent from 306 units in June 2016. To mark the introduction of the new 18 MY F-TYPE range, at this year’s New York Auto Show Jaguar debuted an exclusive 400 SPORT special edition model.

Jaguar launched 2 new entry luxury vehicles in 2016: the 2017 XE compact luxury sedan, starting at $34,9001, and the 2017 F-PACE compact luxury SUV, starting at $40,990.1 Competitively priced within their respective segments, these 2 new models appeal to an all-new segment of buyers for the brand. The XE is available with 2 gasoline engines, a 240-hp turbocharged 4-cylinder and a 340-hp supercharged V6. The F-PACE is available with the same 340-hp supercharged V6, as well as a 380-hp supercharged V6 in the ‘S’ model. Both vehicles are available with a 180-hp turbocharged diesel engine, which returns 42mpg highway2 on Jaguar XE models and 33mpg highway2 on F-PACE models.

The Jaguar XF is now offered with 3 available powertrains, 2 supercharged V6 powertrains producing 340- and 380-hp and a 180-hp turbocharged 4-cylinder diesel offering an EPA certified 42mpg highway.2 The 2017 Jaguar XJ retains its position within the Jaguar line-up as the pinnacle in luxury for the brand. It continues to be available with 3 powertrain options – a 340-hp supercharged V6, a 470-hp supercharged V8 and a 550-hp supercharged V8 – is offered in both standard and long wheelbase lengths in both rear- and all-wheel drive configurations. For 2017, the Jaguar F-TYPE offers buyers with an all-new derivative in the F-TYPE SVR. Powered by the brand’s proven supercharged V8 engine, the F-TYPE SVR has been further enhanced to offer 575-hp and 516-lb. ft. of torque enabling a top speed of 200mph4, 5 and a 0-60mph time of 3.5 seconds.4

All new Jaguar models come standard with Jaguar EliteCare, an ownership package with class-leading 5-years or 60,000-mile warranty, complimentary scheduled maintenance coverage, roadside assistance and Jaguar InControl® Protect & Remote™.3
Old 07-06-17, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

f-pace over half of jag's sales - impressive.
Old 07-07-17, 09:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb AutoNews

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170706/RETAIL01/307069922/toyota-turns-to-rental-lots-for-lift-in-slowing-market

Toyota turns to rental lots for lift in slowing market

July 6, 2017 @ 10:34 am
John Lippert
Bloomberg

Shares

Toyota's U.S. deliveries fell 3.6 percent this year through June, outpacing the industry's 2.1 percent decline. Photo credit: DAVID PHILLIPSSend us a Letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.UPDATED: 7/6/17 3:24 pm ET - adds detailsAs automakers in the U.S. struggle to keep selling new cars to American consumers at a record clip, Toyota Motor Corp. plans to turn to rental car companies and other fleet operators for a boost.

Toyota will nearly match last year's total sales to fleet customers, which means the company has some catching up to do. Deliveries to rental car companies and other fleets were down by about 20 percent during the 1st 6 months of the year, according to Jim Lentz, chief executive officer of Toyota's North American operations.

"A lot of our fleet sales are backloaded into the 2nd half," Lentz said in a phone interview before the grand opening Thursday of Toyota's new North American headquarters in Plano, Texas. "We're confident we're in good shape for the rest of the year."

Automakers sold fewer cars and trucks during each of this year's 1st 6 months, putting the industry on course for its 1st annual drop since 2009. Toyota has been hit harder than many of its peers by a rapid shift in demand toward crossovers and SUVs and away from sedans like the Camry, the U.S. market's top-selling passenger car for the last 15 years.

Toyota's deliveries fell 3.6 percent through June, outpacing the industry's 2.1 percent decline. The company lost market share each of the last 2 years as crossover, pickup and SUV demand climbed.

Deliveries to rental-car companies and other fleet customers tend to make up a lower portion of Toyota's overall sales compared with U.S. and Korean automakers or Japanese peer Nissan Motor Co. Toyota sold about 219,700 vehicles to fleets last year, about 9 percent of its total, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Another reason Lentz has a brighter 2nd-half sales outlook for Toyota in the U.S. is accelerating output of RAV4 crossovers from plants in Canada and Japan. He predicted the company will sell 400,000 RAV4s this year, enough to surpass the perennial leader in its lineup, the Camry.

Toyota also is boosting production of the Highlander crossover, Sequoia SUV and Sienna minivan at a factory in Indiana and C-HR compact crossovers in Turkey, Lentz said.

Sales at Toyota's Lexus luxury division will be more than 300,000 vehicles this year, Lentz said, even as the company declines to match deep discount offerings by some of its competitors. Lexus reported deliveries of 331,228 cars and SUVs for 2016.

Lentz spoke as Toyota prepared for the opening of a $1 billion corporate campus the company has been constructing that consolidates North American sales, engineering and finance organizations in the Dallas suburb. The North American headquarters will eventually house 4,000 workers, including about 1,000 new hires from Texas and transfers from Toyota facilities in California, Kentucky and New York.

President Donald Trump issued a statement to say he's proud of what the company was doing and would support more growth of its U.S. operations by eliminating regulations and cutting taxes.

"We want to be the car capital of the world once again," Trump said in the statement, which Toyota released on its website.

Of the Toyota employees offered transfers from other locations, 72 percent chose to accept them, Lentz said. This exceeded the company's internal target of 50 percent and Nissan's acceptance rate after it relocated North American headquarters to Nashville, Tennessee, from California more than a decade ago, he said.

Lentz predicted the move will allow Toyota to make faster, better decisions. Up until now, he said Toyota employees who predicted demand for sunroofs or the car colors that customers would want sat in Torrance, California, while those who actually set production schedules for each factory worked in a suburb near Cincinnati, Ohio. Now, they're all part of the same team in Plano and report to one boss.

Old 07-07-17, 02:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The A4 is a FWD car which makes it better for packaging.
It's FWD, but it's not a transverse engine mount. It's longitudinal, like RWD vehicles. The Acura Legend and Vigor I believe also did this. So there isn't a huge benefit to packaging due to that. It's just a bigger car with a more modern platform.