GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fsport pipe or HPS best choice to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 12:02 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Arrow Fsport pipe or HPS best choice to go with?

Curious to know which one would be more beneficial and maybe gain more performance than the other. Or is it just a personal preference. I will most likely do the fsport pipe and filter but in case anyone else is debating on doing this they can refer to this thread
Old 04-30-17, 03:15 PM
boostinsc
Racer

I should've known this wouldn't get far no one helps anybody in the 4g section I noticed this. I miss my sc. can't wait to get a different vehicle. Unfortunately no one wants to help and yet when someone posts a mod they did people copy right away?

Last edited by boostinsc; 04-30-17 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (05-21-19)
Old 04-30-17, 05:02 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

There was literally a thread still on the 1st page a few days ago about this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ir-intake.html
I've been considering intakes recently too, HPS is the only one that has the sound generator. It seems to give some slight improvement for performance because the pipe is bigger however doesn't add any sound. The takeda sounds pretty good from my research and is about $200. It doesn't use the stock airbox. In my past experience the stock airbox usually performed the best instead of these "cold air" which just have the filters near the engine. The takeda has the heat shield but I don't know how much that really helps. The sound would be much louder from even looking at the other models where people have had it. Can't really tell about the power difference, if its +/- it may not be that noticeable. I personally like the way it sounds stock but wouldn't mind it louder. I had a berk intake on my 02 maxima back in the day that sounded amazing with that engine.
Old 04-30-17, 05:54 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I got the HPS below because it is a bigger pipe but technically the physics don't make sense to me (perhaps I am missing something) about increasing performance. I do notice that the throttle response is better. Besides looking stock, re-using the stock air box is a plus too preventing the air filter from getting dirty quicker as compared to an open cone filter.

Old 04-30-17, 06:07 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by viperr
I got the HPS below because it is a bigger pipe but technically the physics don't make sense to me (perhaps I am missing something) about increasing performance. I do notice that the throttle response is better. Besides looking stock, re-using the stock air box is a plus too preventing the air filter from getting dirty quicker as compared to an open cone filter.

Yeah its pretty much a bigger pipe, not sure how much that relates to power. Wonder what would happen if you put a cone filter like on the takeda on the HPS and removed the air box. Is the cone filter really what makes the increased sound? The stock airbox has a input near the front of the car that directs airflow to the filter correct? Alternatively what about the takeda going into a stock airbox?
Old 04-30-17, 06:08 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
I should've known this wouldn't get far no one helps anybody in the 4g section I noticed this. I miss my sc. can't wait to get a different vehicle. Unfortunately no one wants to help and yet when someone posts a mod they did people copy right away?
You're welcome:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-4.html
Old 04-30-17, 07:05 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

HPS pipe for sure.. Very popular.. If not that then the Takeda right after.

Contact us for pricing and we'll take care of it!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-01-17, 07:16 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only reason I would go with HPS is because it retains the original filter box and it sort of keeps your engine bay cleaner. The takeda sounds great though (it is what I have on my 4GS).
Old 05-01-17, 08:58 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Yeah its pretty much a bigger pipe, not sure how much that relates to power. Wonder what would happen if you put a cone filter like on the takeda on the HPS and removed the air box. Is the cone filter really what makes the increased sound? The stock airbox has a input near the front of the car that directs airflow to the filter correct? Alternatively what about the takeda going into a stock airbox?
I believe the cone filter is primarily responsible for the increased sound. Not sure about the takeda going into the stock airbox as there may be clearance issues with the cone filter fitting in there.

Originally Posted by kitabel
A bigger pipe does absolutely nothing... unless Lexus has intentionally reduced engine power by using a small pipe, which saves this much money: $00.00.
You're right, the theory and physics of it doesn't make any sense. Again, I decided to try it anyways and although I cannot speak for increase in power, I can confirm better throttle response (a few other members here confirmed also).
Old 05-01-17, 09:23 AM
alpha0M3G4
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Whoa whoa, pump the brakes. This forum is extremely helpful and usually very responsive. Due to the limited modifications available for the 4GS and 3IS, many of the topics have already been covered in threads. Your best bet is to search the wealth of knowledge already documented in this forum and ask any clarifying questions afterwards.

Welcome to the 4GS forum and congrats on your new vehicle! I'm sure you're enjoying the creature comforts compared to your SC.
The following 3 users liked this post by alpha0M3G4:
mong (05-01-17), TrevorTran (05-01-17), viperr (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 10:54 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the HPS short ram intake and FSport filter. As for the sound generator, I can't hear it due having the Invidia catback exhaust. The combination of the three make for a more peppy response.
Old 05-01-17, 11:40 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

I just ended up ordering the Takeda from Meraki. Was going to get the HPS, but it doesn't really add much sound. Even though the Takeda doesn't have the sound generator its going to be louder so it won't matter much. Don't want to do exhaust yet because I despise drone so this was a good option.
Old 05-01-17, 01:10 PM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I just ended up ordering the Takeda from Meraki. Was going to get the HPS, but it doesn't really add much sound. Even though the Takeda doesn't have the sound generator its going to be louder so it won't matter much. Don't want to do exhaust yet because I despise drone so this was a good option.
I'm in the same boat as you, choosing between the HPS and Takeda. At first I was going for HPS because it keeps the sound generator and I already have a K&N drop in filter, but want the Takeda for the real intake sound. I just hope that the Takeda doesn't hurt the performance with the open cone filter exposed to the engine bay temperatures. Also, the Takeda must be better than the HPS in some way if it's double the price!
Old 02-12-18, 02:42 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Funny how everyone jump on me and was thanking the rookie, no not everyone helps on here but I help people out and contribute positive feedback....Just look through my old threads.
Old 05-21-19, 10:38 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

where do you purchase the fsport pipe? does anyone have a part number?

Quick Reply: Fsport pipe or HPS best choice to go with?