RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Moving From GS onto the RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 04:56 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Moving From GS onto the RX

Greetings Folks-

I've been a member here over on the GS350 side of the house for quite some time.
Since the 2016 RX came out with its "New" body style etc, Ive been drawn to it for a number of reasons. And since they always tend to give you a nicely equipped RX Loaner
each time the GS is at the Dealer , its grown on me for awhile now. Bad enough that we went and looked at a number of them over the weekend - and narrowed it down to a
few color combos and models - HERE is where I'd love the input from your 4th Gen Members if you don't mind???

Is it still true that the RX is built on the ES Type Platform as far as ride quality etc? The Sales Rep (I do know the guy and he's a former Marine like myself!)
Well, that questions is not as vital as the following - which I guess anyone kind enough to reply to me could simply copy & paste my questions, and perhaps answer in RED underneath them or something? Any way you guys wish to do it is fine w me. I just wish to clarify a few things from YOU FOLKS who most often already OWN OR LEASE em.

1) Speaking of Own or Leasing - I realize its personal preference but how many of you all LEASE vs. BUY and does the RX have any good Lease Offers Worthy?

2) Right now I have a gorgeous "Nightfall Mica" Blue Exterior w/ that stunning "Noble Brown" Leather Interior picked out. However, this one is NOT an F-Sport. Feedback on this Noble Brown would be GREATLY appreciated y'all.--lol-typical Southerner
I do have another one in "Atomic Silver" which IS an F-Sport Model on my list!
QUESTION= Would I be kicking myself for not going with an F-Sport in these new RX 350s?

3) Last question = Have any of you RX Owners been GS Owners before ? Ever regretted the move to the RX/SUV World and if so WHY??

Of course ANY sort of feedback from you fortunate 4th Gen RX Owners would be greatly welcome! You can ramble on about ANYTHING regrading them and I'm tuned in! For instance - That "Noble Brown" Interior is something I've never seen before as a leather color! Super drawn toward that! Also - the Panoramic Moon Roof. Is it a MUST HAVE??
Many thanks in advance my friends!
Now I just need to take a peek over at the GS Classified Section to see what an 07 GS350 is going for these days. Was pretty impressed at what eBay was listing them for!

Semper Fidelis and Stay Safe out there folks!!

Gunny Fitz

Ps- Sincere apologies on length of my Thread. Its actually a symptom of my PTSD I am still trying to tone down.

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 06-26-17 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 05:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the 4RX Forum!

- The RX is based on the Highlander platform which has its roots to the Avalon (ES) and Camry platforms (a good thing which is why the ride quality, for an SUV is near-perfection).

1. I lease - lower payments gets me into a nice car and I have an excuse to change every 2-4 years.
2. I prefer the F / F Sport lineup from a visual and handling standpoint, but I much prefer the non-F SPort interior with the aluminum etched wood trim, and yes, the Noble brown interior is sweet! Looks aside, the F Sport does have the superb AVS suspension which reduces body roll and pitch/roll/yaw (aka floatiness) that the non- F Sport will exhibit more. You must test drive them side by side including at highway speeds.
3. No I have not, but have been a 3IS and 4IS owner which is a 7/8ths GS I also had a couple of GS loaners over time including the 3GS and 4GS. You will notice the RX "plows" (oversteers) a little more into corners due to its fwd-bias (and heavier front end) vs the GS' rwd more balanced platform, but if you do get the RX F Sport, it feels fairly sporty despite its 4400 lb heft, especially in Sport S+ mode that tightens up the dampers a little more.

Happy shopping!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (06-26-17)
Old 06-26-17, 05:39 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Now THAT "Corrado" is an OUTSTANDING reply using FANTASTIC formatting and the content itself was very, very informative and motivating my man~!!!

Right now I am kicking myself for not having the Rep locate that Blue exterior with Brown interior - in the F-Sport type!! Your convincing response to that question regarding it's value was stated VERY well Corrado, and I am now highly interested in doing exactly what you advised - Driving them back to back with a heavy foot too!

