Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus CT200h likely to be discontinued in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Lexus CT200h likely to be discontinued in the U.S.

According to Car and Driver (which is generally a credible source), the CT200h will soon be on the way out of the American market. There are apparantly no plans for an American-spec 2018 version.

Aside from its nice, high-quality NuLuxe upholstery (some of the best imitation leather I've ever seen) I wasn't a terribly big fan of this car to start with. I stated, when I first reviewed it, that I thought it was more fitting of a Toyota nameplate than a Lexus. However for several years, it did (admittedly) sell reasonably well as a Lexus, until sales started to dry up.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-lex...8/#more-400532

The Lexus CT200h Is Dead: Hybrid Hatch Won’t Return for 2018

MAY 26, 2017 AT 12:15 PM BY JOSEPH CAPPARELLA

The Lexus CT200h has reached the end of the line. Lexus said the hybrid hatchback won’t return for the 2018 model year, at least in the United States; it’ll continue to be sold elsewhere for the foreseeable future. The CT first arrived in 2011 and has been Lexus’s smallest and least expensive offering for several years now.

We’re not too surprised by this news, given the CT’s age and dwindling sales numbers. Lexus sold just 8903 copies of the CT200h in 2016, a fraction of the sales numbers enjoyed by other entry-luxury models such as the Mercedes-Benz CLA-class (25,792) and the Audi A3 (31,538) during the same time frame. The CT200h’s hybrid drivetrain, shared with the previous-generation Toyota Prius, had also started to look outdated, with its 42-mpg EPA combined fuel economy far outclassed by the latest Prius and its 52-mpg rating.

So what’s next for the low end of Lexus’s lineup? A new subcompact crossover called the UX is on its way, and it is likely to have a hybrid variant that will act as a sort of de facto replacement for the CT. Until then, the cheapest way to snag a new L-badged vehicle will be the $36,260 NX crossover—or perhaps a discount on one of the remaining 2017 CT200h models still found at Lexus dealers for now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 12:39 AM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never really liked this car either, won't be missed.
Old 05-29-17, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What do you think, Jill? (I'm not trying to troll, just wonder out of curiosity) You told us earlier you didn't care for the one you owned, yet include it in your CL call-sign.

I myself liked the car's build-quality and fit/finish (and especially the NuLuxe upholstery)...but I thought the econobox ride and refinement level were not worthy of the Lexus nameplate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 07:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My cousin has this car purchased used, never really asked him what he likes about it, as he has had many cars including a 545i, X5 4.8, Mistsubishi EVO not sure which one, etc. He's asked me a lot of questions about the LS430, so meaning he likes cars, not sure why he got the hybrid to add to his stable, maybe for driving around NYC, not sure...
Old 05-29-17, 08:06 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Lexus could go the route that Infiniti is following with the Q30 / QX30. The 2 models are the same car but the Q30 is the "hot hatch" version that sits lower, while the QX30 is the crossover utility vehicle version that has been butched-up with plastic cladding and a higher ride height. Deciding that the hatchback model would not sell in fashion-conscious North America, Infiniti decided to sell only the QX30 "crossover" here. Yet, the QX30 is available with FWD.

Lexus could offer the CT replacement as a butched-up crossover in North America -- with a different name -- but offer an otherwise very similar vehicle in Asia and Europe as a hatchback car.
Old 05-29-17, 08:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CT200h was indeed a fix for HS250h. What they tried to fix/mask was the pure Toyota origin and experience of HS branded as Lexus. In some way effort worked and in the other not so much. They also tried the ride hatchback wave but couldn't predict that funky luxury compact sedans were the future of the segment. New A3 is all about being a sedan rather than the hatch and CLA paved the way for it. Anyway they are now rolling CUV dice to see where that gets them on the market. While some premium badgers had CUV for whole two generations before Lexus first venture in it I guess its never too late to join the party as long as you can tell what will party turn into.
Old 05-29-17, 10:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I never liked it, it was out of place in the Lexus lineup, more out of place then the HS. Only thing I liked about the CT was the dash design which looked good, I wish they had done the same type of theme with the GS, just nicer for the dash design.
Old 05-29-17, 02:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i briefly owned one and i really liked it. i guess not enough to keep it, but i thought it was a nice little hatch. i'm disappointed there won't be a second generation.
Old 05-29-17, 03:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So is the IS200t now the entry level Lexus??? Looked on Lexus website, they start at 37k, which is a lot more than the poverty spec Benz CLA, Audi A3, BMW 320i(or is it 318i).

I also wish they'd bring over the hybrid IS, they sell a lot of them in Europe. Make that the base model car, I think it has 220hp, good torque. Its probably just as responsive and refined as the current base 4 cylinder turbo but gets a lot better MPG.
Old 05-29-17, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So is the IS200t now the entry level Lexus??? Looked on Lexus website, they start at 37k,
Yes, that will be the American-market entry-sedan, though the NX (the entry-level SUV) starts at a slightly cheaper 35K.
Old 05-29-17, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

No loss, I've had a couple as loaners. I would go so far as to call them terrible.
Old 05-29-17, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Lexus could offer the CT replacement as a butched-up crossover in North America -- with a different name -- but offer an otherwise very similar vehicle in Asia and Europe as a hatchback car.
As I see it, though, no matter what official name or designation you give it, you still get back to the core problem......it simply does not have the refinement or comfort it should have to carry a Lexus nameplate.
Old 05-29-17, 05:47 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

With all the R&D Toyota invested in the new (2016) Prius, I would have genuinely loved to see what Lexus would have done as the next-gen CT....that said, with gas prices the way they are now, Lexus could use the resources to further focusthe UX/NX (plus remember they are coming out with the RX350L) line-up. An article I was reading on Motor Trend highlighted every brand's affinity for building SUV's (F-Pace accounted for 40% of Jaguar's sales, revitalizing the brand) which covered another topic we discussed here on CL with the SUV focus. My wife won't drive anything but an SUV, even for her 3 mile (round trip) daily trips to take the kids to/from school.
Old 05-29-17, 06:48 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, though, no matter what official name or designation you give it, you still get back to the core problem......it simply does not have the refinement or comfort it should have to carry a Lexus nameplate.
How can you say that for a car that has not yet been introduced, so that you have not even seen it, much less sat in and driven it?
Old 05-29-17, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I am agreeing with you way too much lately, Mike, but I had one as a loaner when I had my '13 GS and the road noise was terrible. I thought it was very subpar for Lexus.

Quick Reply: Lexus CT200h likely to be discontinued in the U.S.