GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 01:22 AM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what are your spring colors?

I had all of my shocks replaced under warranty. I have a 2010 base model. mine does lean to the right and I did not notice it before. there are color coded marks on the springs. I have blue on the drivers side and orange'ish on the passenger side. im just seeing what others have to make sure they didn't mix up the springs. the drivers side springs doesn't look like it sits well on the rubber isolator either. anyone have a picture of theres?
Old 05-19-15, 04:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by machine323
the drivers side springs doesn't look like it sits well on the rubber isolator either. anyone have a picture of theres?
You should be posting a picture of your questionable problem.
Old 05-20-15, 12:56 AM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are the pictures

Drivers side Spring

Drivers side top

Passenger side spring

Passenger side top

I know that the springs are different spring weights. I know of 4 runner people getting there shocks changed and the springs got reversed and caused a lean. I didn't notice it before the change but im not for sure if I really looked till I saw posts about the lean.
Old 05-20-15, 01:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Same here

Old 06-08-15, 08:31 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't look at my fronts, but for the rears mine are both the same: White/Orange.
Old 04-30-17, 02:39 PM
pwhanley7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2011 gx 460 shock absorbers/struts

My 2011 GX 460 has 120K miles.

I am wondering what the expected life of shock absorbers is for this vehicle. I understand that shock absorber replacements are very expensive - maybe $1,600 for both fronts and up to $3,000 for both rear shock absorbers. Should both front be replaced at the same time if one is leaking? Should all 4 be replaced when any 1 is replaced?

Is there any way to test condition of the shock absorbers?
Or just replace on visual signs of leakage?
Or do shock absorbers have an indefinite life?
Old 04-30-17, 03:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,563 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Unfortunately shocks don't last forever. How bad are they leaking? Can you visibly see it yourself?

Personally I would convert to the non-adjustable suspension & manual bags in the rear with those costs if was me. You probably wouldn't need the bags like I would since I tow.

If you aren't comfortable working on rig yourself I'd look for a reputable Toyota off-road shop. You may find one willing to help convert you for substantially less.

Rough Parts cost here for the DIYer would be around $523.26.each for the rears and around $302.58 for each of the front shocks. Labor is up in the air and something you would need to inquire about.

For comparison the non-adjustable shocks are like $50-60/each. There are some used adjustable on eBay if you want to take the risk but I personally wouldn't. If you did convert there will be a cost to add coil springs on the rear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GX460-2014-S...-/352044173604
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GX460-2014-S...-/391770598202

How long do you intend to keep this vehicle? How long have you had it?

Others have for more info than me but that is just my $.02.
Old 04-30-17, 03:57 PM
pwhanley7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

I bought the car new in 2011. I plan to drive t for several more years. I would be very willing to abandon the adjustable suspension. I never use it.

I am relying on the shop that sold me new tires a few months ago. They reported some leakage on one of the front struts. The want $1,600 to replace both front struts.

I would not attempt to perform any mechanical work on my Lexus. I do some work on my 1977 GMC 3/4 ton pickup that resides at my cabin in Montana. The 77 GMC don't require computers or metric wrenches!

Do you know of any reputable Toyota of road shop in the Seattle area (within 40 mile or so)? I'd like to contact someone and discuss this issue.
Old 04-30-17, 03:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I sent you a PM on some local options to try.
Old 05-01-17, 10:21 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would be hesitant to replace the shocks just because a tire shop was attempting an upsell.

Just saying, they are supposed to try that on every customer to drum up business. They could be fine or they could need replacement, but if it's not something you've ever noticed was an issue, you might want to take it with a grain of salt. Those place in particular are notorious for that sort of thing.

They are usually replaced in pairs, so both front or both back. But you don't need to replace all 4 at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
10acimport (06-05-22)
Old 05-02-17, 02:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

BradTank brings up good point... get another opinion. I actually drove a vehicle with a weepy shock for several years. It could just be a small weep as well.
Old 05-10-17, 02:13 PM
smacd70
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 2011 GX460 Base with 56K miles, and all 4 shocks needed to be replaced. Yes, SHOCKS. Everyone calls the front suspension parts on this vehicle "struts" but my Used Car warranty company assures me they are simply "coil over shocks", and they denied the claim for "front struts". They pointed me to the Lexus part description, and sure enough, they are "shock absorbers" not "struts".

Your local Lexus shop can send you a "service bulletin" that shows you pictures of what a shock that needs to be replaced looks like. PM me with an email address and I can send you the .pdf of the service bulletin, if you'd like. All shocks leak a little, unless they are new, and just because you see a little wet on the shock, doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. This service bulletin will show you exactly when they are leaking to the point that they should be replaced.

If you feel excessive "bounce" over bumps, or nose-dive when braking hard, the shocks are probably compromised and should be replaced, regardless of how much they are leaking.

The easiest way to observe the front shocks is to simply turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, get out and look into the wheel well past the tire. (use the flash on your camera to take a photo, if you can't see in there very well.) Compare any "wetness" on the shock with the service bulletin. (the "wet" areas are darker, and easily identified).

Typically, shocks only need to be replaced in pairs... just the front or just the rear. If one set is leaking, the other may be as well. That is what happened to me!

Google search for parts before buying from your local dealer. My dealer wanted $199 a piece for the front shocks. Lexus of Englewood, NJ wanted just $128.

Last edited by smacd70; 05-11-17 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-24-17, 08:59 PM
sclaiborne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks and Struts

My 2012 GX 460 (base) with 98k doesn't handle bumps and potholes every week.
I believe its time to replace the shocks and struts.
I found them online for 127 per strut and 50 per shock at https://www.lexuspartsnow.com
Anyone know a better place to get them or have any other ideas of what makes it hit so hard?
Old 05-25-17, 04:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

What former vehicles have you driven? Have you driven trucks or other BOF SUVs in the past?
Old 05-25-17, 08:26 AM
sclaiborne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've previously owned the following body on frame SUVs:

97' Land Rover Range Rover HSE replaced Air Ride with 2" Spring Lift (installed part-way through ownership) 117k
04' Lexus GX 470 Premium 130k
10' Toyota FJ Cruiser w/3" Rough Country Lift (performed before purchase) 85k
13' Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4 74k

I'm pretty confident that the shocks and struts are just worn, just looking for some confirmation from other owners.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Struts