IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Owner - Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 07:59 AM
curio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Noise?

This week I purchased a 2014 IS250 with 20K miles. I have no problems with it, drives perfect. However, when I first start the car and then idle out of a parking lot, with windows down I can hear a clanky metal-like sound coming from below the car. I know that's not much info but I can't tell what it is. Any idea? The car drives perfect so I don't know if this is standard transmission sounds or what. Once I start speeding up, I can't hear it. I don't know if that's because it's not there, or if increased speed just makes it harder to hear. Sorry for the little info.
Old 04-28-17, 08:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,500 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by curio
This week I purchased a 2014 IS250 with 20K miles. I have no problems with it, drives perfect. However, when I first start the car and then idle out of a parking lot, with windows down I can hear a clanky metal-like sound coming from below the car. I know that's not much info but I can't tell what it is. Any idea? The car drives perfect so I don't know if this is standard transmission sounds or what. Once I start speeding up, I can't hear it. I don't know if that's because it's not there, or if increased speed just makes it harder to hear. Sorry for the little info.
Is the sound in sync with the engine speed? i.e., when you press the gas does the noise speed up? Better yet, is it even a constant/repeated sound?
Old 04-28-17, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If it's a "clicking" sound it's the fuel injectors and it's normal.
Old 04-28-17, 11:32 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this the sound you're referring to? if it is, be happy, that's the sound of a healthy engine.

Old 04-28-17, 12:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It should be the same on the 250 as it's the direct injection that ticks, and both have it. The port injection doesn't come on at idle as I understand.
Old 04-29-17, 04:16 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Go get an oil change with best Synthetic Oil, make a video and post on here, when you 1st buy used car no matter what dealer do just get yourself an oil change so you can keep track with your own maintenance record, but the vid clib that crosszz11 posted above, that's a healthy direct injection Engine sounds.

I need your own car's video before i can judge but anyways, Lexus has learnt a lot from previous IS model so i doubt your 2014 IS250 has any carbon buildup or camshaft issue, by the way welcome to Lexus Family and drive happy !
Old 05-03-17, 05:42 AM
curio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. No, it's not the healthy engine sound above. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a flag pole on a windy day (you know when the chain on the pole keeps clanging against the pole??). It sounds like it's coming from under the car, or near the wheels, not in the engine.
Old 05-03-17, 05:15 PM
lexiboi
Driver School Candidate

Hey peeps, can anyone confirm the engine sound for my 2017 IS 300 is completely normal?

2017 IS 300 Engine Ticking Sound:
Old 05-03-17, 06:03 PM
lexiboi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it.
Old 05-03-17, 06:19 PM
lexiboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
No worries... now stop hijacking other poster's threads... (kidding ;-)
Opps! haha
Old 05-03-17, 08:01 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiboi
Hey peeps, can anyone confirm the engine sound for my 2017 IS 300 is completely normal?

2017 IS 300 Engine Ticking Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf7MnROihBU
Oh boy thats the injector noise on every D I E Engine BMW Audi same thing. tick tick tick your car is 2017 brand new ;p
Old 05-04-17, 04:48 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks guys. No, it's not the healthy engine sound above. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a flag pole on a windy day (you know when the chain on the pole keeps clanging against the pole??). It sounds like it's coming from under the car, or near the wheels, not in the engine.
does it sound like a rattle under the car near the driver side? and does it happen when you step on the gas?
Old 05-06-17, 11:46 AM
curio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by premier3IS
does it sound like a rattle under the car near the driver side? and does it happen when you step on the gas?
It does sound like it's coming from the driver side, but I wouldn't describe it as a "rattle." It's more clunky than rattle. But why, do you have something in mind? I'm open to suggestions on what to look at it.
Old 05-06-17, 11:36 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

It does sound like it's coming from the driver side, but I wouldn't describe it as a "rattle." It's more clunky than rattle. But why, do you have something in mind? I'm open to suggestions on what to look at it.
At first i thought it was the heat shield that may be causing the rattle, so I checked it and it looked fine. Took it to Lexus and they checked the vehicle out, said everything was normal. I then asked to get into another IS on the lot and see if it had the same issue... it did. Floored the gas pedal on it and you can hear the slight rattle / clunky sound.

I honestly haven't tried to diagnose it again, but from what I can tell, its just how it is lol. Take it to your dealership and have them take a look at it if you're still concerned and let us know what they say.
Old 05-08-17, 06:21 PM
curio
Driver School Candidate

Took it into the local Lexus dealership today. It was there for a few hours before they could determine what it was. Apparently the tire pressure sensor came loose and was clanking around inside the driver side front tire. I didn't really believe them when they reported this to me over the phone. Doesn't seem like a little tire pressure sensor could make the kind of clangy sound I was hearing. It was very loud. Nevertheless, I haven't heard the clang since driving home so I guess that's what it was. They charged me $106 which wasn't bad but I was hoping my bumper to bumper warranty would've covered that. One last thing, the steering wheel seems to be slightly pulling toward the left now.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Noise?