GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How come no word yet on redesign of GX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 08:48 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How come no word yet on redesign of GX?

Usually a redesign is every 7 years at the latest. Current model started in 2010 except for the 2014 redesign, but it's essentially the same car. Wondering if anyone had any info on the discontinuation of the GX or its replacement for 2018 or 2019.
Old 05-08-17, 05:33 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

we will know by august.
Old 05-08-17, 06:16 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From looking at autonews and all, it looks like a few more years of the same thing. I don't mind that though.
The following users liked this post:
dll777 (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 12:43 PM
dll777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that the GX will be redesigned or replaced by a vehicle (TX) that is comparable to a 7 seat RX built on a larger platform. Still off road and all the features we like, however major technical upgrades to match that of the RX and LX, increased torque, quieter cabin, and smoother ride. No longer built on a truck platform the new GX (or whatever its called) will offer great off road options while providing a luxurious on-road experience. Who knows...rumors are vast at this point...

I have the 2017 GX and even though I love it, more torque, a quieter cabin, and the latest technologies would be an awesome improvement. Still the best in it's category!

Dll777
Old 05-23-17, 03:41 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by davidc1
From looking at autonews and all, it looks like a few more years of the same thing. I don't mind that though.
not so at all.
toyota purposely didnt update this as well as the 4runner.
just watch and see.
Old 05-23-17, 04:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Could the Toyota Fortuner be the replacement for the 4Runner?

Old 05-24-17, 06:14 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Could the Toyota Fortuner be the replacement for the 4Runner?

Hasn't the Fortuner been out for a while in OUS markets? With the cult-like following the 4Runner has in the US I doubt Toyota would replace the 4Runner with what looks like a whacked out Highlander. Even IF it has great off-road capabilities.

And based on what Lexus has been toying with lately in design I am glad I have a 2017 before they screw it up too much to appeal to the masses.
Old 05-25-17, 07:02 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You're looking at later in the year for any announcements. 4Runner usually September and GX after that, probably November or December. And that's if there is any announcement. We very well might not get any update at all to either one.

With new JL Wrangler dropping, it would seem Toyota would want to respond with a redesigned 4Runner, or at least a substantial refresh. However, the pickup and SUV industry has been pulling away for years and Toyota has been happy to keep spitting out the same old crap, with no change in sight.
Old 05-25-17, 07:27 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
You're looking at later in the year for any announcements. 4Runner usually September and GX after that, probably November or December. And that's if there is any announcement. We very well might not get any update at all to either one.

With new JL Wrangler dropping, it would seem Toyota would want to respond with a redesigned 4Runner, or at least a substantial refresh. However, the pickup and SUV industry has been pulling away for years and Toyota has been happy to keep spitting out the same old crap, with no change in sight.

i think they know they have to step it up a bit from here.
i have a feeling they redesign the gx with unibody design and turbo based engine platform.
They may just leave the LX as only bof design.
no body knows, its a tightly guarded secret.
Old 05-25-17, 07:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Best rumors are in this forum:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-model-41.html

All eyes are on the LC Prado, it being the parent model for both GX and the 4Runner.
We may luck out and there will be a facelift this year. Certainly no redesign for BOF as there is no new global architecture platform for it yet. Only rumors on TNGA-F name.
Old 05-26-17, 06:51 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Best rumors are in this forum:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-model-41.html

All eyes are on the LC Prado, it being the parent model for both GX and the 4Runner.
We may luck out and there will be a facelift this year. Certainly no redesign for BOF as there is no new global architecture platform for it yet. Only rumors on TNGA-F name.
If the order dates they have on there are correct, no way we get a redesign for model year 2018. That could always change, but sounds like earliest we can expect a redesign would be MY2019 or 2020.
Old 08-12-17, 08:49 PM
jbrockiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to dealer very recently and they said I should wait till end of year- was looking to buy. They think an interior refresh, more on par with other Lexus vehicles (much overdue), may be coming for 2018. Also possible engine tweaking for better MPG. Who knows what else, if anything, However, it is refreshing to have a dealer say wait and see.
Old 08-15-17, 06:53 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Around here, they seem to be selling fast. Dealers can't hardly keep them in stock. As long as they are selling well, I don't see any rush for a redesign. Redesign is expensive, risky liability wise, and lots of Govt redtape to get through as well. Toyota seems very comfy in their conservative posture, of "don't get in a hurry to produce something with new ideas that haven't been tried enough. The new ideas fail too often." Like staying with bigger displacement engines, instead of pumping out lots of power out of small turbo engines. How long will that 2.2 ltr dual turbo in the Volvo last? Maybe a long time, but?????
Old 08-15-17, 05:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
How long will that 2.2 ltr dual turbo in the Volvo last? Maybe a long time, but?????
Yeah.. I have high doubts that 2.0L Turbo & SuperCharger setup in the Volvo XC 90 is going to set any high mileage records.
Old 08-16-17, 05:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9948480

Email today from Lexus:

"We appreciate the time you have taken in contacting Lexus. The 2018 GX 460 model is scheduled to be released in the Fall. At this time, we do not have exact release dates for our vehicles. When the 2018 GX 460 is released, a brochure of the vehicle will also become available."

Quick Reply: How come no word yet on redesign of GX?