LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

So which is the better car 05-06 LS430 or 07-10 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 09:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default So which is the better car 05-06 LS430 or 07-10 LS460?

Kind of going back and forth between these two cars, as there are some things I like about the newer 460, but some things the 430 does better IMO.

Getting back to ride/isolation/quietness/refinement, I think the 430 wins hands down. The 460 does handle a bit better, and it is faster(especially if you stomp on it at interstate speeds). Still handling is something I don't care that much about since this is going to be mainly a straight line interstate sort of car, set the cruise at 80mph and relax sort of car.

Main thing is I think the LS430 feels screwed together a bit tighter, the interior seems a bit nicer, as I don't care for the dash design and outdated "screen" controls on the late 00's LS460, vs the more traditional buttons on basic LS430 radios(not a fan of nav equipped LS430's either, wouldn't buy a car with one). Granted when they redid the dash design on the 2012 or 2013 LS, the fixed all my gripes, that interior is beautiful, but one of those cars are a bit more than I want to spend.

Style wise, I have to give the nod to the LS460, it does look more contemporary and modern. The 430 is more of an old man's car, but with the right wheels it looks great(some of those 16" stock wheel options suck IMO). Right now I'm leaning towards the LS430, reading about it seems to have fewer problems than the 460, is more isloated from the road, and is a bit cheaper as well.

Saw a really nice 2006 LS430, 93k miles, original owner wanted $12,000 for it. Interior was like a new car save the floor mats, navy blue on the medium tan interior. Only problem was the front bumper, it had one big scratch on it and was misaligned on the opposite fender, owner bumped into something in the parking lot. Other than that, the paint was immaculate, no swirls, not even a door ding. Also it smelled like that damn pipe he had been smoking on the inside. Not to say it was a nasty cigarette smell, hell it actually smelled kind of woody and nice, but definitely had an aroma about it. I would have bought if he hadn't smoked his damn pipe inside the car.

I'm still thinking about that car, as he hasn't sold it yet, but is there a way to get that damn pipe/cigar smell out of the car(no burn marks on the interior either).
Old 04-25-17, 04:37 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You can buy an ozone generator to get rid of the smell.
​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-25-17, 04:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

No doubt if one likes to simply cruise on the highway, the LS430 is pretty good and it can even muster 26-28 mpg on a good day if allowed to run @ 72'ish uninterrupted. Smoke would bother me, I've had rental cars and hotel rooms where nothing could get rid of the smell except switching, nein danke. that's one thing I report right away because I don't want to get fined when I wasn't the one who did it...
Old 04-25-17, 11:40 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Kind of going back and forth between these two cars, as there are some things I like about the newer 460, but some things the 430 does better IMO.

I'm still thinking about that car, as he hasn't sold it yet, but is there a way to get that damn pipe/cigar smell out of the car(no burn marks on the interior either).
I helped my grandson clean the smoke smell from a 2001 Toyota GT that he had purchased used with 110,000 miles. The previous one-owner had smoked cigarettes during that time. We scrubbed the complete interior with an Oxi-Clean mixture. It cleaned up looking almost like new. The cloth seats took quite a while as they were saturated during cleaning. Bottom line: no smoke odor whatsoever and still odor free after a year.

I would think that the LS430 having leather seats would become smoke free. Only areas of greater concern would be the headliner and carpets. I'd go for it. just my opinion.
Old 04-25-17, 11:52 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

spot on about the interior being screwed tight, 430 hands down, better finish, better quality control, made pre market crash,( toyota didnt take a hard hit prior to 08) and more money put into them.
Old 04-25-17, 11:58 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS460 being newer, more modern and more electronic means there's more pricey bits to break. I went for the 430 because of price and relative simplicity while still having most modern luxuries/comforts.

While the 460 does like nice, the 430 can look damn good with the right details ie, wheels, tint, etc...
Old 04-25-17, 01:45 PM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
is there a way to get that damn pipe/cigar smell out of the car(no burn marks on the interior either).
Are you certain he was a smoker? When I bought my 05, I thought there was a smoke smell and even had the dealer throw in a professional cleaning with the purchase...anyways, before I took it in for the cleaning, I rode in my friends LS and it had the same smell, and I realized it was just the smell of the car and the interior.

