IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Steering rack tensioner bolt same as GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 11:30 AM
VegaSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack tensioner bolt same as GS?

On my recently purchased 2004 IS300 the steering seems too stiff and it doesn't return from turning well. The steering rack was recently replaced as well as the PS pump and the tie rod ends so I don't think it's related to wear. I just had an alignment done today and it didn't improve much. I've seen some discussion on the GS forums about a steering tension adjustment bolt on the steering rack and I wanted to know if it's the same procedure on the IS300? I'm hoping that I can loosen the tension a bit and it will be a bit easier to drive. Please let me know if you've done this yourself and what the results were.
Old 04-28-17, 01:28 PM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VegaSC300
On my recently purchased 2004 IS300 the steering seems too stiff and it doesn't return from turning well. The steering rack was recently replaced as well as the PS pump and the tie rod ends so I don't think it's related to wear. I just had an alignment done today and it didn't improve much. I've seen some discussion on the GS forums about a steering tension adjustment bolt on the steering rack and I wanted to know if it's the same procedure on the IS300? I'm hoping that I can loosen the tension a bit and it will be a bit easier to drive. Please let me know if you've done this yourself and what the results were.
Could be a number of things causing your steering to be "stiff".

When the rack was replaced was it bled properly? Air in the system can cause stiff steering as if it doesn't have p/s. Also, check your sway bar end links on the front of the car. They can deteriorate and get damaged leading to stiff steering feedback, especially at low speeds.

Also did they connect the sensor back to the power steering pump? I'm pretty sure that's for the variable speed power steering. This could also cause tight steering issues.

To answer your original question, yes the procedure should be the same for the IS steering rack as the GS steering rack is very similar.
Old 04-28-17, 01:34 PM
VegaSC300
Driver School Candidate

I didn't do the rack replacement, it was done by the PO, however, I did replace the PS pump and I bled the air out of the system and flushed the fluid by simply jacking up the front of the car and turning left to right. Is there a bleed procedure at the rack itself? Also, the tie rod end links are brand new and it's sitting on F&F coilovers. What is the sensor that you mention for the power steering? If it wasn't connected would that throw a check engine light? I don't see any disconnected harness bits, but I will have to get under there to inspect it closer and try adjusting that tension bolt.
Old 04-28-17, 01:39 PM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VegaSC300
I didn't do the rack replacement, it was done by the PO, however, I did replace the PS pump and I bled the air out of the system and flushed the fluid by simply jacking up the front of the car and turning left to right. Is there a bleed procedure at the rack itself? Also, the tie rod end links are brand new and it's sitting on F&F coilovers. What is the sensor that you mention for the power steering? If it wasn't connected would that throw a check engine light? I don't see any disconnected harness bits, but I will have to get under there to inspect it closer and try adjusting that tension bolt.

behind the pulley, I didn't install the one on my engine and there's no CEL for it.
Old 04-28-17, 02:47 PM
VegaSC300
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that electrical connection is connected. That was something I connected when I replaced the PS pump.