RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 450h luxury vs NX 300h Premier vs RX 450h premier (but 1 year old)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 09:58 AM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX 450h luxury vs NX 300h Premier vs RX 450h premier (but 1 year old)

Hi guys,

I am in a bit of a pickle over choice of SUV. I would appreciate your help very much. My previous car was an IS. I have looked online and at dealerships and have shortlisted 3 candidates. 1 nx and 2 rxes.

I have never driven an NX or an RX before. I test drove both and clearly loved the Rx slightly better (NX prem vs RX lux 450h = slightly smoother) . To add to the confusion, there is a new Rx Luxury as well as now, a slightly old Rx premier (which they are bringing later in the week for me to test drive) which I think I might also be interested in.

I am slightly tilted towards the Rx for now, as although the premier NX version has all the specs (love the HUD and the 360 degree pan camera - but not sure if i will use it that frequently!!) and is 4k cheaper than the rx version, I feel I am going to get a better deal with the Rx in the longer term. My use will be around 10k-11k mileage per annum. I don't have a big family, but I do like the extra space for when long distance family come to visit.(occasional). The slightly old Rx premier is still more expensive (2k+) than the almost brand new Rx Luxury. The Rx has one option that the NX sadly hasn't and to me, the longer I think about it, the more it tilts me towards the RX - that is the sunroof - which opens up. I mean should i ever be in one of those hollywood movie situations and need to get out of my car and doors are jammed - I can always get out from the top! ... Poor joke. sorry!

Thank you for your personal thoughts and input.

However the opposing brain in me says - Long term maintenance would be more expensive for the Rx compared to the Nx. And resale values are better for premier models?? (although I am hoping , that like my IS , I keep it for 10 years). Still anyone who has bought one and then changed to other - your thoughts would be very much appreciated. I understand that it ultimately depends on how the car makes me feel when driving and it will be my personal choice, but sometimes others' personal stories and views do help negate or strengthen those tiny nigly inner doubts/ decisive thoughts that spring up from time to time and need supportive evidence.

price quoted
NX = £44k after part exchange / £455 pm pcp, New RX lux £48k ish/£485pm for pcp consideration, Rx Prem version 1 yr old 4k miles = £51k ish..

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated - especially what you would consider a good/better deal or a long term better pic. (say colours aren't a problem for me and are same /similar in all 3 shortlisted candidates) (ps. i know some may say that the NX and RX are two diff classes altogether, to me it is an SUV i want, lexus, and both the offers are in my budget at the moment. However if you think this is a stupid question, I am sorry)

Thanks again for any inputs

Last edited by goodduck; 05-28-17 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 10:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Hard choices. I do not think the RX450 would be more expensive to maintain than the NX. I drove the NX and there is a good bit of difference in ride and power and would suggest the RX450 but then I am a 450h owner twice over. They are nice vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 11:04 AM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thank you for your wise words.
So given your twice over experience, which one would you prefer, a brand new lux rx 450 h or a slightly older 450h premier ?

What to me it boils down to is Are the specs on premier etc worth it in the end?

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-17, 11:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goodduck
Thank you for your wise words.
So given your twice over experience, which one would you prefer, a brand new lux rx 450 h or a slightly older 450h premier ?

What to me it boils down to is Are the specs on premier etc worth it in the end?

Thanks again.
Not familiar with the Premier model. 85% of the 450h units are in the Luxury model at my dealer. Very few lack NAV or the ML radio. I think it may matter where you are to get different choices. My dealer ordered the 450h models pretty well loaded so choice are small. Currently all 4 450h units in stock are Luxury units.

What does the Premier include that the Luxury model lacks? We have the Premium package and upgrade to that would be the Luxury.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-28-17 at 11:27 AM.
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 11:35 AM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Where I am based at - Premier model includes : Panoramic 360 deg camera, Blind spot monitor, AVS, ML with 15 speakers (vs normal lexus audio in lux), Head Up Display, Semi aniline leather upholstery, Card key, LED cornering lights these are the main things I can find based on different specs which isn't on the luxury model.
Old 05-28-17, 01:44 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I had an NX as a loaner car. The wife and I went out for the day and did a fair amount of driving. Both agreed the ride was to harsh and the cabin felt cramped. As much as I am frustrated with my RX due to vibration I still think its a better choice if your looking for a luxury SUV.
If you decide on the RX take a very long test drive. Make sure you dont feel any vibration or hear any strange exhaust sounds. Even if its subtle it can get very annoying.
The following 2 users liked this post by tdjacw:
goodduck (05-28-17), jfz219 (05-31-17)
Old 05-28-17, 02:12 PM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Thanks both. ok. I will do that @ longer drive.
Old 05-29-17, 03:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

A RX and NX are the same cost to maintain. Remember Lexus is the third least expensive to maintain of all the manufacturers. Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
goodduck (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 04:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goodduck
Where I am based at - Premier model includes : Panoramic 360 deg camera, Blind spot monitor, AVS, ML with 15 speakers (vs normal lexus audio in lux), Head Up Display, Semi aniline leather upholstery, Card key, LED cornering lights these are the main things I can find based on different specs which isn't on the luxury model.
You Primier sounds like the Luxury package to me. My Luxury units have everything you list except the card key which I have never used on my LX.
goodduck (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 06:17 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Any NX compared to any RX are different vehicles. The NX wheelbase and generally firmer ride I find is the biggest difference.

Gas mileage in the NX is better, I don't know how it compares to the 450H
Cargo space, interior room, are these things important?

It's tough to decide if you like them both, I always lean towards a more well equipped vehicle.
goodduck (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 06:23 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
You Primier sounds like the Luxury package to me. My Luxury units have everything you list except the card key which I have never used on my LX.
If my memory serves me right, OP is based off of Europe somewhere (UK?). The Premier in the UK has two things we don't get in the US Luxury Trim: AVS and Adaptive (Matrix) High Beams.

As for picking between the NX and RX, I probably would have an NX right now if it had all the features that the Europeans get....and then I would have regretted it! We were originally shopping for the NX 300h and decided to wait for the RX when the US spec NX came out with the ugly Us spec front bumper and lack of any cool features (no HUD, AVS, PVM, etc.). After driving both the NX and RX, it was clear that the RX was the far better car. It drove better and felt more luxurious. The NX was almost as bad as the RAV4 hybrid I test drove. Sure the NX is a more manageable size and can take a corner better, but if luxury is your primary objective, get the RX.

Between the RX Premier and RX Luxury, I'd probably get the Premier just because it has all those great features. Sure it is a year old, but those toys are what make it special (now this is coming from a guy with every box ticked off on his RX!).
The following 2 users liked this post by Curryolla:
ggebhardt (05-29-17), goodduck (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 08:25 AM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

I am tilting towards the premier too.
Yes you are right - I am based in the UK.