Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 02:02 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay / Android Auto

The next car I buy will have Android Auto (or a similar interface so that I can use my smart phone in lieu of the overpriced, obsolete in-car navigation and audio system). I would like to think I’ll buy another Lexus, but if Toyota doesn't get with the program I'll have to pick from one of the other 200 car models that do.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ndroid-auto%3F

This might be a good / even better option BUT ONLY IF IT ALLOWS THE CAR OWNER TO DECIDE WHAT STREAMING APP / NAVIGATION APP TO USE. Lexus, are you listening?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...y-android-auto

Last edited by LeapFrog; 05-10-17 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add link to article on SDL
Old 05-16-17, 11:52 AM
EduPagani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you, LeapFrog.
I like my NX, but unless Lexus gets with the program allowing me to use Android Auto, my next vehicle will not be a Toyota/Lexus. Enform Sux.
Old 05-16-17, 12:17 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The holdouts are getting fewer and fewer

Originally Posted by EduPagani
I'm with you, LeapFrog.
I like my NX, but unless Lexus gets with the program allowing me to use Android Auto, my next vehicle will not be a Toyota/Lexus. Enform Sux.
Toyota is shortly not only going to be in the minority; they are going to get really left behind. Can you imagine being able to update your car's navigation and infotainment systems the same way you do your smartphone?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/15/...-android-auto/

You can't fight the market: https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...=8&qpcustomd=1

And if you are in the market for a new car this year, here are your current choices:

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/

My crystal ball says that BMW will within the 2018 model year reverse its position on Android Auto and that they will fall in line in response to the market demand. Shortly thereafter, Lexus (and perhaps all of Toyota's marques) will cave. I don't think you can find a single millennial who thinks the "Toyota infotainment experience" is better than the one on their current smartphone / tablet - and it is insulting that Toyota tries to tell them that it is.

Last edited by LeapFrog; 05-16-17 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add vehicle shopping list
Old 06-02-17, 07:26 PM
Luklexus
Driver School Candidate

Default No Android Auto No Lexus for us

We have two Lexus cars at the moment. If Android Auto does not become available soon we'll have to look at other car brands with Android Auto and Apple Carplay
Old 07-26-17, 10:38 AM
kdsassoc
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lexus voice commands for navigation vs iphone navigation using carplay

No comparison. I don't even bother using the lexus voice commands for navigation. its beyond terrible. the only time i would ever use my lexus navigation is if i type in the address. I got a mount for my iphone and use that for navigation most of the time. I just bought the kit from beat-sonic so i can mirror my iphone to the screen in my lexus. BTW the screen for lexus navigation is beautiful. too bad the nav system is a piece of ****. When is lexus going to learn? what are they thinking that people are actually going to pay to update the maps in the lexus nav system??? i dropped my subscription to lexus enform in protest of them not allowing apple carplay. don't they understand that when they try and block people from using non-lexus products that are far supperior to lexus products they lose. I paid $60K for my lexus and it doesn't even allow carplay!
Old 07-31-17, 06:24 PM
Nik0nGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdsassoc
No comparison. I don't even bother using the lexus voice commands for navigation. its beyond terrible. the only time i would ever use my lexus navigation is if i type in the address. I got a mount for my iphone and use that for navigation most of the time. I just bought the kit from beat-sonic so i can mirror my iphone to the screen in my lexus. BTW the screen for lexus navigation is beautiful. too bad the nav system is a piece of ****. When is lexus going to learn? what are they thinking that people are actually going to pay to update the maps in the lexus nav system??? i dropped my subscription to lexus enform in protest of them not allowing apple carplay. don't they understand that when they try and block people from using non-lexus products that are far supperior to lexus products they lose. I paid $60K for my lexus and it doesn't even allow carplay!
Same here, I think I only used the Lexus navi once and only because I was having trouble picking up a strong signal at the time! I feel like it would've been good about 3yrs ago, but too many better options out there today.

Question though, how does the beat-sonic work? Does it impact your warranty?
Old 08-24-17, 10:59 AM
Remarc
Driver School Candidate

Default Completely agree

I love my new Lexus but had I of spent any real time with the technology I would have not made the purchase. I'm an early adopter of technology and have a pixel. I don't even bother issuing the tech system because it is so clunky that it's mostly unusable. I could not recommend this to my friends for this reason. If loved to see an Android auto app download in the Lexus app suite . Maybe someone will create a work around. Google should create a chromecast for the car.