MANY THANKS brother! (Umm, assuming you are male here though?)

PS- Its been awhile since Ive been logged on here. SO SO SO glad they include the "THANKS" button on this forum!!
Old 06-26-17, 10:26 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

We have the '15 GS350 F Sport and '17 RX350 F-Sport and here are my thoughts from the two vehicles. Keep in mind that I've drove my GS for 15K miles and my RX only about 1k miles.

1) I can't comment on leasing as I've never lease a vehicle before.
2) I went for the F-Sport for the front grill and the triple beam headlights. Although I'm not impress with the triple beam headlights itself, with the fog lights on, the road is very nicely illuminated. The triple headlights are not as remarkable as an illuminator as it looks. The overall appearance of the F-Sport is better than the regular model IMO. It's also a little tighter on corners over the regular model.
3) Build quality wise, I feel that the GS is better built. One being built in Japan vs. one being built in Canada. The fit and finishes is just not up to the GS. Just listen to the sound on the RX door when you close it. It just doesn't sound expensive.
I hated the on-the-dash navigation screen on the RX and never got used to it. It just look out of place. Like you just buy a very large Garmen and place it on the dash. The GS, IMO, has one of the best dash design in any vehicle. Speaking of the dash, the dash is huge and flat on the RX so on a hot summer day, you will feel the heat radiating off the dash and hitting your face. Always have the vent pointing at you. I also feel there's too many plastic(?) on the dash. I guess I'm just not liking the huge dash. Feels like the dash is a waste of space could be a little smaller and the vehicle can have a more room in the back or somewhere else.
The other thing that I cannot get used to is the location of the mouse stick in the RX. In the GS, it's perfect because it's on the right side of the bottom console. You rest your arm and your hand natural falls on where the mouse stick is. In the RX, they have the mouse stick on the left side of the bottom console. I feel that I have to squeeze my arm into my body in order for my hand to touch the mouse stick. Try it and you will see what I'm talking about.
The latest tech on the RX is pretty awesome. I thought it's all gimmick and that I would never use it but I actually have them all turn on. I'm talking about the Lexus safety plus which is standard on all their '17 RX. The lane keep assist works quite well. I have it turned on and the steering wheel shakes if I go over the line. The system actually corrects the steering and you can feel it pulling as you're crossing the line. It's a very soft pull and that you can easily override the pull. I tested this on the highway and for the mile I was trying it on, the vehicle never cross the line by more than 3" I would guess. I haven't gotten a chance to try the adaptive cruise control.
The engine noise is definitely louder than my GS when accelerating. I'm not talking about full throttle but just regular getting up to speed driving. Some people are more "picky" than others and some vehicles are more loud than others hence the long thread on engine noise/vibration/drone when accelerating. I strongly advise you to spend a couple hours testing different cars and see if you can tolerate the noise or not. And definitely test drive the exact car you're going to buy.
The wind noise on the RX is also more noticeable. I'm not sure if it's just mine and that I have to get back to dealer for them to check it out but there's some whistling noise from the driver side when the speed reaches 40+ or so. For some reason, I missed this during the test drive. I think I was too focus on the engine noise and vibration and make sure I didn't come home with an RX that has vibration issue during accelerating.
Despite all that, I'm very happy with the '17 RX. Very smooth ride and quite comfortable. The electronics work well. I'm not going to compare handling between the RX and the GS. It just not in the class. But I will say that my F-Sport RX does not drive like a big SUV and I do like driving it. I can't wait to take it for an upcoming drive to Bar Harbor, ME(5 hours drive) next week on our family vacation.

Last edited by NickL; 06-26-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 12:28 PM
RiojaATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Right now I am kicking myself for not having the Rep locate that Blue exterior with Brown interior - in the F-Sport type!! Your convincing response to that question regarding it's value was stated VERY well Corrado, and I am now highly interested in doing exactly what you advised - Driving them back to back with a heavy foot too!
Can't get blue/brown in the F-Sport...in fact, blue is pretty rare in the F-sport (Red, as well). Nightfall Mica can be had with black, gray, or Rioja Red leather.

