SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Steering Wheel Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 09:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Cool SC430 Steering Wheel Upgrade

Hey team, so I've been out of the country for the last few weeks. Visited family in the UK and in-laws in Poland. There's been a project that I've had in the works, that I was able to work into this trip. Specifically, after I saw a owner's (Neil E) custom sports steering wheel I was hooked. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find his thread to post this review. UPDATE: Found one post from him... starts @ #528 https://forum.lexus-world.com/thread...e-27#post-7226
Anyway, luckily I had two steering wheels; the original dark maple wood (still untouched), and a second wheel which I had painted in high gloss black (which is now altered to the sport wheel) to match my Anthracite Carbon Fiber interior. Neil E gave me all the information on the gentleman, named Tomasz who works out of Poland. Via email and WhatsApp we discussed the details, cost, plan of attack ,etc. As I knew I would visiting my in-laws, I took the wheel with me in my carry on as I knew I would only be in Poland for a day before leaving for the UK. As soon as I touched down in Poland, I mailed it to him so he could start work. He has a US Ebay listing with all his work on different models of cars but I didn't want to pay for customs, or wait the extended amount of shipping time, or much less have the chance of the steering wheel being lost in transit; so I planned my trip around this. After mailing him the wheel, I left Poland for a week to visit family in the UK, and once I returned the wheel was ready and Tomasz posted it to me. Got the wheel within a day. I got to spend another 5 days with my family in Poland and had a great time all while looking forward to installing this awesome steering wheel.
As for the wheel, I am incredibly impressed. Affordable. Great craftsmanship. Truly quality work. Hand stitched. I got to choose my options from the shape, thumb rest, palm rests, stitching color, additional thickness, wheel finish, etc. Once back in the US, it was such an easy swap. Especially since I had experience in changing the steering wheel previously from the dark maple to the painted gloss black. All the buttons, volume controls, track up/down, cruise control work perfectly. I elected for the option to thicken the diameter and I have no complaints. Feels much more sporty. I'm so impressed with this wheel so I just thought I'd link the old ebay listing and some pictures. Usually, he purchases the steering wheel himself so the ebay cost includes the cost of a steering wheel that he acquires at his own behest, but as I was bringing my own to him we worked out a deal. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-LEXUS...599?rmvSB=true

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-30-17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 09:49 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....looking good Shawn !!!!
The following users liked this post:
ShawnOk (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 04:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

ShawnOK strikes again! Great work.
ShawnOk (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 07:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Hey Shawn, did you change the Dash cluster or install LEDs?

it looks really good!
ShawnOk (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 02:44 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I love that new wheel!!

I am not fond of the combo wood leather that comes stock. Not the looks...but the feel.

These seem pretty common on most cars, but rently bought a new Acura MDX and it cam with full leather....feels so much better that a wood wheel.

So if I am reading the ebay ad right...under $350 shipped? That would be an awesome deal...is that correct?

Thanks for sharing!
ShawnOk (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 08:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Hey Shawn, did you change the Dash cluster or install LEDs?

it looks really good!
No, not yet. I really would like to change them to more powerful LED. The LED's in the cluster are the original. I called a few companies in the area that did instrument cluster rebuilds, and none ever got back to me. If anyone has a way or connection to change the LEDs in the cluster, I'm all ears.
Old 04-24-17, 09:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sippy2
I love that new wheel!!

I am not fond of the combo wood leather that comes stock. Not the looks...but the feel.

These seem pretty common on most cars, but rently bought a new Acura MDX and it cam with full leather....feels so much better that a wood wheel.

So if I am reading the ebay ad right...under $350 shipped? That would be an awesome deal...is that correct?

Thanks for sharing!
Yup, that's about right. Depends on currency exchange rates though. As I mentioned, since I already had my own spare wheel and carried on and off the plane we negotiated a discount. He's truly a very nice guy and very helpful. He is also quite proficient in English. I did, however, let my wife do most of the talking so nothing would be lost in translation as I'm naturally a pessimist. He explained all the options and the plan of attack; even how to set up the Polish next day shipping service as I haven't mailed anything in Poland before. He even took Cash on Delivery so I could inspect the work! He responded to my every email and whatsapp message (albeit remember Poland is approx 6-7 hours ahead of the USA so I sent the messages accordingly). Just so happy that it got accomplished and was so painless. In my mind, things were playing out a lot worse (ie. Polish mail service losing my wheel altogether, being charging increased duty/taxes, or even airport security exploding my carry on or checked back b/c of a strange object).

Ps. there's only one caveat to the whole deal. Naturally, for anyone interested in this, he either has to find a used SC430 steering wheel to refurbish or you'd have to mail him a steering wheel that you purchase here in the US. Something to think about. Also, I do not get any kickback from him. I just feel like true workmanship is rare in these days of assembly lines and automated assembly. I just feel that someone who does expert craftsmanship the old fashioned way, deserves credit and gratitude for creating something custom.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-24-17 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 09:51 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...so from the time he received your steering wheel, how long did it take to finish ?
Old 04-24-17, 09:58 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...so from the time he received your steering wheel, how long did it take to finish ?
Total shop time was 5 days, but he moved my project to to top of his list to avoid having to mail it to me in the US. I mailed it to him by 2 day shipping. He mailed it back next day delivery. So total was 8 days turnaround.
Old 04-24-17, 10:06 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Total shop time was 5 days, but he moved my project to to top of his list to avoid having to mail it to me in the US. I mailed it to him by 2 day shipping. He mailed it back next day delivery. So total was 8 days turnaround.
....thats not bad at all......man if we lived closer together, our wives would probably be mad at us, but we would have some awesome Sc's....lol
Old 04-27-17, 11:21 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Hey Shawn, that is really impressive. It looks great.

If anyone wants to tackle this project on their own, you can watch this video.

I don't think I have the patience for it, but it can be done.
Old 04-27-17, 04:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....thats not bad at all......man if we lived closer together, our wives would probably be mad at us, but we would have some awesome Sc's....lol
Absolutely true.
Old 04-27-17, 04:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Hey Shawn, that is really impressive. It looks great.

If anyone wants to tackle this project on their own, you can watch this video.

I don't think I have the patience for it, but it can be done.
https://youtu.be/sStxk4mv_DY
That's a great video and the Youtuber's results are awesome. I'm still not sure how Tomasz put in the curved thumb rests, palm rests or changed a round wheel to a "D" shaped one with a flat bottom, but as I said... he's got the experience. He's got tons of great reviews on Ebay. I can't stop bragging about how awesome it feels to drive with this wheel. I feel like I'm driving a more aggressive, top of the line supercar. If only Neil E's paddle shifter project had worked out. Doubt it would have worked with the 2002 anyway since we don't have the sports/triptronic transmission. Too bad.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-27-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 11:36 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the new wheel Shawn, great idea, I hate how big the original wheel is
Old 04-28-17, 01:20 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ShawnOK
I must say that wheel looks great. you got my interest going big time.
I'm also Polish have family there. Mazurek

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-28-17 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: SC430 Steering Wheel Upgrade