Regular Oil vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 11:49 AM
atullathia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular Oil vs Synthetic Oil

Grettings:
I bought a used Lexus ES 350 and there are two owners previous to my purchase.
Second owner and has used regular oil for the past two years from 23,000 miles to current 66,000 miles

I don't know what kind of oil was used was used by first owner?

Should I use synthetic oil or continue with the regular oil that is being used now.

I would like to do the right thing.

Your perspective and input will be appreciated as I an not a technical person.

Thanks in advance.
Atul
Old 05-25-17, 11:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Synthetic, as the manual states.
The following users liked this post:
atullathia (05-25-17)
Old 05-25-17, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by atullathia
Grettings:
Second owner and has used regular oil for the past two years from 23,000 miles to current 66,000 miles

Should I use synthetic oil or continue with the regular oil that is being used now.

Thanks in advance.
Atul
You can continue to use "regular" oil or change to full synthetic. Lexus recommends 0W20 - not "regular" oil. I don't know when Lexus started using full synthetic, but I have a 2013 and the recommended oil is 0W20 full synthetic. As far as I am aware, all years after 2013 are using full synthetic. You don't state what year your car is but if you have a manual it should indicate which weight and kind of oil should be used. If you choose to change to full synthetic you may simply do it at your next oil change. Full synthetic also offers a longer oil change interval as it doesn't degrade as "regular" oil does. Lexus states that you may go 10k miles using 0W20 full synthetic oil. Hope this info helps you.
Old 05-25-17, 01:51 PM
atullathia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
You can continue to use "regular" oil or change to full synthetic. Lexus recommends 0W20 - not "regular" oil. I don't know when Lexus started using full synthetic, but I have a 2013 and the recommended oil is 0W20 full synthetic. As far as I am aware, all years after 2013 are using full synthetic. You don't state what year your car is but if you have a manual it should indicate which weight and kind of oil should be used. If you choose to change to full synthetic you may simply do it at your next oil change. Full synthetic also offers a longer oil change interval as it doesn't degrade as "regular" oil does. Lexus states that you may go 10k miles using 0W20 full synthetic oil. Hope this info helps you.
Thank you so much for your input. My car is 2011 ES 350.
Old 05-25-17, 04:51 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by atullathia
Grettings:

Thanks in advance.
Atul
You are on the wrong forum. This section of the forum is for the 6 generation ES starting in 2013 model year.
But I looked up you car specification and the recommended oil viscosity is 5W 30, and the oil change interval is every 5000 miles or 6 months which ever occurs first. This doesn't apply to the 6 generation ES.
Even though for your car you can use regular oil, it is always better to use Synthetic oil.
For the 6 generation ES it is inappropriate to use regular oil.
Old 05-26-17, 03:30 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

If it were me, I'd go with Synthetic.. yes it's a bit more expensive, but Lexus is now saying you can change oil every 10K miles. Personally, I'm old school and I change mine every 5K miles. Overkill ? Probably, but it gives me peace of mind so I'm good with it. Not a mechanic by any means but pretty sure I read somewhere that you can go from conventional oil to synthetic with no ill effects, but you shouldn't go from synthetic to conventional... I'm not sure that is " gospel ", just something I thought I'd throw out there.. but yeah, I'd go with synthetic.

Poppa
Old 05-26-17, 06:31 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

To me it's a no-brainer. Changing from conventional to synthetic requires no incremental labor or filter costs. And the incremental costs of the synthetic over conventional oil itself is tiny in comparison to the many benefits you reap such as slightly increased gas mileage, better engine protection, easier starting (and less stress on the battery) and an extended oil change interval. I would just use the engine oil weight recommended for your 2011 vehicle rather than the 0-20 weight now recommended for the more current vehicles. As an aside, I started using Mobil 1 when it first came out, then switched to Red Line and now using Royal Purple.

Last edited by sderman; 05-26-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 01:59 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
To me it's a no-brainer. Changing from conventional to synthetic requires no incremental labor or filter costs. And the incremental costs of the synthetic over conventional oil itself is tiny in comparison to the many benefits you reap such as slightly increased gas mileage, better engine protection, easier starting (and less stress on the battery) and an extended oil change interval. I would just use the engine oil weight recommended for your 2011 vehicle rather than the 0-20 weight now recommended for the more current vehicles. As an aside, I started using Mobil 1 when it first came out, then switched to Red Line and now using Royal Purple.
Agree. Mobil 1 five quart jug is on sale at Walmart for $23. I buy my filters on line for $5. Labor cost $24 for the oil change. Total cost every 10,000 miles $52.
Old 05-26-17, 05:56 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree. Mobil 1 five quart jug is on sale at Walmart for $23. I buy my filters on line for $5. Labor cost $24 for the oil change. Total cost every 10,000 miles $52.
And a couple times each year Mobil offers a $12 rebate on a 5 quart purchase which further reduces the cost (limit 2 rebates per household). The current rebate period expires 5.31.17. Easy submission by uploading photo of receipt online - confirmed by email - check mailed in 6-8 weeks.
Old 06-05-17, 03:47 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
If it were me, I'd go with Synthetic.. yes it's a bit more expensive, but Lexus is now saying you can change oil every 10K miles. Personally, I'm old school and I change mine every 5K miles. Overkill ? Probably, but it gives me peace of mind so I'm good with it. Not a mechanic by any means but pretty sure I read somewhere that you can go from conventional oil to synthetic with no ill effects, but you shouldn't go from synthetic to conventional... I'm not sure that is " gospel ", just something I thought I'd throw out there.. but yeah, I'd go with synthetic.

Poppa
I agree with Poppa; go for synthetic. 5W30 is recommended for model year; kindly go for 5W30 Synthetic
Old 06-05-17, 04:07 AM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is some good information, http://www.mobil1.com.au/academy/what.aspx , though it is from an Oil Company.

I always go synthetic. Better all round product and as others have said, a little extra money for much better protection and peace of mind.
Old 06-05-17, 04:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Every test that I have seen/read states synthetic is better. The question however is it that much better considering the cost. Mobil 1 at Walmart is $23 for a five quart jug with a recommended change every 10,000 miles. Their least expensive brand of conventional oil which is their brand Supertech is $11.44. If this is changed every 5,000 miles the price is the same. If synthetic is not better why do car manufacturers recommend 5,000 miles for conventional and 10,000 miles for synthetic. I always revert back to two MIT graduates who happen to have had their own syndicated radio show Car Talk for decades who know a little about autos. From their site, "In my experience, and in legitimate testing, synthetic oil consistently performs better than dinosaur-bone oil. It lubricates better, makes engines last longer, improves mileage and takes longer to break down under the heat of engine use. A number of supposedly informed people say you can go nearly twice as long between oil changes with synthetic. If you did that, the cost would be the same over the life of the car".