GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS350 F Sport Brake rotor warping woes

Old 05-12-17, 09:54 AM
herkster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GS350 F Sport Brake rotor warping woes

So the car is in for the 30K service and the Service advisor calls me and says the brakes are warped which I knew and mentioned to him when dropping off the car. It was the typical rotor warp I have felt in other cars. I then found out the front rotors are two piece and aluminum. He mentioned that brakes on the F Sport only last 15-20K. My pads are only halfway done. So I thought that bogus. he mentioned the warping was cured in the newer 2016 cars with steel rotors. Weird huh?

So a couple questions.

Anyone else had this issue? I live in South Florida so many stops can be abrupt with the drivers down here. I guess that's how I warped them.

I cannot afford a BBK kit for the car at this time. I just want the shuddering to stop. I am looking at converting to the steel rotors. If I can find them cross drilled and black all the better. Powerstop and Stoptech come to mind. Any others that are recommended direct replacements? If you have the part numbers let me know.

I did look for this on the Forum in the search but did not find much other than the 3K-4K BBK kits which look awesome I just can't go there right now.

I'm open to options.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-17, 10:08 AM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by herkster
So the car is in for the 30K service and the Service advisor calls me and says the brakes are warped which I knew and mentioned to him when dropping off the car. It was the typical rotor warp I have felt in other cars. I then found out the front rotors are two piece and aluminum. He mentioned that brakes on the F Sport only last 15-20K. My pads are only halfway done. So I thought that bogus. he mentioned the warping was cured in the newer 2016 cars with steel rotors. Weird huh?

So a couple questions.

Anyone else had this issue? I live in South Florida so many stops can be abrupt with the drivers down here. I guess that's how I warped them.

I cannot afford a BBK kit for the car at this time. I just want the shuddering to stop. I am looking at converting to the steel rotors. If I can find them cross drilled and black all the better. Powerstop and Stoptech come to mind. Any others that are recommended direct replacements? If you have the part numbers let me know.

I did look for this on the Forum in the search but did not find much other than the 3K-4K BBK kits which look awesome I just can't go there right now.

I'm open to options.

Thanks!
i can't comment on the lifespan of the front rotors, but unfortunately I don't think there are any aftermarket options for the 2-piece fsport rotors yet.
Old 05-12-17, 11:08 AM
herkster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This looks to be a direct replacemment for the fronts
Old 05-12-17, 02:00 PM
ThumbsUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't specify RWD or AWD. Aren't the front rotors on RWD cars larger than AWD?
Old 05-15-17, 05:00 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

or by the rotors form the dealer and do the work yourself my 14 f-sport has 24K no warping yet
Old 05-15-17, 07:11 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock rotors on these cars suck. I had to get all four replaced at 40k because they were rusted so bad that they were pushing on the backing plate and causing a god awful grinding noise when turning. I have a 13 AWD F Sport and had slotted rotors with new pads installed at my buddies shop. I can't remember which brand he ordered but I think I still have the paperwork that I can check for you. Dealer quoted me $1500 which is just ridiculous.
Old 05-15-17, 08:58 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

My 2013 FSport rotors are still good at 30K+ miles. The front pads are near the end of life but there is no reason the rotors should only last 15 to 20K miles. I plan on replacing the pads this weekend with EBC pads.
Old 05-15-17, 10:50 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

EBC makes a set for 140 shipped.. that finally got released recently give them a try.. i was gonna buy the ebc rotors but i couldnt wait any longer for them to release in the correct size. part number is ebc rk7636x
Old 05-17-17, 04:17 AM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by herkster

So a couple questions.

I'm open to options.

Thanks!

Is your car awd or rwd? If it's rwd, I wonder if it should be covered under this tsb.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3PbQCRH6zjDekVCVDhyZHZGQ1k/edit
Old 05-17-17, 11:54 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're still under bumper to bumper warranty. Tell the dealer that the front is making noise and there's a TSB out for the front rotors. They replaced mine under warranty with a new 1 piece rotor design and gave me new front pads.
Old 05-27-17, 06:02 PM
TnGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
If you're still under bumper to bumper warranty. Tell the dealer that the front is making noise and there's a TSB out for the front rotors. They replaced mine under warranty with a new 1 piece rotor design and gave me new front pads.
Do you have that TSB number? Mine is a CPO with 34k miles. The brakes felt ok when I bought it but after 4K miles they have warped and I am noticing they have grooves in them. Dealer claimed they put new pads on it and resurfaced the rotors before I bought it. I haven't been driving it hard so I don't think abuse is the cause. I'm going on Monday for the first of my 4 free service visits so I want to be prepared. Does anyone know if they will do this work as part of the free service agreement?
Old 05-31-17, 01:06 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TnGS350
Do you have that TSB number? Mine is a CPO with 34k miles. The brakes felt ok when I bought it but after 4K miles they have warped and I am noticing they have grooves in them. Dealer claimed they put new pads on it and resurfaced the rotors before I bought it. I haven't been driving it hard so I don't think abuse is the cause. I'm going on Monday for the first of my 4 free service visits so I want to be prepared. Does anyone know if they will do this work as part of the free service agreement?
Like I said.. just complain about front brake noises to your service rep and they should just replace it for free. tsb #L-SB 010016. My dealer just replaced mine with no question asked.

Last edited by mong; 05-31-17 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-31-17, 08:19 PM
TnGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mong
Like I said.. just complain about front brake noises to your service rep and they should just replace it for free. tsb #L-SB 010016. My dealer just replaced mine with no question asked.
They are giving me the run around on mine. The dealer says that the previous dealer turned them down to min spec and left grooves in them because they were too deep to remove. Now they want me to shell out $700 to replace them. I contacted the customer care center and they are supposed to get back to me tomorrow with some answers.Needless to say I'm not a happy camper. I also have a vibration at 70+ that they claim is due to cupped tires as well. The tires were also replaced by the dealer I bought the car from. They have less than 5k miles on them too. If this is Lexus service / quality I think I'll trade it for a Chevy SS.
Old 05-31-17, 09:26 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TnGS350
They are giving me the run around on mine. The dealer says that the previous dealer turned them down to min spec and left grooves in them because they were too deep to remove. Now they want me to shell out $700 to replace them. I contacted the customer care center and they are supposed to get back to me tomorrow with some answers.Needless to say I'm not a happy camper. I also have a vibration at 70+ that they claim is due to cupped tires as well. The tires were also replaced by the dealer I bought the car from. They have less than 5k miles on them too. If this is Lexus service / quality I think I'll trade it for a Chevy SS.
u should go bak to the dealer that you brought the cpo car from and tell them ur problem.
Old 05-31-17, 09:29 PM
TnGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by richard203
u should go bak to the dealer that you brought the cpo car from and tell them ur problem.
I contacted them and they were no help, plus its a 300 mile drive. But, if i cant get it taken care of thats my next move.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GS350 F Sport Brake rotor warping woes