GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Selling my 2013 GS350 F Sport and getting a 2006 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 12:58 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Selling my 2013 GS350 F Sport and getting a 2006 LS430

So recently I've been thinking of selling my CPO GS350 that I got last August so I won't have a car payment anymore. Not that I can't afford my payments or none of that. And it's crazy how fast these cars are depreciating
I posted it on CL and I already have a buyer that's really interested in it. I listed it for $27k and I owe $20k on my loan. My car has 49,400 miles on it.

This is the LS430 that I'm looking to get:
https://www.az.aaa.com/automotive/ca.../2006-lexus-ls

It only has 65k miles and it just has major service done at 60K by a local Lexus dealer.
I would be able to get a small loan for this LS and be done paying for it in less than 6 months.

Would you guys do it? Would go to a 2006 LS430 be a "downgrade" ? My GS350 doesn't have ML or HUD. It just has BSM.

What do guys think?
Old 05-14-17, 01:19 PM
00o0ooo
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how others will feel, but personally I think going from a 2013 GS (and it's CPO!!) to anything that's 10 years old is a *major* downgrade, whether is a Lexus or Mercedes or whatever, and I would never do that. ML and HUD aren't the most important features at all, at least to me, so having or not having those on your car doesn't really matter.

Cars naturally depreciate extremely fast, especially for luxury cars, and yeah sadly there's not much we can do about this... That's why some people never buy new cars even though they can afford them. If you are concerned about your finance, have you considered refinancing with a new lender to get a lower monthly payment? I know this is not the best advice to give because extending term = paying more interest...

Also remember the LS has a V8 and I think you'll spend a lot more on gas. But ultimately it is your decision to make, so let's see what other people say and hope you can make a well-informed decision OP!
The following 2 users liked this post by 00o0ooo:
corpnupe85 (05-14-17), LatinLS430 (05-14-17)
Old 05-14-17, 01:59 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Do it! I think you will be much happier. That LS looks mint, you'll have it payed off in no time and enjoy life without an extra payment.
The following users liked this post:
natnut (05-16-17)
Old 05-14-17, 02:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Depends what you value, sporty driving car with newer features, or ultimate comfort with more dated, albeit probably more reliable car. Personally, I'd go with the GS as any car will depreciate, but the LS430 is without a doubt one of the best Lexus ever made and I'd be willing to say of higher quality than the GS. Nothing against the GS, but just newer Lexus in general just aren't holding up as well as ones that originated in the early 2000s.
Old 05-14-17, 03:29 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

That LS looks really good, I love mine, its one of the most comfortable cars I've been in. They are much different driving cars though, the LS is more "boring" and isolated from the road. Not really sporty in any way.
Old 05-14-17, 04:09 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00o0ooo
I don't know how others will feel, but personally I think going from a 2013 GS (and it's CPO!!) to anything that's 10 years old is a *major* downgrade, whether is a Lexus or Mercedes or whatever, and I would never do that. ML and HUD aren't the most important features at all, at least to me, so having or not having those on your car doesn't really matter.

Cars naturally depreciate extremely fast, especially for luxury cars, and yeah sadly there's not much we can do about this... That's why some people never buy new cars even though they can afford them. If you are concerned about your finance, have you considered refinancing with a new lender to get a lower monthly payment? I know this is not the best advice to give because extending term = paying more interest...

Also remember the LS has a V8 and I think you'll spend a lot more on gas. But ultimately it is your decision to make, so let's see what other people say and hope you can make a well-informed decision OP!
Yeah I don't want to refinance haha. I'm okay with the V8 mpgs.
Originally Posted by DaSyce
Do it! I think you will be much happier. That LS looks mint, you'll have it payed off in no time and enjoy life without an extra payment.
I do like that LS quite a bit.
Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Depends what you value, sporty driving car with newer features, or ultimate comfort with more dated, albeit probably more reliable car. Personally, I'd go with the GS as any car will depreciate, but the LS430 is without a doubt one of the best Lexus ever made and I'd be willing to say of higher quality than the GS. Nothing against the GS, but just newer Lexus in general just aren't holding up as well as ones that originated in the early 2000s.
At this point I value more comfort than sporty driving. I'm turning 34 next months and I've my share of sporty rides in my younger days haha.
Originally Posted by e60bmw
That LS looks really good, I love mine, its one of the most comfortable cars I've been in. They are much different driving cars though, the LS is more "boring" and isolated from the road. Not really sporty in any way.
I'm okay with boring and isolated
Old 05-14-17, 05:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If comfort is your goal, the LS is hard to beat. They have timing belts, and the tech is dated, but besides that, if maintained, are essentially bulletproof
Old 05-14-17, 05:33 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

Personally would not trade my lower mileage 4GS for an older, higher mileage LS. For me, I think technology wise (although Lexus lags behind in some instances) there is a step-back with the older LS with displays, apps, navigation maps, bluetooth, etc. I also feel like the interior of the LS is a little too dated. That 430 engine is no slouch though and will be a pleasure to drive.

