Smoking Rear Brake Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 11:01 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Smoking Rear Brake Rotor

Hey CL,

recently over the last few months every so often I would pull back into my garage and park to then notice smoke coming from the rear rotor. I replaced both rear sides about a year ago due to the common seized guide pin problem. To remedy this I've tried regreasing all hardware with generous amounts of Permatex Brake Lubricant and it "seems" to last a while until the problem occurs again. I'm quite surprised I'm in the position once again in replacing the rear caliper. Checking around the forums, it seems like people have suggested - if not the seized caliper - possibly a wheel bearing issue? I did get one side's bearings replaced while doing a CV axle job and that side doesn't seem to be burning up.

While cooling down the rotor(when it's red hot and smoking) I can hear a sort of squeaking noise that's very apparent and the caliper shifting back into it's neutral position so I'm possibly guessing it could be a piston problem this time?

Any input would be great. Thanks

-note - sorry Mods forgot to put this in the suspension and brake section

Last edited by Aspect; 05-25-17 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:44 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like another seized caliper to me, pull the wheel off and check it. Or if the parking brake has been messed with, maybe it's dragging. Wheel bearing are pretty loud once they get bad, I'd expect you'd hear it wearing out.
The following users liked this post:
Aspect (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Assuming that the brake pads and rotors are correct for the car, and the correct brake hardware is being used, it's probably another bad caliper.
The following users liked this post:
Aspect (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 01:33 PM
Aspect
Racer

I figured as much. It's so disappointing that the rear calipers for the IS250 are faulty POS. I even started browsing rear brake BBKs just for the hell of it to see how much it'd cost to solve it once and for all. I don't know if it's the design or not as the IS350 have almost identical rear calipers as well no? In terms of operation anyways.

Thankfully I had a car-lifetime warranty for the rear calipers so I'll just go back to the shop and get them replaced.
Old 05-26-17, 04:22 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
I figured as much. It's so disappointing that the rear calipers for the IS250 are faulty POS. I even started browsing rear brake BBKs just for the hell of it to see how much it'd cost to solve it once and for all. I don't know if it's the design or not as the IS350 have almost identical rear calipers as well no? In terms of operation anyways.

Thankfully I had a car-lifetime warranty for the rear calipers so I'll just go back to the shop and get them replaced.
The IS350 caliper the same design, just slightly bigger. I purchased a used set of front and rear is350 calipers to put on my 250. One of the rear calipers was seized. I was able to take it apart. One of the slider pins was rusted and also the inside housing of the slider pin. The piston and piston well were also rusted. Had to buy a new rear piston because it as all pitted up from the rust. I rebuilt all four calipers, which cost more money than just buying new ones.
Old 05-26-17, 04:26 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by XSV
The IS350 caliper the same design, just slightly bigger. I purchased a used set of front and rear is350 calipers to put on my 250. One of the rear calipers was seized. I was able to take it apart. One of the slider pins was rusted and also the inside housing of the slider pin. The piston and piston well were also rusted. Had to buy a new rear piston because it as all pitted up from the rust. I rebuilt all four calipers, which cost more money than just buying new ones.
just as I thought, cept not that many IS350 owners have the same problem I think... or maybe it's a sampling bias of the distribution of IS250s in more Northern areas with snow and salt versus IS350s that tackle the same environment.

Anyways well at least you now have a set of freshly rebuilt 350 brakes
Old 05-29-17, 09:04 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The 350 brakes do the same thing. It's happened to mine twice over the years and I have a 350 that has never seen salt or snow. I've always been able to get mine apart though, so I've never replaced one. Last time it happened I just cleaned them up really good, put new rubber boots on and pack them full of grease. Now I just check/regrease them every few months to avoid the problem. I don't use a light coat of grease, I pack it absolutely full. If it's full of grease, there is no where for moisture to collect. Just make sure it's not oozing out onto things it should be on. To bad they just didn't put a grease zerk on the blind side of the pin so you didn't even have to pull the wheel off to grease it.
Old 05-29-17, 12:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
just as I thought, cept not that many IS350 owners have the same problem I think... or maybe it's a sampling bias of the distribution of IS250s in more Northern areas with snow and salt versus IS350s that tackle the same environment.
If my car is any indication, the IS350 rear calipers are equally susceptible to the problem. I've had it happen twice. And that's not including whatever the dealer did when the car was recalled for this problem not long after I bought it new.
Old 05-29-17, 05:05 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine did that when I picked it up. Dealer said common issue with handbrake (emergency brake) being adjusted to tight. Reason was owners didn't like emergency pedal going so close to the floor.
Backed it off, all good.
Old 05-30-17, 06:25 AM
Aspect
Racer

Damn... I thought maybe an IS350 brake upgrade would be the fix but looks like a fixed caliper BBK would be the only way to get rid of this fault with our cars
Old 05-30-17, 09:12 PM
Aspect
Racer

Well everyone I've got the rear caliper replaced and everything is fine and dandy. Even went on the backroads for a bit and no smoke woot!
Old 05-31-17, 01:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Good to hear! Sucks that the caliper slide pin seal design is sub-par.