RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Creaky Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 10:26 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Creaky Tailgate

My 2017 RX450h has a very creaky tailgate since I got the car. The tailgate creaks when the road is uneven with one wheel higher than the other moving the car at low speeds. This is typical when turning into a ramp, or driving through the alley. On my 5K service, I indicated the problem. However, the dealer returned the car with the printed output stating it was unable to reproduce the problem.

I have tightened every screw I could find, which has minimized some of the noise. In fact, several of the plastic pieces on the tailgate (top and side spoilers, body under glass and on top of the rear lights) just creak by touching them, so I am not sure how to get rid of the noise. Do others have this issue? If so, how do I fix it?
Old 04-26-17, 11:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Next time, find a place near the dealer where you can replicate the creak. Then have the technician ride with you at an appointment. If they can't hear it, they can't fix it. I've had pretty good results on getting creaks/rattles addressed when I drive with a technician at the dealer.
Old 04-27-17, 01:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

You can also apply some spray lubricant to parts that are creaking to see if that will help.

Had a door that had a squeaked when going over a bump. Applied a little silicone to the rubber door gasket and all was quiet!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-27-17 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 05:14 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Somewhat related...Is there a way to make the tailgate open faster?
Old 04-27-17, 06:44 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Most of my creaking comes from the cover. Sometimes it makes strange noises, but removing it solves the problem. I have lubricated the ends and that works for awhile. When I first got the car, I to thought it was the tailgate and did the same as you. It turned out to be the cover....give her a shot if you haven't already.
Old 04-27-17, 09:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
Somewhat related...Is there a way to make the tailgate open faster?
Afraid not. Lexus stays on the safe side and does not want the rear door to knock you down.
The following users liked this post:
Hubs (04-28-17)
Old 04-27-17, 08:14 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Most of my creaking comes from the cover. Sometimes it makes strange noises, but removing it solves the problem. I have lubricated the ends and that works for awhile. When I first got the car, I to thought it was the tailgate and did the same as you. It turned out to be the cover....give her a shot if you haven't already.
That was the first thing I tried. Removed the cover, but the creaking continues.

Just poking the tailgate spoiler and side spoiler is enough to make it creak. If I open the tailgate and lay my hand on one corner of the open tailgate it creaks. So just any slight pressure on a corner of that tailgate is enough to make a lot of creaking sounds. So I do not it is the seals. I have heard the seals creaking on the front doors and is not the same sound. This sounds has more plastic and metal creaks.
Old 04-28-17, 08:36 AM
FastFord
Racer

Sounds like something the dealer will have to isolate. Hopefully it happens when you are there cause you know...oh sorry we can't find anything wrong.
Good luck, those creaks and rattles can be very frustrating!
The following users liked this post:
lexnewbi (04-30-17)
Old 04-28-17, 01:40 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Afraid not. Lexus stays on the safe side and does not want the rear door to knock you down.
LOL, I guess that's possible. I get impatient waiting for it to open sometimes. Audi's tailgate seems much faster.
Old 04-30-17, 08:25 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Sounds like something the dealer will have to isolate. Hopefully it happens when you are there cause you know...oh sorry we can't find anything wrong.
Good luck, those creaks and rattles can be very frustrating!
After poking at the tailgate for a while, It seemed it was the side plastic spoilers mating to the top spoiler. Well, I loosen the screws of the spoiler and place a little piece of rubber between the side spoiler and top spoiler. Creaks are gone! Pretty simple and took less time than driving to the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexnewbi:
FastFord (05-01-17), ravenuer (03-14-23)
Old 05-01-17, 05:09 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
LOL, I guess that's possible. I get impatient waiting for it to open sometimes. Audi's tailgate seems much faster.
LOL I thought I was the only one that noticed that.. We have a 3G RX and also find that the cargo door is ridiculously slow to open. And funny you mention Audi, we test drove a Q7 last weekend and while looking over the vehicle I noticed how much quicker the cargo door opened.

OP - we had a creak in the cargo area on the 3RX and it turned out to be the privacy panel that stays affixed (not the retractable cover) to the cargo door at the bottom of the glass. Not sure if the 4RX's have this, but one side wasn't fully attached which was causing our sound.
Old 05-01-17, 07:20 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
After poking at the tailgate for a while, It seemed it was the side plastic spoilers mating to the top spoiler. Well, I loosen the screws of the spoiler and place a little piece of rubber between the side spoiler and top spoiler. Creaks are gone! Pretty simple and took less time than driving to the dealer.
Hey, Good fix!

Funny this is what you did as I noticed the little side spoilers do make noises. I was polishing the car this weekend and noticed they creak a bit if you rub them... Glad it worked out for you, yea!!
Old 03-13-23, 04:02 PM
choste11
1st Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but thought my experience with a squeaking sound from the rear lift gate area might help someone. For a while now I’ve had this squeak coming from the rear when I went over bumps. I had some lawn chairs in the trunk and figured it was that. I eventually took out the lawn chairs and the squeak was still there. I took a look yesterday to see if there was anything obvious. The culprit was the plastic tray beside the spare tire, located under the flap on the trunk’s surface. When I pushed down on this plastic piece I can hear the squeak sound. As a fix, I used some foam I had lying around and shoved it around the tray. Squeak is gone!
The following 4 users liked this post by choste11:
bamalam (03-14-23), eddie420 (03-14-23), jollick (03-13-23), ravenuer (03-14-23)
Old 10-20-23, 12:25 PM
DanielDotor
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate noise

That was the first thing I tried. Removed the cover, but the creaking continues.

Just poking the tailgate spoiler and side spoiler is enough to make it creak. If I open the tailgate and lay my hand on one corner of the open tailgate it creaks. So just any slight pressure on a corner of that tailgate is enough to make a lot of creaking sounds. So I do not it is the seals. I have heard the seals creaking on the front doors and is not the same sound. This sounds has more plastic and metal creaks.
Hi did you find out what the source of the noise is? I have something very similar and have tried everything.
Old 10-20-23, 12:32 PM
DanielDotor
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaky noise

My 2017 RX450h has a very creaky tailgate since I got the car. The tailgate creaks when the road is uneven with one wheel higher than the other moving the car at low speeds. This is typical when turning into a ramp, or driving through the alley. On my 5K service, I indicated the problem. However, the dealer returned the car with the printed output stating it was unable to reproduce the problem.

I have tightened every screw I could find, which has minimized some of the noise. In fact, several of the plastic pieces on the tailgate (top and side spoilers, body under glass and on top of the rear lights) just creak by touching them, so I am not sure how to get rid of the noise. Do others have this issue? If so, how do I fix it?
hi, did you solve the noise, I cannot find a solution to mine.

Quick Reply: Creaky Tailgate