IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Frustrating dealership shadiness

Old 05-23-17, 04:41 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Frustrating dealership shadiness

/rant
I just went into my local dealership to get my rust recall done and I mentioned that my fuel door was not closing properly and sometimes just hangs wrong. The service attendant was GREAT and they need to hire more people like that young lady...

The mechanic who looked at the fuel door on the other had is a shady, lazy, lair. First he told the service attendant to return the car to me and mark the paper work that it was fine and there was nothing wrong with the fuel door. So I told the service attendant to have him come outside and I will show him the fuel door. I show him the fuel door was not firm and he goes "I don't see anything wrong" so I POINT right to it with my finger and wiggle it. Then he says I don't even know how to fix or look at it... WHAT aren't you the "chief mechanic" so I show him how to remove the door and inspect it as he says to me oh the body shop has to fix it because "it was probably in an accident see its slightly different in color" and starts scratching at my car with his thumb nail! I was like DUDE what are you talking about, an accident with only the FUEL DOOR, WHAT! He knows well there is no accident how do you even do that kind of mental gymnastics to make that statement make sense?!

He walks away. So the attendant checks the dealership record, that from the other dealerships and I tell her check the car fax and where ever else you feel like looking. Because I am now insulted and shocked that they are sticking with the accident on the fuel door theory. She looks up stuff and says there is nothing on the car, no accident, nothing. She leaves to go talk to the manager...

The service attendant comes back and says they are covering the fuel door as a one time "good will" gesture and it would cost $270 for just the part if I paid for it myself. At this point I am flat out shocked and pretty angry at this non-sense. I ask to talk to the manager myself because I just want to relay my frustration with 'it was probably in an accident' He says "I've never seen the car, it could have been in an accident like the mechanic says. I mean you don't bring it in here for service so..." Now he is clearly implying "come here for service and you won't have this problem" Why would I go there for service! The BUNCH OF SHADY C$%NTS

After the manager leaves the service technician apologizes for the whole thing about three times and says she will call me to get the car fixed.

The part is below it costs $33 not $270! did he think I wouldn't just go home and look it up myself!

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...k-tube,,77305A

rant/
Old 05-24-17, 12:55 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel your pain! Make sure you do the survey and/or call corporate. I had a similar issue and corporate finally resolved it.
Old 05-25-17, 05:17 AM
wenovias
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridiculous and condecending treatment!
I would write a letter to corporate, address it to their GM (can probably find it in their system). It'll be read, and if you make enough fuss, there will be a lot of pressure on the region to make it known to the dealer that they screwed up.
Can gaurantee they won't do this to you again if they heard from corporate!
Old 05-25-17, 01:18 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
/rant
I just went into my local dealership to get my rust recall done and I mentioned that my fuel door was not closing properly and sometimes just hangs wrong. The service attendant was GREAT and they need to hire more people like that young lady...

The mechanic who looked at the fuel door on the other had is a shady, lazy, lair. First he told the service attendant to return the car to me and mark the paper work that it was fine and there was nothing wrong with the fuel door. So I told the service attendant to have him come outside and I will show him the fuel door. I show him the fuel door was not firm and he goes "I don't see anything wrong" so I POINT right to it with my finger and wiggle it. Then he says I don't even know how to fix or look at it... WHAT aren't you the "chief mechanic" so I show him how to remove the door and inspect it as he says to me oh the body shop has to fix it because "it was probably in an accident see its slightly different in color" and starts scratching at my car with his thumb nail! I was like DUDE what are you talking about, an accident with only the FUEL DOOR, WHAT! He knows well there is no accident how do you even do that kind of mental gymnastics to make that statement make sense?!

He walks away. So the attendant checks the dealership record, that from the other dealerships and I tell her check the car fax and where ever else you feel like looking. Because I am now insulted and shocked that they are sticking with the accident on the fuel door theory. She looks up stuff and says there is nothing on the car, no accident, nothing. She leaves to go talk to the manager...

The service attendant comes back and says they are covering the fuel door as a one time "good will" gesture and it would cost $270 for just the part if I paid for it myself. At this point I am flat out shocked and pretty angry at this non-sense. I ask to talk to the manager myself because I just want to relay my frustration with 'it was probably in an accident' He says "I've never seen the car, it could have been in an accident like the mechanic says. I mean you don't bring it in here for service so..." Now he is clearly implying "come here for service and you won't have this problem" Why would I go there for service! The BUNCH OF SHADY C$%NTS

After the manager leaves the service technician apologizes for the whole thing about three times and says she will call me to get the car fixed.

The part is below it costs $33 not $270! did he think I wouldn't just go home and look it up myself!

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...k-tube,,77305A

rant/
There was a thread earlier about the gas door issue. I had to have mine adjusted, and then they replaced the whole thing. My service manager was the one who suggested just replacing the whole gas door. They did have to weld on a new door assembly. Took about a day.
Here's the thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ay-closed.html
Old 05-25-17, 04:06 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

To think that if they just looked up the information from Lexus we could have avoided this annoyance. Instead they just jumped to...blame the customer UGH. I am going to take the ride out of town to the place I bought the car. They have promised to fix the car for me and leave me with a cutesy loaner while they work on the car. BIG difference in dealerships. I am still a bit miffed at this nonsense!
Old 05-25-17, 04:16 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
There was a thread earlier about the gas door issue. I had to have mine adjusted, and then they replaced the whole thing. My service manager was the one who suggested just replacing the whole gas door. They did have to weld on a new door assembly. Took about a day.
Here's the thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ay-closed.html
Did they at least paint the areas where it was welded on? was it noticeable?
Old 05-25-17, 04:38 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Did they at least paint the areas where it was welded on? was it noticeable?
You don't see where the welding was done because they had to get into the trunk area to do it right. I dropped my car off on a Saturday, but the weekend tech wasn't able to do it. The guy who could didn't work weekends. I kept the loaner car for the weekend and they called me by 9am telling me it was fixed. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-25-17, 06:34 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
You don't see where the welding was done because they had to get into the trunk area to do it right. I dropped my car off on a Saturday, but the weekend tech wasn't able to do it. The guy who could didn't work weekends. I kept the loaner car for the weekend and they called me by 9am telling me it was fixed. Haven't had a problem since.
That's good to hear.
I have this issue as well. It doesn't bother me enough to take it to the dealer since it only happens maybe 10% of the time. It seems it just needs a stronger latch or spring.
Old 05-26-17, 06:55 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkonquer
That's good to hear.
I have this issue as well. It doesn't bother me enough to take it to the dealer since it only happens maybe 10% of the time. It seems it just needs a stronger latch or spring.
My gas door kept popping open every time I locked my doors.