RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question on S-Flow

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 04:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Question on S-Flow

My 2017 450h will occasionally activate SFlow. Even when I hit the button on the dash it to turn it off, when I restart the next time SFow will be on again. I prefer SFlow to stay off and all front vents to have cold air. What do I need to do to stop it from ever using SFlow, no matter if there is a passenger or not. On the 450h AC is practically free and cost little to nothing as it uses electric motors to run the AC compressor. I see no purpose in SFlow on the 450h.
Old 06-05-17, 06:19 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I'm with you Greg. I would like it to flow even when there is no passenger. I am under the impression that it is an automatic function that will disable air flow to the passenger seat area when it does not detect a passenger.

I can turn the s flow off but only when using the ac/heating controls in manual mode. I don't use the Auto ac/heat mode to make this happen. I just don't use the auto function. I suspect if your are using the auto mode the sflow will always be active.
Old 06-05-17, 08:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord
I'm with you Greg. I would like it to flow even when there is no passenger. I am under the impression that it is an automatic function that will disable air flow to the passenger seat area when it does not detect a passenger.

I can turn the s flow off but only when using the ac/heating controls in manual mode. I don't use the Auto ac/heat mode to make this happen. I just don't use the auto function. I suspect if your are using the auto mode the sflow will always be active.
That is what I thought, what a shame.

Thanks for confirming it.
Old 06-05-17, 09:32 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If you open one of the rear doors prior to getting in, it tricks the system to think there are rear seat passengers and S-flow stays off.

I do wish there was an option to turn off auto engagement of S-flow though.
Old 06-05-17, 10:10 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

If I remember there is an option to turn it off on the carrista app
Old 06-05-17, 09:21 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it might be triggered by changes in drive mode. You could set your pref in the custom setting (fsport). I prefer mine off as the vents are kind of weak in the hot sun. The left driver side vent is poorly positioned to where the air doesn't blow far enough to the center to hit my face.
Old 06-06-17, 03:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
If I remember there is an option to turn it off on the carrista app
If so then the dealer should be able to do it at the 5K.
Old 07-11-17, 10:11 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Insufficient Cooling on The Drivers Side in S-Flow Mode

I think this has been discussed before but I could not find the thread. When I am alone in my '17 RX, the S-Flow mode usually (not always) prevents the AC from coming out on the passenger side. I understand the reason for this but in these cases I do not get sufficient cooling and must each time press the dash button to provide AC to both sides (without lowering the temperature setting). Then I get sufficient cooling on the drivers side. Have others experienced this? And is there a way to permanently keep the the passenger side on?

From the 2017 Owners Manual:
■ S-FLOW mode
In S-FLOW mode, priority for the airflow is given to the front seats, reducing
the airflow and air conditioning effect on the rear seats.
If a passenger is not detected in the front passenger seat, priority for the airflow
will be given to the driver's seat only.
In this case, the temperature indicator for the front passenger side will turn off.
S-FLOW mode will be activated automatically according to the set temperature,
outside temperature, etc. (→P. 504)
The following users liked this post:
DGarth350 (08-24-17)
Old 07-11-17, 10:29 AM
FastFord
Racer

Permanently...no. Goes back to default mode after shutdown. There might be a way to do it with some tech instrument, but I do not have any info on that.
On those really hot days when I first start the car I just push the button...assuming one is driving alone. Kind of wish the vehicle did not have so many defaults. Leaving the car in the mode you left it would probably be an option many would rather have. oh well just push another button.
Old 07-11-17, 05:19 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Solenoid Plunger?

Originally Posted by FastFord
Permanently...no. Goes back to default mode after shutdown. There might be a way to do it with some tech instrument, but I do not have any info on that.
On those really hot days when I first start the car I just push the button...assuming one is driving alone. Kind of wish the vehicle did not have so many defaults. Leaving the car in the mode you left it would probably be an option many would rather have. oh well just push another button.
Or we can mount a solenoid plunger that presses the button whenever the car is started.
ggebhardt (07-12-17)
Old 07-12-17, 03:58 PM
dudeiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for asking, but what is Sflow? mine RX doesnt seems to have it.

My RX is the LatinAmerican Version.
Old 07-13-17, 06:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

S flow is described in post #8 above
Old 09-21-17, 06:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Sorry about the double post but Lexus WAS able to disable S-Flow using their techstream. Disabled for good!
FastFord (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 06:31 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe it is just me, but I actually prefer S-Flow on. Most of the times I am the only person in my RX. But since I never adjust passenger's vents toward me, I do not see the point to keep passenger's vents on.

However, in this summer, I noticed that S-Flow usually is off automatically. The passenger side temperature is still showing and the passenger vent (at least the one close to driver's side) has the same air flow as mine. Even with the S-Flow switch on, I only saw it was activated when outside temperature is close to my set temperature.
Old 09-21-17, 08:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by guxu
Maybe it is just me, but I actually prefer S-Flow on. Most of the times I am the only person in my RX. But since I never adjust passenger's vents toward me, I do not see the point to keep passenger's vents on.

However, in this summer, I noticed that S-Flow usually is off automatically. The passenger side temperature is still showing and the passenger vent (at least the one close to driver's side) has the same air flow as mine. Even with the S-Flow switch on, I only saw it was activated when outside temperature is close to my set temperature.
I live in Florida and find that all vents on cools the vehicle much quicker. Very seldom does anyone ride with me so all vents are skewed towards the driver.

Quick Reply: Question on S-Flow