GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 01:43 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Spark plug replacement

Has anyone replaced theirs yet? How difficult was it to get to them ? Do you have to take anything off, like an intake ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-17, 05:40 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I waited past 60k to change mine... plug in cylinder 1 exploded and damaged my motor. 1 brand new head & shortblock later I'm here to say... get it done. It's not hard.

Last edited by ARISTOh; 06-17-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 10:41 PM
jdmshawn11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did mine 2 weeks ago, i do not need to take off anything if i remember correctly. it took me 30 mins.
Old 06-19-17, 08:04 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
I waited past 60k to change mine... plug in cylinder 1 exploded and damaged my motor. 1 brand new head & shortblock later I'm here to say... get it done. It's not hard.
Did they fix it under warranty? Iridium plugs should last at least 90K miles.
Old 06-19-17, 08:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Iridium plugs should last at least 90K miles.
The Iridium spark plugs will last over 200k miles with no diminish in fuel mileage or performance.

Replacing the spark plugs at 60k miles is 'Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty'. Therefore, if you are not concerned with voiding the Emission Control Warranty, then there is no need to replace the spark plugs. I personally would not replace the spark plugs.
Old 06-19-17, 10:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Iridium spark plugs will last over 200k miles with no diminish in fuel mileage or performance.

Replacing the spark plugs at 60k miles is 'Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty'. Therefore, if you are not concerned with voiding the Emission Control Warranty, then there is no need to replace the spark plugs. I personally would not replace the spark plugs.
But if there was some kind of premature deterioration, manufacturing defect, or installation issue and it caused engine damage like ARISTOh experienced, then you'd be glad you still have that warranty, right?
Old 06-19-17, 10:54 AM
praetor
Racer

The warranty mentioned above has to do with the emission systems and not power train. So if you fail your emissions test, then Lexus fixes your crap for free.
Old 06-19-17, 10:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
But if there was some kind of premature deterioration, manufacturing defect, or installation issue and it caused engine damage like ARISTOh experienced, then you'd be glad you still have that warranty, right?
Engine damage caused by a [young or old] spark plug? That would be extremely rare indeed...

I have never heard of a spark plug exploding and damaging the engine as ARISTOh experienced. Have you?

Even dedicated race engines with minimal clearances in the cylinders, very high compression, intense pressures and heat, and extreme rpm do not have physical spark plug failures...

Think about it - billions of miles are driven every single day without a spark plug physically damaging the engine.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-19-17 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-19-17, 11:04 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
The warranty mentioned above has to do with the emission systems and not power train. So if you fail your emissions test, then Lexus fixes your crap for free.
I see...but wouldn't you also void your Powertrain Warranty (72 months/70K miles) too if you don't perform the spark plug replacement at the indicated interval?

It may be rare, but a possibility...definitely wouldn't want to pay for those repairs out of pocket.
Old 06-19-17, 11:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I see...but wouldn't you also void your Powertrain Warranty (72 months/70K miles) too if you don't perform the spark plug replacement at the indicated interval?

It may be rare, but a possibility...definitely wouldn't want to pay for those repairs out of pocket.
The answer is - no...
Old 06-19-17, 11:11 AM
praetor
Racer

It is my understanding the two are separate. In this day and age, changing spark plugs at 60K is ridiculous. I've also had a spark plug blow on my old Camry going 55+MPH. Besides running a tad rough, I was able to limp it home and replace the bad plug. But people will always argue the better to be safe than sorry strategy so to each his own.
Old 07-15-19, 06:11 PM
uncle
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is absolutely a coil problem,

The original dealer proved that, but failed to replace the bad coil, and changed the failed part (plug) that was sympathetic to the coil. In turn the spark plugs are continually damaged. Buy an OBDII Code Reader, and the next time this happens, identify the bad cylinder and replace the coil. Check the plug, it may have been damaged also, but it is the coil. It is not: the injector, not a vacuum leak, not the plug, not the harness or any of the other things identified in these post. It is the coil.
Old 07-19-19, 06:03 AM
zychek789
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will replace the #1 cylinder coil and spark plug . I finally found a blown DTC fuse under the dashboard that restored the operation of my OBDII Code Reader. The prior record keeping may be in error. You don't know unless you do it yourself. The air intake assembly is not that easy to remove , but I am getting good at it. Thank You "UNCLE" for your reply.
Old 07-19-19, 10:03 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The worst spark plugs are from Ford. Breaks in half when you remove them!
Old 07-20-19, 07:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2GR
The worst spark plugs are from Ford. Breaks in half when you remove them!
I didn't know Ford made spark plugs - never seen or heard of the brand.

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement