ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 05:24 AM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Change Interval

I just changed the oil in my 2014 ES 350 for the first cycle (bought it used and changed when I purchased) and used synthetic. I see where people say it is good for 10k miles but the maintenance reminder seems to go off at 5k miles. Does everybody just ignore the reminder or does it somehow sense the synthetic oil? Somebody told me there are sensors that detect how dirty it is but the reminders seem to go off at 5k miles. Thanks
Old 05-27-17, 05:52 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

While the oil change interval is 10,000 miles, there is other maintenance that Lexus recommends should be done at 5000 mile intervals, including tire rotations, fluid checks, etc. Most of the items in the 5000 mile checks are not critical. Many do rotate the tires at 5000 mile intervals, but there is no real issue if you just do that at 10,000 mile intervals when you change the oil

Because of those items that Lexus recommends to be done at 5000 mile intervals, that is why the reminder comes on at 5000 mile intervals (and the reminder has nothing to do with what kind of oil you are using).

Check your manual for instructions for how to re-set the maintenance reminder.
The following users liked this post:
CCLetoski (01-25-21)
Old 05-27-17, 01:27 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $24 labor.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
jjchicago (07-15-20), PhillyPhan (07-17-17), SteveES350 (08-31-21)
Old 07-17-17, 02:50 PM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership if so inclined. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $24 labor.
So you're only changing your oil every 10k miles. That will take some getting use to. It just doesn't seem right not to change it at least every 5k. Everything else you mentioned above I've been doing for all my cars the last 10 years. It's so much cheaper. I'm picking my Lexus up this Friday and started reading up more on things everyone is doing with their cars. I typically take my new cars in for an oil change right away when I buy them. I do as you stated. Buy the oil at Walmart/Amazon along with the oil filter. Take everything to the dealer and pay for labor only. I've never owned a Lexus so is it more typical to not replace the oil right away?
Old 07-17-17, 04:11 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I agree with everything you said Fred but I believe the oil change calls for 6.4 quarts. Folks can just pick up a couple extra individual quarts to make up the difference or buy two jugs for one change and save the extra and buy another jug next time around. Also, Exxon Mobil has a rebate a couple times a year - $12 for a 5 quart jug - limit of two. I bought two 5 quart jugs for just shy of $31 incl tax after rebate. Easy on line submission - check arrives in about 4-6 weeks.
Old 07-17-17, 04:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
I agree with everything you said Fred but I believe the oil change calls for 6.4 quarts.
You are correct in saying that the ES350 takes 6.4 quarts of oil. I believe that Fred has an ES300h, and the hybrid only takes 4.6 quarts of oil.
Old 07-17-17, 08:14 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Any hybrid drivers here having issues with the oil at 10k miles? I never go that far, here it's 10k km or about 6000 miles. I think the brake fluid replacement also depends on time. If your car doesn't get driven much, it could be years between brake fluid changes with the possibility of water accumulating in the system.
Old 07-17-17, 10:06 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Hybrid's pummel oil. 10K in my opinion is not achievable with an ES300h. 7,500 miles is a more optimistic OCI with proper filters and quality fuel. Hybrids are different in the sense that their engines are on off on off and on again. This is very hard on the oil.
Old 07-18-17, 01:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyPhan
So you're only changing your oil every 10k miles. That will take some getting use to. It just doesn't seem right not to change it at least every 5k. Everything else you mentioned above I've been doing for all my cars the last 10 years. It's so much cheaper. I'm picking my Lexus up this Friday and started reading up more on things everyone is doing with their cars. I typically take my new cars in for an oil change right away when I buy them. I do as you stated. Buy the oil at Walmart/Amazon along with the oil filter. Take everything to the dealer and pay for labor only. I've never owned a Lexus so is it more typical to not replace the oil right away?
Phillyphan... I'm with you... I'm old school ( cause I'm old ), but I just cannot bring myself to let my oil and filter changes go 10K miles.. heck it was hard for me to let them go 5K since I grew up changing oil every 3K miles.. but that was using good old fashion dino... so I change mine every 5 K using mobil 1 synthetic 15,000 mile extended performance oil ( 0w-20 ). I know there are those that say changing out a 15K mile oil at 5K miles is overkill, and it probably is... but it just gives me peace of mind to change it at 5000.

