RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Navigation, are most buying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 08:25 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navigation, are most buying?

are most of u buying cars with nav? I just did mostly bc finding non nav with all the other features is hard. Seems like a waste of 2k. I have nav in my denali and never use it, always use my phone, wake or google maps. Are you all using the nav in the rx? Will I grow to like it? Any other features come with the car by virtue of getting the nav? For example, 3rd gen seem to give u and upgraded stereo with more speakers as part of the nav pkg. I think this gen is simply a nav system for 2k and that's it.

Picking up car wednesday ...
Old 05-28-17, 08:54 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
are most of u buying cars with nav? I just did mostly bc finding non nav with all the other features is hard. Seems like a waste of 2k. I have nav in my denali and never use it, always use my phone, wake or google maps. Are you all using the nav in the rx? Will I grow to like it? Any other features come with the car by virtue of getting the nav? For example, 3rd gen seem to give u and upgraded stereo with more speakers as part of the nav pkg. I think this gen is simply a nav system for 2k and that's it.

Picking up car wednesday ...
never use the nav but you cant get the 12 inch screen without it

its nice to have some sort of backup just in case but its not worth it
Old 05-28-17, 03:39 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You will get used to it if you use it. If you start cussing at it, then not being patient to learn.
Skip voice commands, program your destinations on app then sync in the car.
Many options aren't available unless actually in a route.
Old 05-28-17, 11:00 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought GPS since I wanted 12" screen and 12 speakers.
Old 05-29-17, 04:51 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
You will get used to it if you use it. If you start cussing at it, then not being patient to learn.
Skip voice commands, program your destinations on app then sync in the car.
Many options aren't available unless actually in a route.

I love voice command for last minute change of destination to somewhere I don't know the area (like my kids friends house).
But for sure I pre-program the destination before hand (like for my son's hockey game).
Old 05-29-17, 04:59 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Little choice in my part of the country. Almost ever RX on the lot has NAV.

I am not real fond about the remote interface but is does the job for me.
Old 05-30-17, 06:15 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We ordered a custom built Lexus. We were forced to buy the navigation to get other features. I have a 2 year old MDX Advance. I bought there too, never used it. Google maps is what we use.
Old 05-30-17, 07:36 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I generally use Waze of Apple Maps, but I always still get the factory Sat Nav on more than 1 occasion I drove to a place without cell service and used the factory NAV to find my way back to civilization. Its safety thing. Since usually Apple, Waze, Google Maps will cache the directions. If you end up in a destination without cell reception you might not be able to get route guidance to go home!!!
Old 05-31-17, 07:25 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satnav
I generally use Waze of Apple Maps, but I always still get the factory Sat Nav on more than 1 occasion I drove to a place without cell service and used the factory NAV to find my way back to civilization. Its safety thing. Since usually Apple, Waze, Google Maps will cache the directions. If you end up in a destination without cell reception you might not be able to get route guidance to go home!!!
There are apps with offline maps, e.g. the free HERE Maps. Google Maps added offline mode too recently.
Old 06-07-17, 07:56 PM
vital350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guxu
Bought GPS since I wanted 12" screen and 12 speakers.
This^^^

Navi gives you bigger screen and upgraded sound.
Old 06-07-17, 10:57 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Like others have said, getting Nav allows you to get the 12.3" screen which really completes the look of the RX interior. You will also have the option for Mark Levinson. The interior just seems a little off when equipped with the 8" screen and the huge bezel. the non-Nav controller also isn't very intuitive and the **** feels cheap to touch.
Old 06-08-17, 08:14 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Is there a way to set a phone contact as the destination? The contact has an address.
Old 06-09-17, 08:38 AM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Is there a way to set a phone contact as the destination? The contact has an address.
Yes, most of my contacts have addresses, so it would help if we could us that as a destination.
Old 06-10-17, 05:48 PM
RiojaATX
Driver School Candidate

Didn't want navi, but it's near impossible to find F-Sports without all kinds of extra equipment. In my case, I had to get the navi/pano roof/triple beam LEDs. While I didn't want them and could live without them, they are nice to have and definitely increase desirability for resale.

The navi itself? a little less buggy than my 2014. I still can't get the voice command to work properly. But it sure impresses passengers when they see that big 12" screen.
Old 08-28-17, 05:41 PM
Coach1973
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation System

What are some of the advantages/extra features of having a navigation system in the 2017 RX350. Basically, it's a $2100 option. You can use your phone to get directions or find landmarks. Need advice here.

Quick Reply: Navigation, are most buying?