It was almost a woody/old person/smoke mix, but I guess it might come with the car as it ages.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong, just my .02.
Old 04-25-17, 03:56 PM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the cabin filter after the interior is washed.
Old 04-25-17, 04:03 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by regeenoble
Are you certain he was a smoker? When I bought my 05, I thought there was a smoke smell and even had the dealer throw in a professional cleaning with the purchase...anyways, before I took it in for the cleaning, I rode in my friends LS and it had the same smell, and I realized it was just the smell of the car and the interior.

It was almost a woody/old person/smoke mix, but I guess it might come with the car as it ages.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong, just my .02.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree here. My 2001 LS430 still has a smell of leather and nothing else. Smells from a smoker in cars are close to impossible to get rid of short of tearing the interior apart down to the flooring as well as headliner etc... I'd pass on any car that was a smoker's car. Same with real estate when purchasing a home. Very difficult to remove.
Old 04-25-17, 04:57 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree, pass on the smoker's car. Now, to answer your question. It depends on what you want. If you want something closer to the latest and greatest with better looks, handling and more up to date features, get the LS 460. You will pay much more for it, initially and as you drive it. The quality and longevity are an open question. Remember, you are on a LS 430 forum. we are biased but more positive evidence exists attesting to the quality and longevity of a well maintained LS 430.

At the end of the day, it is a car and should get you where you want to go. I tend to look at it that way valuing comfort, reliability and value over style. At the end of say, 100,000 to 150,000 miles of ownership, your cost to drive the LS 430 should be substantially less and you will have a smile on your face the entire time. Since I like the comfort, reliability and the joy of driving it, I choose the LS 430. Life is good in America because your choice is up to you. Good luck, live and be well.
Old 04-25-17, 07:05 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I was just recently in the same situation trying to decide between an LS430 or spending more and getting an LS460. I ended up sticking with the LS430 because I could get a nice car for a good price that would keep me from having a car payment. I really want a 2013+ LS460 and I knew if I bought a '07 - '09 I would have a payment for a while that probably keep me from having a 2013+ for several years. I'm still really happy with the LS430 and in 3 or 4 years I think the 2013+ will be down in $25k range. I'll be willing to take on a car payment then.

In my opinion, $12k is worth it if the car is in really good condition. With the bumper that needs to be fixed and probably painted I would think it should be more in the $11k range.I will probably take you the $1k to get the bumper back to where it needs to be.
Old 04-25-17, 11:56 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

get as much LS as you can afford, but save some $ for repairs and maintenance. the reliability index says the 2010 is the most reliable of the years you list, followed by the 2007, 2006, 2005, 2003. I would avoid the 2008-9 and 2004 years as they are the least reliable, and not as many were made. all are at least okay
Old 04-26-17, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't really recognize the 460's by year when they're on the road, but one was tailgating me over the bridge yesterday, and I remarked he has dim DRLs like I do, and it looks dated as such. Then I saw another with bright white led DRLs that looked at least to me more modern. In a modern car, we would expect that, as well as the DRL turning off when signaling, so if a '10 has it, I'd be all for it. Again in our sub-section we're all about reliability, but other parts of CL are not, so it all boils down to what the person spending the $$$$ really wants. Right now, I am about reliability and TCO. Without an indie or full DIY, that TCO is out the window on any LS....
Old 04-26-17, 06:40 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You can use a ozone generator and keep it closed up afterwards for 24 hours or even carefully fill a few containers with a few cups of vinegar and let them sit in the car for a few days with all the windows closed... Always also replace the cabin filter. I would also after the above, then clean your AC condenser with 70% rubbing alcohol with the widows open and the car running with the AC on high. This should all help. Good luck.
Old 04-26-17, 07:18 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You don't really realize the look of the car when you're behind the wheel.

Run, do not walk, away from a smoker's car.

Quick Reply: So which is the better car 05-06 LS430 or 07-10 LS460?