IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lease return appraisal with mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 02:50 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lease return appraisal with mods

Hey guys. I've read several threads that mention that it's fine to do mods as long as you return the car back to stock when returning it. My question is regarding the appraisal process. I just got a call asking if I would be interested in an early return (6 months away now) and asked if I wanted to come in to get an appraisal on my car. Would I need to take all my mods off for this process before a final decision on whether or not I'm going to return it? I definitely want to return it and get a new vehicle, but my concerns are any additional fees that might come up from minor damages (rock chips) and my high mileage.

Just got exhaust, intake, front lip, spoiler, carbon wrapped interiors, shift **** replacement, and painted calipers.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-25-17, 03:56 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Since you plan to return the car.. sell me your parts =D

But to your questions, I work at a dealer. And we had a trade in IS with aftermarket lips, side skirts, etc. It doesn't put value on the car, we take them off before selling it as certified pre-owned,

Rock chips is normal wear and tear, they won't ding you on that. However, they will ding you if you went over your mileage that was stated in the contract. Not sure how much per excess mile. Maybe 10-25 cents per mile?
The following users liked this post:
anamynous (06-05-17)
Old 05-26-17, 06:10 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Definitely part out your aftermarket modifications. The dealers values them at nothing. They won't hit you for them but they also wont pay you for them. Swap on your stock parts and sell the parts here for a little extra pocket cash.

If you don't have stock parts do some trades with members here and make them cover shipping + a little extra.
anamynous (06-05-17)
Old 05-26-17, 09:37 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Thanks guys. Yea I'm definitely planning on taking them off and putting the stock parts back on if I decide to return it. From what both of you are saying it sounds like I can just take my car the way it is for the appraisal process, but I guess I don't know how they would value the car if let's say the stock exhaust or the stock intake are not on the car during the appraisal. How would they know the condition of those parts without looking at them? Should I take the parts with me in the trunk or something? Lol.

Also nathantse, since you work at a dealership, do they usually ding you a lot for painted calipers?
Old 05-26-17, 11:18 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by anamynous
Thanks guys. Yea I'm definitely planning on taking them off and putting the stock parts back on if I decide to return it. From what both of you are saying it sounds like I can just take my car the way it is for the appraisal process, but I guess I don't know how they would value the car if let's say the stock exhaust or the stock intake are not on the car during the appraisal. How would they know the condition of those parts without looking at them? Should I take the parts with me in the trunk or something? Lol.

Also nathantse, since you work at a dealership, do they usually ding you a lot for painted calipers?
That, I don't know. If your just doing an appraisal, go ahead and ask your dealer. Each dealership is different. Some may be more lenient on stuff.

Last edited by nathantse; 05-26-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 04:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by anamynous

Another factor is the dealership you deal with and the person evaluating your car... I have returned lightly modded Lexus vehicles back without a single complaint or even a single cautionary comment about my mods. From my experience, the dealer will prioritize the visual aspects of the car and wear-tear (dents, scratches, tire life, pad life etc) over cosmetic mods unless it's something really appalling to their eyes

Of course, if you plan on getting another Lexus at that dealer, the concern will be moot.
anamynous (06-05-17)
Old 05-27-17, 01:13 PM
pizzafan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i highly doubt the car is worth more than the residual value, so be wary that if they say 'we'll take over the payments' that they don't screw you on the price of your new car
anamynous (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 12:29 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Thanks guys for all your input. Just wanted to give you an update in case anyone was curious. They kept calling me to come in so I asked the person if I needed to take my mods off before the appraisal and she told me to just bring it in the way it is. I think the guy only took like 10 mins to look at the car and didn't mention anything about the mods being a problem. They were willing to take the car back the way it is, but I told them I wanted to take my mods off to put on my new one. They are willing to pay the remaining 6 months lease payment for me but I would have to pay for my mile overage. I am currently negotiating with the sales guy to make sure I get a good deal on the next car.
Old 06-05-17, 12:55 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

they can appraise based off vin site unseen...or they can lowball you by seeing it.
Old 06-05-17, 01:00 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzafan
i highly doubt the car is worth more than the residual value, so be wary that if they say 'we'll take over the payments' that they don't screw you on the price of your new car
this...

if it's not a corporate pull-ahead program, i wouldn't waste my time.
anamynous (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 01:34 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pizzafan
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
this...

if it's not a corporate pull-ahead program, i wouldn't waste my time.
Got it! I'll make sure they don't try to screw me on the new car. If they do I'll just tell them I'm going to wait it out.
Old 06-05-17, 08:07 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

How does one know if it's a "corporate pull-ahead" program?
Old 06-06-17, 12:38 PM
Nickf500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said you painted the calipers. did you keep them painted on return or change color back
Old 06-06-17, 01:18 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nickf500
you said you painted the calipers. did you keep them painted on return or change color back
Lol I left everything the way it was. And they were willing to take it that day the way it was. But I'm still negotiating with them and think I'll have a final decision on Friday when I go see them again, so I can update you if they give me any issues if I do end up returning it.
Old 07-28-17, 05:17 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
How does one know if it's a "corporate pull-ahead" program?
It's basically when the manufacturer runs the promotion.

example...
BMW USA = okay.
NYC BMW = NOT OKAY