Former 4th gen IS owner and 3rd gen RX owner (both non-Fsport) and this '17 RX is my first F-Sport. I am VERY happy I went with it rather than the standard or Lux package. I gave up the wood steering wheel and wood accents, but that was a small price to pay for the impressive handling improvements. The sport seats are very comfortable, too.
GunnyFitz (06-29-17)
Old 06-26-17, 12:35 PM
RiojaATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I went for the F-Sport for the front grill and the triple beam headlights. Although I'm not impress with the triple beam headlights itself, with the fog lights on, the road is very nicely illuminated. The triple headlights are not as remarkable as an illuminator as it looks. The overall appearance of the F-Sport is better than the regular model IMO.
Agree x100. I have both the panoramic sunroof (didn't want) and triple-beam LEDs (looks cool, can't tell a difference versus the standard Bi-LEDs, probably not worth the cost). the IIHS also rated the adaptive Bi-LEDs higher than the triple-beams.

Make sure you check out the pano roof...its opening is moderately smaller than the standard moonroof.
GunnyFitz (06-29-17)
Old 06-26-17, 12:52 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The lease or buy question is as old question as it gets. I think there are deals to be had. A bit better if you take what they have on the lot verses special order one for you.

I actually have the Nightfall Mica and Brown interior. Initially, I wasn't crazy about the brown interior but its grown on me.

Must have options in my opinion
-NAV- Its not a great NAV functionally but its gigantic...so pleasing to the eye.
-20 inch rims. I personally think this makes the car visually. If you are considering the F Sport, then def look at this in the non sport.

Considerable
-Panoramic view monitor. If parking on the streets a lot especially urban areas.
-Panoramic moonroof. Some people really like a lot of glass on top.
-Tow Prep package. If i was special ordering, I would absolutely get this. $200-300 option for a heavy duty alternator, radiator and coolant. Then I would get a tow hitch to get my bikes on it.

For me personally, the highlight for the F sport is the cooler rims, cool instrument cluster and better looking grill. Yes F sport has a stiffer suspension but lets face it...its no X5 or even close to a Cayenne.
GunnyFitz (06-29-17)
Old 06-27-17, 01:43 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I also just traded my 15 GS350 F Sport in for a 17 RX350 F Sport. Much different vehicle. I was happy with the GS but wanted a crossover/SUV. The ride and comfort is fantastic. I am happy with my decision.
Attached Thumbnails Moving From GS onto the RX-img_0440.jpg   Moving From GS onto the RX-img_0437.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by acotugno:
ggebhardt (06-29-17), GunnyFitz (06-29-17)
Old 06-27-17, 03:02 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Now THAT "Corrado" is an OUTSTANDING reply using FANTASTIC formatting and the content itself was very, very informative and motivating my man~!!!

MANY THANKS brother! (Umm, assuming you are male here though?)

PS- Its been awhile since Ive been logged on here. SO SO SO glad they include the "THANKS" button on this forum!!

LOL, thanks! Yes, male. You also have some great responses above with even more detail. Let us know your impressions on the test drive and any decision that may come out of that.
Old 06-29-17, 03:27 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

You guys are AWESOME !!!

Sitting here looking at the two options I have in front of me on paper (Regular RX & the RX Luxury Option) - F-Sport is out of running. BOTH of these I have to choose from are Mica & Noble Brown.

The difference between the two comes out to $7893.00 and of course you all know whats included in Luxury so no need to list what they are. Whats cool though is I know the Sales Rep from my Marine Corps days and either way he said I will end up w a RX that has the 20" Wheels!

So just need to look at the difference in Lease numbers between the two now - and must admit - they are REALLY close folks! Seems biggest difference lies in putting down 2k or 5k for initial deposit ya know? And yes I realize I won't be getting any of that 5k back too.

I will surely back brief you on what I select - but am VERY VERY thankful for what you posted here. Matter of fact I even showed my buddy the Rep and he said Corrado knows his stuff! LOL

TTYL

Gunny OUT!!