Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Several Shock (Strut) Questions

Old 04-22-17, 04:06 PM
nikovdh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Several Shock (Strut) Questions

I have some general questions about shocks, but also some specific needs in terms of my model (1999 ES300 w/o Electronic Suspension) and the available options for it.
Enlightening me on some of this may totally change my required course of action.
Firstly, I desire to do my own shocks. I have never done them, but I have the service manual, and have watched and read many videos and posts, and I am up to the challenge. The quick strut options are not specific to Lexus (and KYB has no quick struts for my car), and I've seen many posts of disappointment, as well as issues like increased ride height only in the rear - causing an unsightly appearance. The appeal of quick struts is enticing, but I want to have the quality Lexus ride that I first bought the car for in the first place. The quick strut option had me thinking though....

- can I make my own OEM/KYB quick strut? If I had all new components of a shock absorber unit (KYB or OEM) INCLUDING brand new OEM coil springs... could I avoid having to use a spring compressor (seems scary..)? Will brand new components just slap on together (putting it together in front of me - not on the vehicle yet) without needing to compress the new spring?

With this same train of thought. Are the necessary components different if you're building around a KYB strut, rather than the OEM (although still KYB stamped).
KYB's catalog components for my car include:
Strut Boots/Bellows
Excel-G struts
Suspension Mount Kit
Coil Spring Insulators
Front Coil Spring Seat (No Rear Seat exists?)

while the OEM components include(based on component drawings from service manual):
Strut(shock)
lower insulator
spring bumper
upper insulator
upper seat
bearing
support&cap (could I re-use support/cap without having to compress my old shock springs since they're at the top?)

Unfortunately, putting together an all components-brand new OEM shock unit would cost like 350$ per corner, minus the support&cap since I'm hoping I could re-use those.

The speculation of components is getting a bit overwhelming at this point, since I'm not experienced with suspension knowledge.
My usual (and expensive) mechanic says if he did the work, he would just buy new boots and shocks OEM and re-use the old parts unless the mount also seemed bad... but of course, he wants to charge me tons of labor costs that I wish to avoid. I'd basically be able to put together a whole entire brand new unit for each corner for the same cost as him changing only 2 parts on each. Unless I had a good KYB route, which would be cheaper.

So all in all.. I'd love to have all brand new parts and avoid using a spring compressor. Please burst my bubble if you have knowledge that I don't know about, or any better ideas, or personal experiences with shocks on 97-01 ES300.
Attached Thumbnails Several Shock (Strut) Questions-front.jpg   Several Shock (Strut) Questions-rearlexusshock.jpg  
Old 04-23-17, 09:05 PM
nikovdh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I'm reading more about things.. I realize I'm gonna have to pucker up and carefully use some spring compressors, and just re-use my old springs.
Old 04-23-17, 10:52 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I have performed this task on all four corners of my ES300 (using spring compressors). When you remove the strut assembly, it comes out of the vehicle as one whole unit, springs intact still under pressure. Addressing the most dangerous aspect - spring compressors. An option I suggest is calling around to local shops, see which has a proper spring compression apparatus where you bring them the used strut assembly & your new parts and they will assemble them properly for a fee. This option eliminates you having to use spring compressors.

What symptoms does the car show that suggests the struts need replacing?

There are several in-depth posts on this subject located in the ES forum.

Last edited by fortitude; 04-23-17 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-24-17, 06:44 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have replaced struts on my 97 ES300. You will need a spring compressor. You might also need an impact wrench to remove that stubborn nut at the top of the strut mount.
Be safe.
Old 04-24-17, 08:18 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

My actual experience - I am 1 year in on my KYB's. My left rear started weeping a month ago....... The ride mellowed through time but not to the comfort level I want on my Lexus. At the time, new OEM struts (all 4 in total ) where +$300 over the KYB's. Going OEM would have been less than $1 per day more for the past year's use .. In the end, I still need to address my left rear failing strut........

Here are several threads on struts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...placement.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-confused.html

Last edited by fortitude; 04-24-17 at 12:17 PM.