GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 08:21 AM
raychangmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stuck radio volume **** = $10,000 repair?

Recently when I pushed the on/off/volume **** to turn on the radio on my 2013 GS450h, the button sank into the dash and would not pop out again. I am not Superman and I pressed the button with normal effort. The radio still works but is always on. I can still control volume with the steering wheel. I took the car into the dealer yesterday expecting a quick fix . I was quite surprised when they told me that the button is integrated into the radio system. The only way to fix the button is to replace the entire radio. The cost of the radio is $9,900. With labor, the repair would be over $10,000. Needless to say, I did not proceed with the repair. I still enjoy my car but am saddened by this minor defect. Anyone have any ideas for repairing a stuck radio **** that will not cost an arm and a leg?
Old 06-27-17, 08:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Unfortunately you are not the first. Here are some threads by others with the same problem. Some have been successful in getting Lexus to warranty it and others fixed it themselves.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pushed-in.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...b-went-in.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ton-stuck.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-m-pissed.html
The following users liked this post:
raychangmd (06-27-17)
Old 06-27-17, 09:49 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The radio on this car costs 10K? Damn I could buy a used corolla for that price.
Old 06-27-17, 10:01 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Are Lexus dealerships trying to drive customers away with these outrageous prices for simple repairs?

My volume **** did not work on my 2nd Gen GS and the screen would put up all kinds of random crazy symbols but it still worked, I just used the volume on the steering wheel and lived with it, I did not want to replace the whole radio just for a non functioning power/volume **** when the rest worked. I did get scared when I changed my battery because radio did not go on at first and thought I lost my radio but it eventually went on after starting the car again. Just learn to live with it, it will be the biggest waste of money to spend 10K to get the stealership to fix your volume ****. I am sure a audio/video place can probably fix it or you can get a cheap unit at ebay or a junkyard if you really want it fixed. Complain to Lexus corporate and the outrageous prices dealerships are charging to fix another one of their design failures.
Old 06-27-17, 10:11 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Why not just grab a used headhnit off eBay or something for like $300-500. Where are they getting the $10k price from? It's "integrated" but by plugs that simply go into the head unit. I get that the dealer is more expensive, but I'm trying to see how they're justifying this price. Either way, look on eBay grab a head unit, pop the old one out and out the new one in. Good luck
Old 06-27-17, 10:38 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like the radio is costlier than the engine or transmission
Old 06-27-17, 11:11 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Holy s***!!!!!! And here I thought I left behind ridiculous repair prices when I ditched my BMW! I'd try to find a unit from a junkyard and DIY or pay an independent to do it. Or if there are any weird security features or programming features for the car you could prob pay the dealer to do it. That part price is crazy!
Old 06-27-17, 11:22 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The radio can be removed very easily by just prying off the panel that is around the radio. Once that is off there are 4 bolts that hold it in place and also about 10 or so connectors on the back of it. Just remove them one at a time and connect to the replacement unit. So if you can find a used one it is relatively simple to replace it yourself.
Old 06-27-17, 11:43 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Solution is just get some very sticky tape (3M or Gorilla heavy duty) and pull/tug/yank the volume **** back out. All the previous threads about this basically ends up to this as the most effective way (in terms of time and money).
Old 06-27-17, 11:46 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

with a lot of people complaining about this, they all need to call Lexus Customer service, preferably at the same time, when they see a lot of people calling with the same problem it will result in someone raising a flag and some type of TSB getting made to address the issue.
Old 06-27-17, 12:19 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Use gorilla tape that rated 30 lb it worked for me. I tried using 3m double sided tape it don't work. Gorilla tape 30 lb worked.
Old 06-27-17, 12:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Use gorilla tape that rated 30 lb it worked for me. I tried using 3m double sided tape it don't work. Gorilla tape 30 lb worked.
That is what I was going to say or if that does not work I might try super gluing something thin to it and then pulling it with pliers, may mess the button up a little but better then paying $10K for a new one or even 300-500 from junkyard/ebay. My power **** was not stuck though, just stopped working.
Old 06-27-17, 12:28 PM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

$10,000?!?? Have you considered getting an estimate at a different dealer?
Old 06-27-17, 02:01 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Lots of salvaged radios on eBay for ~$600.
There are many different models, however, depending on date of car mfg.
I started making a list.

There are folks who've serviced the radio directly: someone replaced the cooling fan, and if you're willing to crack it open, you may find it's fixable.
Those who've pulled the **** back out seem to damage it in doing so, would be better to get in there and see *why* it's even possible to push it in so far in the first place, push it back out from behind, and fix the issue permanently.

There's no way the radio should cost $10k. It's just a computer w an hd radio and xm radio attached. It should be $2k tops, and that's already a crazy present day price for compute technology from 2012. It doesn't do anything more than a laptop from that era; a raspberry pi could probably handle everything it does today.

Last edited by jonathancl; 06-27-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 02:47 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is insane. I would have told them to pound sand. I hope they prefaced their quote by saying "this is ridiculous, but it will cost ________________".

My GS350 is my first Lexus. I will say i love the brand for reliability, but man, it seems that once and if something DOES go wrong, the dealership network for Lexus will do all they can to absolutely gouge you. Not saying all makes/model dealerships aren't like that, but it seems true for very simple issues (like this radio button issue, routine brake job, etc)

Quick Reply: Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?