LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Last Dealer Service while under CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 12:52 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Last Dealer Service while under CPO Warranty

CL friends: I have scheduled the final Lexus servicing (oil change) on my 2008 LS600hL prior to the expiration of my 3-year CPO warranty, and was wondering what everyone would recommend I have the dealer look for/check out for potential repairs while I still get them for free. My car had 58K miles when I bought it 3 years ago, and has 81K miles now. I did buy the extended CPO warranty that will keep me basically covered for another 3 years, but that one has a $100 deductible per problem, so now's the time to get everything fixed.

I plan to have Lexus take a close look at my Upper and Lower Control Arms and my Air Shocks. I've had intermittent problems with my door jam switches (dome lights stay on when doors are all shut sometimes, and headlights fail to shut off sometimes after I leave the car). I hope Lexus can replicate so they can replace the switches, although I know these aren't very expensive if I have to pay for them myself later.

I'm also hearing a high-pitched whistling/whining sound when I turn the wheel either way when stopped completely (especially pronounced when I first start the car). Not sure what this could be, since our steering is electrical, but I'm going to see if they can figure it out.

Overall, I've only had two warranty repairs in the 3 years I've owned the car: The TSB for low-pitched moaning from the transfer case when turning sharply in a parking lot (fixed with replacing the differential fluid 3 times with the "miracle fluid" made by Lexus), and I had a Bank 2 O2 Sensor failure earlier this year (replaced under warranty).

Any advice on how I should approach the dealer to have them thoroughly look for expensive things that need fixing while still on Lexus' dime? Thanks!
Old 04-27-17, 02:32 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing you can do is go to an Indy and have them do a thorough PPI. Take the list of things they found wrong and have your dealer fix the issues.
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 09:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Overall, I've only had two warranty repairs in the 3 years I've owned the car
Which is why some of us here at CL have repeatedly advised against purchasing a warranty.

I agree with enoch861,,,,a good individual PPI would be a worthy expenditure. Certainly the control arms, ball joints and brake controller/actuator would be the common issues. I might also ask for a compression check. Are you consuming any oil between changes?
Old 04-28-17, 11:40 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Which is why some of us here at CL have repeatedly advised against purchasing a warranty.

I agree with enoch861,,,,a good individual PPI would be a worthy expenditure. Certainly the control arms, ball joints and brake controller/actuator would be the common issues. I might also ask for a compression check. Are you consuming any oil between changes?
Agreed on the necessity of a good PPI as a worthy expenditure. As to an extended warranty, based on probabilities, they are often bad deals by any financial measure. People, however, often take more than financial factors into consideration when making financial decisions. Intangibles and subjective elements, such as a person's peace of mind, also play an important role in making those decisions.

As long as one is making an informed decision and as long as one can afford it, making a suboptimal financial choice is fine, IMO. Face it, buying an LS460 or any luxury car is usually not the best financial choice.
Old 04-28-17, 01:05 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Purchasing an extended warranty is a personal choice and I'm glad I did. I purchased one on a Audi, MB, Cadillac and my current Lexus LS and each one paid for itself many time over. For those who have purchased an extended warranty on a used import or domestic and felt like it was a waste of money or you didn't have any repairs, well congratulation and thumps up to all of you. I wasn't that lucky.
Old 04-28-17, 02:44 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Purchasing an extended warranty is a personal choice and I'm glad I did. I purchased one on a Audi, MB, Cadillac and my current Lexus LS and each one paid for itself many time over. For those who have purchased an extended warranty on a used import or domestic and felt like it was a waste of money or you didn't have any repairs, well congratulation and thumps up to all of you. I wasn't that lucky.
I don't buy extended warranties but I'm glad I did on this LS.
Complete front lower control arms , brake actuator, and ML amp. Most recent - 2 front shocks and 2 TMPS.
The last two are not expensive to replace but free is free and no hassle except driving it to the dealer.
Just drop off the car and get a free loaner.

Just bought a 2017 ES 6 weeks ago and I didn't even consider buying an extended warranty as the ES is not expensive to fix/repair compared to an LS.
Old 04-29-17, 08:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Face it, buying an LS460 or any luxury car is usually not the best financial choice.
No....but driving it makes me look extra sexy.

Warranty? Meh....not so much.

Complete front lower control arms , brake actuator, and ML amp. Most recent - 2 front shocks and 2 TMPS.
Brake actuator is covered by Lexus until 2018 or so, regardless of whether you purchase a warranty. Control arms I replaced all 8 (upper and lower) and my shocks (all 4) for 1500 dollars. Though I agree....peace of mind is important to some.