LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I am afraid - power window issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 06:42 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs down I am afraid - power window issues

I have never understood how to stop the window after it decides to just go up or down. On my Lincoln the auto window is ONLY on the drivers window but on the LS it seems ALL the windows are AUTO. Thats ok, but on the Lincoln all I have to do is tap it in the other direction to stop it. That doesnt work on the LS and I usually go crazy with up down up down until it finally stops moving. I must be missing something?

A few hours ago I tried to put the drivers window up. Noting happened. After several tries I gave up, turned off the AC and opened another window. Then about 2 minutes later the window started up all by itself, got half way up and then turned back down 2 inches. I didnt touch the controls!!! All as if by magic. I then put it all the way up (it was now working) and now I am afraid to touch it for fear it will get stuck again and I will have an open window during a rain storm.

The above makes me think the windows are operated by computer, not direct wired and if the computer gets a bone in its craw there is nothing to do but wait till it resets itself. Is there no way to clear the multiple attempts to control the window without it going nuts, That was a spooky display of mindlessness.
Old 04-22-17, 07:39 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your window motor is going bad.
Old 04-22-17, 07:43 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind, a bad motor wouldn't cause it to raise by itself. Might be mpx computer in window
Old 04-22-17, 08:00 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by vadorade
Never mind, a bad motor wouldn't cause it to raise by itself. Might be mpx computer in window
I was thinking that with only 51K on the clock it would not seem likely the motor was worn out .....YET.

So, how hard is it to replace the mpx computer? How expensive, or is this a dealer only repair?
Old 04-22-17, 08:47 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Replacing the mpx is fairly easy. Just remove door panel and unscrew and unplug the mpx box. I got a used one off ebay. Don't remember how much, not too expensive. Just make sure the model number on the sticker on the box matches your box exactly.
Old 04-22-17, 08:50 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind, I thought my problem was the mpx but it ended up being a bad motor.
Old 04-23-17, 08:22 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by vadorade
Keep in mind, I thought my problem was the mpx but it ended up being a bad motor.
Right, but as it continues to work, but with a mind of its own, it appears the motor is still working. If it is a brush motor since I assume it runs from DC, it is probably easily repaired, sometimes with only sandpaper.

But is there a spec that needs tobe specified to get the correct mpx board...before I remove it and can look at the number on the board?
Old 04-23-17, 12:59 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Jim, have you tried operating the other windows using the switches located on their respective doors? Do all of the other windows operate in the same manner when operating them using the driver's control switch?

On my car, when I press the switch down about one half to three quarters the window will go down until I release the switch. If I push the button down all of the way the window will go down even after releasing the switch. Same thing while going up. In other words, It is a two position switch in both directions and it takes some getting used to in order to learn just how far to push the switch to make the window move without automatically going all of the way down or up...
Old 04-23-17, 03:30 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Jim, have you tried operating the other windows using the switches located on their respective doors? Do all of the other windows operate in the same manner when operating them using the driver's control switch?

On my car, when I press the switch down about one half to three quarters the window will go down until I release the switch. If I push the button down all of the way the window will go down even after releasing the switch. Same thing while going up. In other words, It is a two position switch in both directions and it takes some getting used to in order to learn just how far to push the switch to make the window move without automatically going all of the way down or up...
I will try it. Sounds like the solution as I didnt even think that it might be a two position switch. Thanks.
Old 04-23-17, 06:37 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Right, but as it continues to work, but with a mind of its own, it appears the motor is still working. If it is a brush motor since I assume it runs from DC, it is probably easily repaired, sometimes with only sandpaper.

But is there a spec that needs tobe specified to get the correct mpx board...before I remove it and can look at the number on the board?

no specific specs, there should be a white sticker on the mpx box with numbers on it. You can see it on the box when you remove the door panel.
Old 04-23-17, 08:37 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The detent for the first position on the switches is pretty non existent, so its a case of feel for it and learn where it starts to go.

I've got a different problem on the driver's window. When it gets colder (even at like 15 degrees C), the inside rubber likes to fold in on itself when the window goes down and cause serious friction on the window, thus causing it to go butt slow. I do have tints applied but none of the other windows do this. I don't want to lubricate the rubber as it'll leave schmoo on the window, but I'm buggered if I know how to fix it
Old 04-23-17, 08:59 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scootymad
The detent for the first position on the switches is pretty non existent, so its a case of feel for it and learn where it starts to go.

I've got a different problem on the driver's window. When it gets colder (even at like 15 degrees C), the inside rubber likes to fold in on itself when the window goes down and cause serious friction on the window, thus causing it to go butt slow. I do have tints applied but none of the other windows do this. I don't want to lubricate the rubber as it'll leave schmoo on the window, but I'm buggered if I know how to fix it
I also have tint on mine, put on by the dealer before sales. It was poorly done and will require redoing because both front windows are crinkling up at the mirror corner and I cant use the door mirrors..
Old 04-24-17, 08:08 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I must sat that after over 4 years I thought I knew it all. Thanks Gronemus for proving me wrong. now I know how to roll my window up and down without them going all the way up or down. I don't roll my windows down much, usually only at drive up windows, but today I was able to just crack my window a little bit on my drive home. makes me wonder what else I don't know.
Old 04-24-17, 08:25 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Yes, the two position switch suggested worked perfectly Thanks
Old 04-24-17, 08:36 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Yes, the two position switch suggested worked perfectly Thanks
The two position switch doesn't explain why your window would lower and raise by itself, but glad you got it figured out now.

Quick Reply: I am afraid - power window issues