ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

missing a quick physical AC on/off button control for Lexus 2016-2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 10:38 PM
xe2000us
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing a quick physical AC on/off button control for Lexus 2016-2017

it's kind of stupid idea to remove a physical AC on/off button control instead you have to go to the climate control through the display, a few more step reach to AC on/off control kind of a very stupid design to me.
Old 05-23-17, 03:48 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, thank the lucky stars you don't have a base model like mine which doesn't have Display Audio or Nav. The base model actually does have an AC On/Off button although there are no separate displays for temperature, all that info is shown on the main screen.

And I thought Toyota had efficient and lean supply chains... Looks like they can be just as messy as the next guy.
Old 05-23-17, 05:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You may well have hit upon what has been one of the most common complaints related to ergonomics for the Generation 6 ES. Since the Generation 6 ES was introduced, there have been a good number threads on this board about the lack of a dedicated button to turn the AC compressor on and off.

For me, I think that the Lexus did an excellent job with designing the ergonomics on the ES, but the only two complaints that I would have are both related to the operation of the climate control system. One is the absence of a dedicated button to turn the AC compressor on and off, and the other is that, whenever the outside temperature is above the mid 70s and the AC is turned on, the system defaults to the recirculate mode every time the car is started, and that can lead to air quality that feels somewhat stale compared to what is the case when the fresh air mode is used.
Old 05-23-17, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've owned Lexus vehicles for nearly 20 years...I've never had the need to turn "A/C" on or off. Just set the temp, hit AUTO and leave it alone
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
jollick (05-23-17), rriccardi (08-14-18)
Old 05-23-17, 01:04 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've owned Lexus vehicles for nearly 20 years...I've never had the need to turn "A/C" on or off. Just set the temp, hit AUTO and leave it alone
+1 Same here.
Old 05-23-17, 01:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My IS350 had a dedicated AC switch, but I never used it. Like others, I just set it to AUTO and let it do its thing.
Old 05-24-17, 08:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My IS350 had a dedicated AC switch, but I never used it. Like others, I just set it to AUTO and let it do its thing.
Oddly enough, our 2016 NX has the manual AC button, but I too just set it to auto and forget it.
Old 05-24-17, 10:57 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Having a manual button is important for owners who typically keep their cars ~ 5+ years and don't want to face the $1,000+ expense of compressor replacement caused by excessive wear from nearly continuous use when the system is in AUTO mode.
Old 05-25-17, 05:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Having a manual button is important for owners who typically keep their cars ~ 5+ years and don't want to face the $1,000+ expense of compressor replacement caused by excessive wear from nearly continuous use when the system is in AUTO mode.
I highly doubt we'll be seeing any compressor failures on these cars within a 5 to 10 year period, due to this.

It seems strange to me, but after seeing all the threads regarding this issue, it must really bother people. Ever since I bought my first car with auto climate control, I've just set it and let it do its thing. I thought it was one of the greatest advances in car technology. No more fidgeting with the temp, vent and fan controls. The only thing I dislike about the ES's climate control is the way it defaults to recirc mode above 70 something degrees.
Old 05-25-17, 05:12 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Old 05-25-17, 05:52 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I suspect that different people have different levels of sensitivity to varying levels of humidity.

For me, I find that, if the outside temperature is, say, 80 degrees, the dehumidified air that the car's climate control system produces feels great, and leaving the system in full auto mode under those conditions works well. On the other hand, when it is, say, 70 degrees and there is only a moderate amount of humidity in the air, to me, the dehumidified air often feels uncomfortable, and I would prefer to have fresh air with a bit more humidity blowing into the cabin. That is when I find it to be more comfortable to turn the AC compressor off.

What I find curious is that many, perhaps, most, Lexus vehicles do have a dedicated AC button, but, for some reason, the ES doesn't. If lack of space is the reason why there is not such a button on the ES, I find little need for the fan speed buttons, and I'd be happy with an AC button replacing the fan speed buttons.
The following users liked this post:
JWinTexas (09-25-18)
Old 05-25-17, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
?!?

I have had Lexus vehicles well longer than 5+ years, have always just left A/C on and left it to AUTO and have never replaced an AC compressor. My 03 ES is still in the family at 14 years and 190,000 miles and the original A/C compressor is chugging away. My 98 LS had 170,000 miles when it got traded, original AC compressor. No reason to turn the A/C on and off, thats what "AUTO" means...set it and forget it. The A/C compressor only engages when you need it, like your compressor in your home system.

In any event, a compressor replacement for this car isn't going to cost $1,000 lol. Maybe if you took it to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Mike728
It seems strange to me, but after seeing all the threads regarding this issue, it must really bother people. Ever since I bought my first car with auto climate control, I've just set it and let it do its thing. I thought it was one of the greatest advances in car technology. No more fidgeting with the temp, vent and fan controls. The only thing I dislike about the ES's climate control is the way it defaults to recirc mode above 70 something degrees.
It must be people who aren't used to or don't trust automatic systems. I too have had automatic climate control in cars for so long, it would never even occur to me to turn the A/C on and off. In fact, I've owned cars from different makes where that wasn't even an option at all. Fords and Lincolns had no A/C on/off function, nor did my Jeeps...in my Kia if you hit the A/C button it takes control away from AUTO, in AUTO you have no independent control of the compressor because its not necessary.

Just hit AUTO, set it to 72 and winter, summer, whatever it will take care of it.

I have friends though who don't use their AUTO systems as auto systems at all. They just have to have control and fiddle over the settings and all from years of having cars where they have to do that.

Originally Posted by lesz
What I find curious is that many, perhaps, most, Lexus vehicles do have a dedicated AC button, but, for some reason, the ES doesn't. If lack of space is the reason why there is not such a button on the ES, I find little need for the fan speed buttons, and I'd be happy with an AC button replacing the fan speed buttons.
But then people would post complaining how there are no dedicated fan speed buttons lol. For those people, they cannot fathom why Lexus would hide the fan speed buttons, buttons "of course everybody needs access to"...same as those of you lamenting the A/C button, a button I've never even touched.

They can't win. Bottom line is those manipulating the settings manually are using the unit contrary to the way the engineers intended for it to be used really, so there are going to be workarounds.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-25-17 at 05:58 AM.
jollick (05-25-17)
Old 05-25-17, 09:11 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I also prefer an AC on and off button. I just like the greater control, like if I'm leaving in the morning and I don't want it super cold, I just flip my AC off but have the fans keep running.

It also keeps that moldy smell down also because you can flip it off a few minutes from your destination and it dries out the evaporator.

If it were up to me, I would have ZERO climate control through a computer screen. I just prefer traditional, easy to reach buttons without going through menus.
I understand a screen for functions like the stereo and smartphone integration, but I like old school buttons for everything else.
JWinTexas (09-25-18)
Old 05-25-17, 02:24 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I also prefer an AC on and off button. I just like the greater control, like if I'm leaving in the morning and I don't want it super cold, I just flip my AC off but have the fans keep running.

It also keeps that moldy smell down also because you can flip it off a few minutes from your destination and it dries out the evaporator.

If it were up to me, I would have ZERO climate control through a computer screen. I just prefer traditional, easy to reach buttons without going through menus.
I understand a screen for functions like the stereo and smartphone integration, but I like old school buttons for everything else.
100% agree with this.
Old 08-11-18, 02:46 PM
mcmike522
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UKEE
100% agree with this.
yeah, I also agree about having easy access hardware buttons for HVAC controls. I often like riding with the windows down and moonroof open, plus having the vent circulate air all the time, especially when stopped at a traffic light.

Quick Reply: missing a quick physical AC on/off button control for Lexus 2016-2017