RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What does this really mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 04:39 PM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What does this really mean?

Utilized the drivers section of the Lexus site for the first time, really liked it. Have appt to go see a vehicle this weekend so I registered and reviewed history, saw this post, made me wonder if the vehicle had body damage. Sent the following to the Lexus dealer and he said the lights were dull so they replaced them. Does this make sense? It is a certified 2015 w low miles

REPAIR# 0795358
REPORTED BY:
SERVICE: BODY REFINISH
DESCRIPTION:
SERVICE: BODY REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: REPAIR PER ESTIMATE ~ ~ ~ ~BODY REPAIRS COMPLETED 16003 MILES

Last edited by rdfish1; 05-24-17 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 05:13 PM
rdfish1
Driver

Update, dealer called and said he was mistaken the headlights were for another vehicle, he checked the computer and sees no record of the referenced body repair and has no idea what it is. He asked me where it came from. I did not tell him. The car fax is clean but I am a now a little u easy with this unexplained reference. How can I learn more, maybe I need to walk? Would this mean the work was done by Lexus? Not sure where these records come from
Old 05-24-17, 10:49 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Refinish means at most wet sanding, primer (unlikely), paint and clear coat.

If I was to venture a guess, would be front or rear bumper or very likely the hood.

Why dont you thoroughly examine each panel.

If after all that you are still in doubt, just walk away.

Salim
Old 05-25-17, 11:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sometimes entries are made for wrong vehicles. I had to file a correction with CarFax when my IS300 all of sudden added 100K miles during an out of nowhere tire service entry from a different state.
Old 05-25-17, 05:06 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why don't you go see the car, look it over, and ask the owner about it?
Old 05-26-17, 04:01 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Default Answer

The answer to this question is, the vehicle had scratches and required the Lexus collision center to conduct body work. This did not show up on carfax but fortunately for this site, I learned about the drivers club and was able to learn about this defect and address it with the dealer who was not disclosing it. Very disappointing. While I am going to see the paperwork to confirm, I am told it was scratches that could not be buffed out so body work was required but very small and inexpensive repair. However, the problem is, this car will always have a body shop defect that will hurt me at trade in bc not only is this record of late, there is a similar record 12 months ago, so two body repairs for scratches. The car is reportedly extremely clean, and I believe it is except this is a blemish I can't accept, even if not visible. Good price but not too good considering above
Old 05-26-17, 08:33 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
The answer to this question is, the vehicle had scratches and required the Lexus collision center to conduct body work. This did not show up on carfax but fortunately for this site, I learned about the drivers club and was able to learn about this defect and address it with the dealer who was not disclosing it. Very disappointing. While I am going to see the paperwork to confirm, I am told it was scratches that could not be buffed out so body work was required but very small and inexpensive repair. However, the problem is, this car will always have a body shop defect that will hurt me at trade in bc not only is this record of late, there is a similar record 12 months ago, so two body repairs for scratches. The car is reportedly extremely clean, and I believe it is except this is a blemish I can't accept, even if not visible. Good price but not too good considering above
There are other vehicles out there. Keep looking and you will find one.

You also mentioned "good price" ... the defect impact could be baked in to that or there may be more room to negotiate.
Personally, I would take a cosmetic blemish over unknown issues with the engine/drive/electronics/climate-comtrol.

Salim
Old 05-26-17, 01:55 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

"body work was required but very small and inexpensive repair:

I had a TV box hit my old 3RX and the large staples in the box caused $3,000 in damages. These were small scratches on the hood and fenders. They had to sand hood both fenders and part of the doors just to blend the paint properly. Too bad they didn't re-do the whole car as the paint work was better than factory.

I wouldn't worry too much about a small repair. Just look it over very closely and if Lexus did it it should be warrantied for the life of the car.