LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much drop with lowering links only and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 12:45 PM
Streetcar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much drop with lowering links only and other questions

I have read every thread and searched for a few days and could not find anything concrete. On a 460l air ride how much will it drop the car without the data management controler? I am looking to lower it at one setting and just leave it at that setting all the time . Does anyone have just the lowering links installed or any experience with them . I read that the bags will be pretty compressed and may not ride well.

Also I am worried that if I set the drop around 0 -1 finger gap , what will happen at 65 mph when the car self lowers and how much lower will it drop it? I couldn't find anywhere to override this feature and just want to set the height one time where it's low , not slammed , not rub with kids in the back , stuff in the trunk etc. the wheels I am going to be running are 22x9 22x11 three peice with a 245, 295 combo. Does anyone know how much gap their will be with the factiry height ? Any response is appreciated.
Old 05-21-17, 04:58 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I did like another member and adjusted the factory links so that when high height is on then the car sits and factory height and when it's off then it drops down. I kept adjusting the links with the height button on until I felt like it was at factory height. With the button off the front sits about a finger gap above the tire and the back sits almost right there at the tire. I'm running 265/30/22 up front and 305/25/22 in the rear. I drive with the height button on and only turn it off before I park when I want it sitting low.
The following users liked this post:
Streetcar1 (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 09:38 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetcar1
I have read every thread and searched for a few days and could not find anything concrete. On a 460l air ride how much will it drop the car without the data management controller? I am looking to lower it at one setting and just leave it at that setting all the time . Does anyone have just the lowering links installed or any experience with them . I read that the bags will be pretty compressed and may not ride well.
I can only speak for the Skipper lowering links, but they have a full adjustment of 30mm in the front and 40mm in the rears. IIRC, (it's been years since they've been installed on my car) the manual comes w/ a warning so not to adjust the links all the way. So +/- a few mm of adjustment should be the answer to your question.

...the wheels I am going to be running are 22x9 22x11 three peice with a 245, 295 combo. Does anyone know how much gap their will be with the factiry height ? Any response is appreciated.
Can't really speak to this question until I know the offsets of the wheels you're running. Your front wheels sound safe, your rear wheels sound a bit aggressive. At factory height on 22s, you'll definitely have a higher wheel gap than factory.
Streetcar1 (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 11:29 AM
Streetcar1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 07LeLs460L
I did like another member and adjusted the factory links so that when high height is on then the car sits and factory height and when it's off then it drops down. I kept adjusting the links with the height button on until I felt like it was at factory height. With the button off the front sits about a finger gap above the tire and the back sits almost right there at the tire. I'm running 265/30/22 up front and 305/25/22 in the rear. I drive with the height button on and only turn it off before I park when I want it sitting low.
I read even on high height mode it still drops down at 65mph automatically. Could you drive it with the height button off on yours. I want it to lowered full time not slammed and the self lowering is throwing a curve ball.
Old 05-22-17, 11:41 AM
Streetcar1
Driver School Candidate

Any pics of a sideshot of the height you guys drive on?
Old 05-22-17, 03:08 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

front driving height
front lowered
rear driving height
rear lowered
Old 05-22-17, 03:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I can only speak for the Skipper lowering links, but they have a full adjustment of 30mm in the front and 40mm in the rears. IIRC, (it's been years since they've been installed on my car) the manual comes w/ a warning so not to adjust the links all the way. So +/- a few mm of adjustment should be the answer to your question.
I have the links sitting here in a box and ive been looking for answers also

Do you install them with the car running or shut off?

Also do you remember which way moves the suspension up or down? Example did extending the lowering links create the suspension to go down or did you have to shorten the links to achieve that ?

I couldn't find any answers so ive resigned myself to just gutting the oem air and getting coilovers ...im worried lowering the air ride will also ruin the ride quality as well

I am looking for at least a full inch up front and a half inch in the rear
Old 05-22-17, 03:29 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Shortening the links lower the car.
1WILLY1 (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 04:06 PM
Streetcar1
Driver School Candidate

front driving height
front lowered
rear driving height
rear lowered
so the lowered height is under normal mode and high height is what you drive on? Could you drive on the lowered mode full time?
Old 05-22-17, 04:27 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Yes, that's correct. I'm sure I could drive with it lowered but I'm not sure how much the camber gets thrown off. I wouldn't want the inside of my tires to wear down to quickly. I'll turn the high height off a little bit down the road to give the system time to lower by the time I park the car. The ride quality changes also with it lower. I guess because there is less air for cushion.
Old 05-22-17, 05:40 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Datasystems lowering module and drive everyday with it lowered. No problems, lots do it.
Streetcar1 (05-23-17)
Old 05-22-17, 07:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Shortening the links lower the car.
Thanks man

And is it best to do it when the car is on or off?

Is it something I can do on my driveway with a set of tools or should I bring it in to the mechanics?
Old 05-22-17, 11:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Okay I took off my front wheel and it looks easy enough for me to play with

My only question now is do I do it with the car on or off? I'm assuming it would be on but just want to make sure

Thanks
Streetcar1 (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 12:32 AM
Streetcar1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by teedub21
I have the Datasystems lowering module and drive everyday with it lowered. No problems, lots do it.
​​​​​​​might just go this route. , anyone have one for sale and do you have the lowering links also ? Does your car still self lower more at 65 and can you turn this off ?
Old 05-23-17, 09:09 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

might just go this route. , anyone have one for sale and do you have the lowering links also ? Does your car still self lower more at 65 and can you turn this off ?
No lowering links, just the Datasystem. Car does still lower around 65mph. Never been a problem.
Streetcar1 (05-26-17)

Quick Reply: How much drop with lowering links only and other questions