RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Side mirror problem on 2013 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 03:35 PM
TerryL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side mirror problem on 2013 rx 350

The passenger side mirror on my 2013 RX 350 is either off track or limits are off. The mirror is traveling beyond its normal position. How can I get it back in position?
Old 04-29-17, 12:03 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With your hands, tilt the mirror as far down as you can get it.
Get a cloth behind the opening across the top or use your fingers to gently pry the glass out.
It's held there only by two stainless/spring steel clips that get seated in the plastic motor assembly inside.
3 protruding bumps on the rear of the glass match up to 3 openings in the motor assembly.
Try removing & then re-installing the glass making sure it's aligned correctly with the motor.
Before you start:
Roll the window down & place a towel in the opening & draper it over the door to protect the paint.
Just changed the exterior cover on mine, job took less than 15 minutes.
Old 04-30-17, 02:12 AM
TerryL
Driver School Candidate

Steve,
The housing for the passenger side mirror extend beyond the normal position when I start the car. I have to manually pull it in position which leaves the housing loose, its like the limit is off. Any suggestions to repair?
Old 04-30-17, 09:02 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you have the auto folding mirrors ?
Dis assemble the mirror by removing the glass & removing 5 screws behind the glass.
This will separate the front & rear covers.
The mirror body is secured to a rotating post, held on by a spring steel washer. The washer snaps into a groove on the post.
Probably backed off & you'll have to reseat the washer to lock the mirror body into place.
Old 04-30-17, 12:51 PM
TerryL
Driver School Candidate

I'll let you know after I've taken it apart. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-12-17, 05:39 PM
TerryL
Driver School Candidate

I have a bad motor that operates the mirror, the dealer wanted 745.00 for the motor assembly and 122.00 to install. I found the complete mirror, the same color on ebay
for 496.00, the body shop replaced it for 78.00.
Old 01-17-18, 10:13 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having a somewhat similar issue. We have the mirrors set to fold when parking. When they extend back out, the passenger side goes out just a bit more than it should. Any idea how to get it back on track?
Old 01-17-18, 05:13 PM
TerryL
Driver School Candidate

I had to replace my mirror the motor was bad., check out the comment from SteveCraig it may help you.
The following users liked this post:
Skier76 (01-27-18)
Old 09-05-18, 03:18 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a loose passenger side mirror (hit my garage door frame). Today I tried to fix it by following this IS250 side mirror repairing video:
However, My spring and post are covered by a black plastic. How do I get into it? I guess the fastest way is to break the plastic.
Old 10-15-18, 03:40 PM
Chase2910
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2013 RX350 mirror extend too far

2013 RX350F

i have 2013 RX350F that unfolds the driver side folding mirror past the normal viewing position every time i start the vehicle. this happens regardless of whether the mirrors are folded, in auto, in manual etc. I am then forced to either pull it back to place manually or physically stop it in the correct position as it is unfolding. i was quoted CAD 1400 to fix it at the dealership and cannot afford that right now.

Is there a way of disconnecting the motor or any other fix available, any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-19, 03:28 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts
Default 14 RX Broken mirror housing

Backing into my garage and forced the passenger side outwards toward the front of the car. Didn't break the housing but now it's all haywire with the folding option. Can anyone direct me to the best posting here to try and repair it. I'm so angry with myself for doing this!
Old 05-03-19, 03:30 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

No one here has broken their mirror housing?
Old 07-04-19, 08:25 PM
CanNew
3rd Gear

Few threads in here so I won't start a new one for this topic.
Seems 2013+ don't have the same set up as alot of the videos you see but they are still essentially the same in the end.

My drivers side mirror started to extend to far. It would close automatically but I had to manually pull it back into place for it sit in the regular position.

The easy solution - Pull this to stop the mirror motor turning - and everything else should work normally.
you will manually need to turn them in and out.

Long version -
When you get to the above stage with the black case. that doesn't seem like it will come off it does but it's not simple.
There are 4 plastic clips around it. I tried to press these down to remove it to pull it out but they all broke. I don't feel these clips
are essential through. The motor is under here and connects to the next section so be careful here as the motors shaft goes into the next part.
I'll add some more photos of this stage tomorrow.

Once you pry that off you get to a white case where the motor above goes into.
Here you will also see the spring clip you were expecting from the other videos and posts.
If you want to test the motor and see what's going on here - plug the wire highlighted above back in and you will see the motor spin,

Hopefully these images will help you understand what's going on in there.
The problem for me is the ring in the last image, It looks like this had stoppers on it to prevent the mirror from over extending.
So if I can find a replacement for this I should be able to get it to work.again.
While I hunt for a replacement for that I'm going to resemble it and just pull the motor plug

broken clip

Where the clip should stop

This screw - is why you can't pull out this section.

The culprit

The following users liked this post:
roy7777 (07-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 03:25 PM
kkornbau
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you find the part

Has anyone found the metal clip replacement? I am having the same issue- took mine apart and it’s broken. Don’t want to pay over 1k for a 50 cent washer!!!
Old 07-21-21, 09:33 AM
robflyn
Driver School Candidate

I have the same broken clip. Thanks for those great pictures.
Anyone found a replacement?
Anyone had any luck removing one from a wreck and replacing?
I guess it will need to be disconnected for now.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Side mirror problem on 2013 rx 350