GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can't Remove Rear Rotor.... Parking Brake Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 08:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Can't Remove Rear Rotor.... Parking Brake Stuck

So I'm replacing rotors and brakes all around Plus Drivers side caliper. I figured I would do the passenger side first since I have to rotate those tires ( Did drivers side the day before ) Plus I was waiting for the hardware to come in from Rockauto. Surprise they are a day early. Anyway I start on the passenger rear and everything is going fine. I remove the caliper then pop the rotor off with 2 M8 x 1.25 bolts but it won't release. After fiddling with it for a while I look in the back and see the Parking brake Stuck to it. That killed the project for the day since I have to go to work but I thought I would ask you guys/gals how in the h*** am Isupposed to get this brake to release?
Old 04-26-17, 09:28 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you disenagage/release the parking brake?
Old 04-26-17, 10:46 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

The parking brake is not on. I even stepped on the lever and then released it to see if that would free I up. I had to put the tire back on minus caliper since I didn't have the time to try and figure it out. Now I'll have to get back to it this weekend maybe but I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. I read a thread about changing rear brakes in the forum and the guy said if the parking brake is building the rotor to turn the adjustment screw to release tension.
Old 04-26-17, 11:49 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

That may be what you have to do(adjust the parking brake show to release tension). I had the same issue initially but I was able to shimmy the rotor off.
Old 04-26-17, 02:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to wiggle it off but it was bringing the parking brake skiing for the ride so I left it.
Old 04-26-17, 10:48 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just adjusted my right rear parking brake, turn the rotor until the access hole is in the 9:00 position. If you push the screwdriver between the cogged wheel and the spring, that tightens the park brake, pushing the cogged wheel on the other side will loosen it. In other words, rotating the cogged wheel right to left will loosen it.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexuseng:
prech (01-09-20), sha4000 (04-27-17)
Old 04-26-17, 11:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuseng
Having just adjusted my right rear parking brake, turn the rotor until the access hole is in the 9:00 position. If you push the screwdriver between the cogged wheel and the spring, that tightens the park brake, pushing the cogged wheel on the other side will loosen it. In other words, rotating the cogged wheel right to left will loosen it.
Thanks for responding, I was just googling the issue and found an old thread where another member had the same problem and he said basically the same thing. I popped the plug out this morning and tried to rotate the rotor but it would not turn and since I was already frustrated and had to go to work I just put the wheel back on. I had to use my electric Impact to push the rotor back down enough to get the lugs on there. This is my first AWD vehicle so is it possible for the wheel to rotate if it's the only one off the ground? I know on my 400 I had to have both rear wheels in the air with the car in neutral to spin the rear wheels.
Old 04-27-17, 01:22 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Thanks for responding, I was just googling the issue and found an old thread where another member had the same problem and he said basically the same thing. I popped the plug out this morning and tried to rotate the rotor but it would not turn and since I was already frustrated and had to go to work I just put the wheel back on. I had to use my electric Impact to push the rotor back down enough to get the lugs on there. This is my first AWD vehicle so is it possible for the wheel to rotate if it's the only one off the ground? I know on my 400 I had to have both rear wheels in the air with the car in neutral to spin the rear wheels.
Nope, it won't rotate with only one wheel off the ground. If both rear wheels are off the ground, you should be able to spin one of them even when in park, and the other wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. That's how it works on my RWD 350, and the AWD uses the same rear diff so it shouldn't be any different!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sodium:
prech (01-09-20), sha4000 (04-27-17)
Old 04-27-17, 01:42 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Is your parking brake working, cable could be seized like your adjuster put the 2 release bolts in and start turning and hammer the disc were the shoes contact and just keep going good luck.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-27-17)
Old 04-27-17, 06:24 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
Nope, it won't rotate with only one wheel off the ground. If both rear wheels are off the ground, you should be able to spin one of them even when in park, and the other wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. That's how it works on my RWD 350, and the AWD uses the same rear diff so it shouldn't be any different!
That's what I thought, thanks

Originally Posted by isfvss
Is your parking brake working, cable could be seized like your adjuster put the 2 release bolts in and start turning and hammer the disc were the shoes contact and just keep going good luck.
Parking brake is fine. I did give it a couple of wacks but maybe I did not hit it hard enough.
Old 04-27-17, 04:11 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Hit it then release the 2 bolts and keep on repeating till you get it good luck again.
Old 04-29-17, 12:30 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

I was able to rotate my rear wheel with only 1 wheel off the ground by putting the car in neutral. Of course that means you have to turn ignition on without stepping on the brake. I would then turn the car off so the dash lights would go off while I worked on the wheel but be warned, even with the dash lights off, somehow having the car in neutral will tax your battery and if you leave it that way for an hour, you won't be able to start your car (another lesson learned the hard way). It's like leaving your lights on but not sure why it's using so much energy from the battery. Maybe someone can explain that.
sha4000 (04-30-17)
Old 04-29-17, 02:17 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

I was able to rotate my rear wheel with only 1 wheel off the ground by putting the car in neutral. Of course that means you have to turn ignition on without stepping on the brake. I would then turn the car off so the dash lights would go off while I worked on the wheel but be warned, even with the dash lights off, somehow having the car in neutral will tax your battery and if you leave it that way for an hour, you won't be able to start your car (another lesson learned the hard way). It's like leaving your lights on but not sure why it's using so much energy from the battery. Maybe someone can explain that.
Your car is RWD though right? One wheel off the ground + neutral will work in the RWD, but not in the AWD. It should work in an AWD with the car in neutral and both one front and one rear wheel off the ground.

And as for battery drain in neutral, I've been there too! It's because the car won't turn completely off when it's in neutral for safety reasons, so the entire time it's in neutral the battery is powering sensors and computers
Old 04-30-17, 12:11 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Your car is RWD though right? One wheel off the ground + neutral will work in the RWD, but not in the AWD. It should work in an AWD with the car in neutral and both one front and one rear wheel off the ground.

And as for battery drain in neutral, I've been there too! It's because the car won't turn completely off when it's in neutral for safety reasons, so the entire time it's in neutral the battery is powering sensors and computers
Actually my car is AWD. I war replacing rear wheel bearing and only had it jacked up on the wheel I was working on (working on a slight downhill slope so wanted to make sure other wheel had park brake on). I was able to spin wheel to check the wheel bearing as I was re-installing.
prech (01-09-20)
Old 04-30-17, 12:54 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Actually my car is AWD. I war replacing rear wheel bearing and only had it jacked up on the wheel I was working on (working on a slight downhill slope so wanted to make sure other wheel had park brake on). I was able to spin wheel to check the wheel bearing as I was re-installing.
Interesting. Does the AWD have one of those drivetrain setups where it stops sending power to the front wheels above a certain vehicle speed?

Quick Reply: Can't Remove Rear Rotor.... Parking Brake Stuck