Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2017 Lexus GX 460 is Better than Ever (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 12:37 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default The 2017 Lexus GX 460 is Better than Ever (photos)

The 2017 Lexus GX 460 is Better than Ever (photos)
by Bassem Girgis
Old 05-18-17, 05:30 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new GX 460 is equipped with a TORSEN torque-sensing limited-slip center differential to get you through any terrain. This technology electronically distributes power between the front and rear axles to allow for maximum traction
TORSEN is not electronic. It's a fully mechanical system (that's the beauty of it because it means instant reaction to changing conditions). The center diff lock is electronic though.
Old 05-19-17, 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

lipstick on a pig...

Old 05-19-17, 11:26 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lipstick on a pig...
And here is the "pig":

Old 05-20-17, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I actually think the lower cladding package on that burgundy one improves the look. Makes the approach and departure angles worse though.
Old 05-20-17, 09:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's not so bad, but the grille extending from the top of the hood all the way down to the bottom of the bumper is too stretched. You could fit an entire wheel in there and still have room above and below. One unspoken rule 4WD SUV's should follow is making the wheels bigger than the grille. This thing looks like it's on cart wheels.
Old 05-21-17, 01:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One unspoken rule 4WD SUV's should follow is making the wheels bigger than the grille. This thing looks like it's on cart wheels.
haha, like that rule.

the gx has always looked tall and narrow (because it is) but the grille just accentuates that, and the tiny inset wheels and huge gaps make it look even more awkward. i know it drives nice though...
Old 05-21-17, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Eh, they don't drive that nice. I much prefer your Jeep.
Old 05-21-17, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One unspoken rule 4WD SUV's should follow is making the wheels bigger than the grille. This thing looks like it's on cart wheels.
haha, like that rule.

the gx has always looked tall and narrow (because it is) but the grille just accentuates that, and the tiny inset wheels and huge gaps make it look even more awkward. i know it drives nice though...
I don't agree with the Fill-'Em-Up look. It's a good idea to have some gaps in the wheel wells, so you can get a hose in there to clean out dirt, mud, salt, etc.....

Not only that, but in conditions of deep sticky/slushy snow (as opposed to the drier, fluffier type), it tends to build up in the wells as you drive. (I noticed that with my former Subaru Outback). In really bad conditions, one has to stop every few miles and, at least in the front wells, clean enough of the packed-in snow from either side of the front tires so that they can at least turn left or right with the steering wheel....and for all four the wheels to move up and down with the suspension without being blocked by packed snow. All that is a lot easier to do, of course, if there is room to get your hand or another object up in there. I'm not saying that will happen every time you drive in snow, but it will happen in the right conditions.

Of course, bit, where you live in Florida, snow usually isn't a problem. Nor would it probably be for you, either, Fizz, especially if you live in southern California or near the beach.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 08:57 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's a good idea to have some gaps in the wheel wells, so you can get a hose in there to clean out dirt, mud, salt, etc....
The gaps in the wheel wells are necessary to accomodate for large suspension travel. Most US produced SUVs have a lot less suspension travel so don't need wheel wells as big.
Old 05-22-17, 08:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro

The gaps in the wheel wells are necessary to accomodate for large suspension travel. Most US produced SUVs have a lot less suspension travel so don't need wheel wells as big.
That picture right there is basically the exact reason I'm planning to buy one of these within the next year or so. It's a tried and true TRUCK, with real capability. I'm sure it drives like a truck, too, but with a liberal dollop of Lexus refinement and luxury. Crossovers just aren't for me. My mom has a 2015 top-line Enclave and it drives and rides very well but it's not a true SUV. An RX does nothing for me, while the GX (old and dated as it is) is MASSIVELY appealing to me. I like driving real trucks that feel indestructible, and I know a GX will last for 20+ years just like the Land Cruisers/LXs do.

Gosh these things hold their value though. I was looking at a 2012 with 65k--asking price was 30k.
Old 05-23-17, 04:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

are you planning on parking like that?
Old 05-23-17, 05:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Dear lord that thing is hideous. What were they thinking?
Old 05-23-17, 05:48 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I have a few times when I had to park off-road at a golf course when the lot was full. The GX is a real, fully capable off road SUV. I have driven mine in both torrential, monsoon rains and full blizzard conditions with 8+ in. of unplowed snow and you never even know you are driving in bad weather. If you need or want a fully off-road capable SUV that will go in almost any weather conditions and is very luxurious and safe for your family it's a great vehicle. With the V8 and towing package it's also a very good SUV if you need to tow anything as well. I have had 3 of them and plan on a 4th when they remodel it, assuming they do not butcher it by making it a car with a minivan-ish body and a v6 engine. It does not look or drive like a car because it is not, its a real truck that is very quiet and luxurious inside, like any Lexus. They are not for everyone, my wife hates mine and would take her BMW over mine any day of the week because she does not like the "truck" feel and "floaty" drive, and not to mention the looks too, but if you want a real SUV that is a fully capable both off road and on, Lexus reliability, and a safe vehicle in any driving conditions I would recommend giving the GX a chance, or the LX if you want a larger SUV. They are certainly niche vehicles these days as there are very few full body on frame SUV's left but they certainly have their use and following, and as was previously stated they hold their value very well. The GX looks very similar to the LX, like it's little brother, but it's a completely different vehicle based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. The LX is certainly a bigger vehicle (longer wheelbase and wider body) and as such it has a much more refined driving feel but it is also just as capable off road and in bad weather conditions, if not more so.
Old 05-23-17, 05:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

lipstick on a pig...

MAYBE wouldn't be bad w/the blackened sport version grill without so much damn chrome!

Quick Reply: The 2017 Lexus GX 460 is Better than Ever (photos)