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
Toyota is shortly not only going to be in the minority; they are going to get really left behind. Can you imagine being able to update your car's navigation and infotainment systems the same way you do your smartphone?

You can't fight the market: https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...=8&qpcustomd=1

And if you are in the market for a new car this year, here are your current choices:

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-2017-cars-have-android-auto-1420691731My​​​​​My crystal ball says that BMW will within the 2018 model year reverse its position on Android Auto and that they will fall in line in response to the market demand. Shortly thereafter, Lexus (and perhaps all of Toyota's marques) will cave. I don't think you can find a single millennial who thinks the "Toyota infotainment experience" is better than the one on their current smartphone / tablet - and it is insulting that Toyota tries to tell them that it is.
Completely agree
Old 08-24-17, 12:25 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have no experience with New World Order Auto Android Auto but Apple Carplay in BMW's is awful and I have used it twice. It prevents you from comfortably accessing the phone via idrive, you end up constantly switching between Carplay and iDrive. It turns the UI into a big, fat mess and offers no real benefits except for the messaging/chat function.
Old 09-05-17, 07:39 AM
drshouse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Remarc
I love my new Lexus but had I of spent any real time with the technology I would have not made the purchase. I'm an early adopter of technology and have a pixel. I don't even bother issuing the tech system because it is so clunky that it's mostly unusable. I could not recommend this to my friends for this reason. If loved to see an Android auto app download in the Lexus app suite . Maybe someone will create a work around. Google should create a chromecast for the car.

Completely agree

Last week I traded a 2015 Z06 and a 2016 Cadillac CT6 for an LC 500. I got some money back so that is not the issue, but I definitely have buyers remorse with the tech in the Lexus. The CT6 is light years beyond what I have now and even the corvette was better.

The mouse interaction is horrible. Whereas with the CT6 everything was just a touch away...front and rear view cameras, massage seats, android auto..the list goes on and on. The LC 500 is beautiful..but beauty is definitely not everything.
Old 09-23-17, 01:25 AM
BasilBabaa
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't have to be a millennial

Originally Posted by LeapFrog

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/

My crystal ball says that BMW will within the 2018 model year reverse its position on Android Auto and that they will fall in line in response to the market demand. Shortly thereafter, Lexus (and perhaps all of Toyota's marques) will cave. I don't think you can find a single millennial who thinks the "Toyota infotainment experience" is better than the one on their current smartphone / tablet - and it is insulting that Toyota tries to tell them that it is.
Born in '66.... driven Only Lexus for 20 years.... just moved to Mercedes AMG today for the wife and my next car... wait for it, one that has Apple CarPlay...

Last edited by BasilBabaa; 09-23-17 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 07:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Lexus needs to hurry up and bring Apple Carplay/Android Auto to their cars. I work at a Lexus dealership and people buying new cars are always disappointed when they find out their phone doesn't mirror to the screen. On top of that, the Remote Touch interface is a huge hassle for 80% of my clients.

Plus Lexus needs a better remote start setup too. The Enform Remote app is horrible and difficult to setup for customers. It feels like they are light years behind in some their technology.
The following users liked this post:
Isley (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 06:25 AM
Isley
Driver School Candidate

Kira X, thank you for sharing your insights as someone who works for a Lexus dealership. Does corporate Lexus take feedback from dealership employees? All of the concerns you raised seem valid. I hope they listen to you and their customer base and solve these tech issues.
Old 10-29-17, 01:46 PM
TVD
Driver School Candidate

Default Lack of CarPlay

I’m in full agreement with the general sentiment of this thread. Just got assigned a Jeep Grand Cherokee for work (NOT the top of the line, either), and it has CarPlay, in addition to other updated tech. The Jeep is worth half of what my less than two year old Lexus cost, but the Lexus/Toyota technology is way behind. Won’t be getting another $60,000+ car from Lexus if they can’t keep up.
Old 10-29-17, 05:41 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I just installed a Pioneer 4201 in my 02 LS430. Not sure what car you have but it is possible to add it, you can find units for as little as $200 now. Unfortunately I can't add it in the GS, it would be nice if you could switch sources on some of the newer cars. But its pretty cool to think I have carplay in my 02 when alot of brand new cars like Lexus don't even have it yet.
Old 12-04-17, 08:10 PM
jodycochra
Driver School Candidate

Selling my iVIC unit on ebay if you are interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263366200679

There are ways to get car play like functionality with this unit and your phone.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/06/22/carplay-ios-2/