But, its all about what matters most to you - most impressive about the LS is its reliability, its powertrain and finish. There is a guy in my neighborhood with a Grey '06 LS430 and its a beauty since its so well kept. That one you're considering also looks well-kept. Any chance of keeping the GS and also buying the LS too ??
Old 05-14-17, 05:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I might understand a bit more if you traded your 2013 GS for a 4th gen LS (2007-2017) if you were looking for something bigger and more luxurious...but not for a 10+ year old car. It might be low mileage for the age of the car, but some seals will disintegrate over time (especially 10 years in AZ heat) and you might be stuck with a largish bill down the road. Yes, the GS depreciation seems to be really steep right now, but getting a loan for an old car (not classic car) and making payments for an old car that will be a daily driver doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I think the 2006 LS will depreciate even more the end of this year when the new LS is released...the car will be 2 generations old which might be a harder sell later on.
Old 05-14-17, 08:36 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Personally would not trade my lower mileage 4GS for an older, higher mileage LS. For me, I think technology wise (although Lexus lags behind in some instances) there is a step-back with the older LS with displays, apps, navigation maps, bluetooth, etc. I also feel like the interior of the LS is a little too dated. That 430 engine is no slouch though and will be a pleasure to drive.

But, its all about what matters most to you - most impressive about the LS is its reliability, its powertrain and finish. There is a guy in my neighborhood with a Grey '06 LS430 and its a beauty since its so well kept. That one you're considering also looks well-kept. Any chance of keeping the GS and also buying the LS too ??
I'm pretty sure I can get this LS and the GS but I don't need two cars at this time. I just emailed my service consultant to see if he knows anything about this LS since ti was serviced at Arrowhead Lexus where I got my GS from.

Originally Posted by dchar
I might understand a bit more if you traded your 2013 GS for a 4th gen LS (2007-2017) if you were looking for something bigger and more luxurious...but not for a 10+ year old car. It might be low mileage for the age of the car, but some seals will disintegrate over time (especially 10 years in AZ heat) and you might be stuck with a largish bill down the road. Yes, the GS depreciation seems to be really steep right now, but getting a loan for an old car (not classic car) and making payments for an old car that will be a daily driver doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I think the 2006 LS will depreciate even more the end of this year when the new LS is released...the car will be 2 generations old which might be a harder sell later on.
I'm not necessarily looking for something bigger as I don't have any kids and it's pretty much me and my gf that ride in the car. I like the size of the GS and I know the LS's are slightly larger. I have't considered the 4th gen LS as those will have a higher price tag than the 3rd gen LS. If I get this LS, I'm looking to finance about 5k or less after getting the equity from the GS and putting a downpayment. At least those are the numbers that I'm running on my head right now. haha.
Old 05-14-17, 09:07 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I would recommend you get the 4th Gen LS at the least. Even though the condition of the 3rd gen you're looking at looks like in pretty good condition, the style is just too outdated to me. I think if you get this LS, you'll probably want to switch it up in a few years. How long did you plan on keeping the LS if you swap with the GS you have?
Old 05-14-17, 09:19 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by viperr
I would recommend you get the 4th Gen LS at the least. Even though the condition of the 3rd gen you're looking at looks like in pretty good condition, the style is just too outdated to me. I think if you get this LS, you'll probably want to switch it up in a few years. How long did you plan on keeping the LS if you swap with the GS you have?
I'll have to look at the 4th gen LS's and see how they compare in prices. I'm planning on keeping the next LS I get forever. I used to be a Honda guy but since getting this 2013 GS I'm not getting nothing else but Lexus.
Old 05-14-17, 09:45 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd do it if you can deal w/the outdated tech. Do the tbelt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, and Toyota coolant every 100k and very basic maintenance and you'll be good for a LONG time. The 430 motor is bulletproof. My GS430 has almost 200k w/zero issues, best car I've ever had.

Originally Posted by 00o0ooo
Also remember the LS has a V8 and I think you'll spend a lot more on gas.
I get about 1 mpg better in my GS350 than I do in my GS430 back and forth to work. Granted the LS is toting around more weight than a GS but the mpg difference isn't as much as you'd think.

Last edited by boosteddsm; 05-14-17 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (05-14-17)
Old 05-14-17, 10:00 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by boosteddsm
I'd do it if you can deal w/the outdated tech. Do the tbelt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, and Toyota coolant every 100k and very basic maintenance and you'll be good for a LONG time. The 430 motor is bulletproof. My GS430 has almost 200k w/zero issues, best car I've ever had.

I get about 1 mpg better in my GS350 than I do in my GS430 back and forth to work. Granted the LS is toting around more weight than a GS but the mpg difference isn't as much as you'd think.
I can deal with the outdated tech. This LS had the tbelt done recently so I should be good there for a long time. I've seen some videos on the water pump and it looks like its an easy job. I'm pretty handy so I can do some repairs myself. Yeah I'm not too worried about mpg's.

Last edited by LatinLS430; 05-14-17 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 04:04 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a neighbor that has an LS400 with 430,000 miles, and he's giving it to his son. Unreal.

Quick Reply: Selling my 2013 GS350 F Sport and getting a 2006 LS430