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 07-18-17 at 01:10 AM. Reason: mis-spelled a few things.
PhillyPhan (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 01:18 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Phillyphan... I'm with you... I'm old school ( cause I'm old ), but I just cannot bring myself to let my oil and filter changes go 10K miles.. heck it was hard for me to let them go 5K since I grew up changing oil every 3K miles.. but that was using good old fashion dino... so I change mine every 5 K using mobil 1 synthetic 15,000 mile extended performance oil ( 0w-20 ). I know there are those that say changing out a 15K mile oil at 5K miles is overkill, and it probably is... but it just gives me peace of mind to change it at 5000.

Poppa
Not overkill, but 7,000 miles is easily attainable with EP. But you never know without doing a UOA
Old 07-18-17, 08:39 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fully agree with danielTRLK regarding oil analysis. We all reside and travel in different areas where environment will have an effect on your oil. eg humidity in the air, dust, cold weather (-20F and colder), long hill climbs in very hot weather etc. 10k mile oil change intervals are achievable in most cars and small trucks. Pulling a trailer or a heavy load may alter the results somewhat. I have been doing oil change intervals at 12 to i5k for the last 15 years with no problems whatsoever. I arrived at the figure by doing oil analysis. I knew the owner very well and he provided me with these at n/c. I have been driving Toyotas and lexus since 1992. One of the best decisions I have ever made. I copied the excerpt below from a reply I made previously.
The big reasons for visc changes and extended oil change intervals has 2 underlying factors.
1. The advent of Top Tier Gasoline. This gasoline has much lower sulfur compounds due to advanced refining processes imposed by the government and car manufacturers. This translates to longer oil change intervals as sulfur entering the crankcase thru blow-by, speeds up the acid forming process which in turn speeds up neutralizing the additive pack in the oil which is alkaline. In other words, lowers the TBN of the oil. Oil analysis will show the present tbn of the used oil. The new value is readily available on the internet for most oils. If not, the firm doing your analysis will have it. When the tbn level reduces by 1/2 (eg 12.5 to 6.0). change your oil pdq. Your analysis will most likely start showing rises in the wear metals.
2. CAFE requirements (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) imposed by the government to get car & truck manufacturers to lower fuel mileage requirements in stages. This started early in the new millenium as I recall. Failure to meet standards raised a hidden tax on your vehicle which you ended up paying.

In 2011 or so The manufacturers were able to convince the government to let up on the tax somewhat through a convoluted formula to lower the tax because the manufacturers 1) were now going to recommend lower visc syn. oils which would increase fuel mileage and 2) with the advent of Top Tier Gas they were able to extend oil change intervals and reduce pollution which the government bought.
I see no problem at all using 0w20 in a new or low mileage engine whether it ran on dyno or syn oil. Anybody who is concerned about increased oil consumption should run a consumption test with the first change of oil for peace of mind. .
Old 07-18-17, 09:45 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i feel comfortable doing whatever the Owner's Manual suggests. no more, no less.
jollick (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 10:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
i feel comfortable doing whatever the Owner's Manual suggests. no more, no less.
+1 - I'm with you Gekko...
Old 07-18-17, 10:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gekko
Originally Posted by bc6152
+1 - I'm with you Gekko...
+1 for me, too.

Synthetic oils have been around for long enough, and car manufacturers have been recommending 10,000 mile (or more) oil change intervals for long enough that, if there were any significant issues with those intervals, including long term issues, we would know about it by now.
Old 07-18-17, 11:13 AM
Interapid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by lesz
+1 for me, too.

Synthetic oils have been around for long enough, and car manufacturers have been recommending 10,000 mile (or more) oil change intervals for long enough that, if there were any significant issues with those intervals, including long term issues, we would know about it by now.
I agree. I think I will listen to what a large crew of the people who designed the car, and have a lot to loose if they recommend the wrong thing, rather than recommendations from the internet.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval