2006 SC 430, PPI Results, Feedback Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 11:34 PM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 SC 430, PPI Results, Feedback Please

Hi Gang,
I just received the information back from my pre-purchased inspection from the Lexus dealership regarding my 2006 SC430; 114k miles for 12,995.
Is this a good price?
Please Provide your expert feedback regarding this vehicle, and the PPI, All inquiries will be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance. From my research and spending ample time on this amazing forum, I feel this is a good price and a sound vehicle. Please provide me your feedback.
With gratitude,
Linda

Lexus will email me the PPI record tomorrow and I will upload it for your viewing pleasure. But this is what I was told over the phone.

SC 430 Pros:
  • Engine is clean, no leaks, pipes and belts are in good shape.
  • Transmission no leaks, also appears to be in good shape during the test run.
  • Steering wheel and suspension in good shape.
  • AC and heater, working and in good shape.
  • Radio and Soundsystem working in in good shape.
  • Bluetooth navigational system working and in good shape
  • Convertible top tested (several times) working and in good shape.
  • Computer scan shows no past history of issues
  • For brand-new Michelin tires
  • No Body damage or suspension issues, bushings, arms, shocks and springs are all in great condition.
  • "Interior, and paint are in good condition considering the age"
Cons:
  • No Lexus service history record on this vehicle ??? However, the technician says it appears that it's been serviced, because of the good condition the operating components of the vehicle are in.
  • Computer is currently showing two codes malfunctioning: the Front two tire sensor TPM *** I read the threads about disabling TPM's...however, because it's the 2006 SC430, I doubt if I'm able to do the disconnect with success ??? If this is correct, it appears I'll have to bite the bullet and pay $600 to have this issue fixed. :
  • Brake pads are new (however not Lexus break pads) They recommend Lexus pads & turning the rotors for my next break job. ( no biggie).
  • Parking light out, bulb cost is inexpensive, however installation is difficult and costly (so I've been told).
  • The oil pan plug has been modified; an after market Valve System for easier oil changes has been installed. Get this... because it's been modified, instead of re-placing back the Lexus oil drain plug, (they cannot touch anything modified), they're recommending a new oil pan at the cost of $1,300! When I asked him if the oil pan is in good condition, he said it's perfect it just has this aftermarket valve release system placed on it.
  • One of the four rims are slightly bent however, not a safety or a tire issue.
  • The rear bumper has a small scruff and the repair paint job is less than desirable. (An easy enough fix).

Last edited by LindaSC430; 04-20-17 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Hello Ms. Linda:

• No Lexus service history record on this vehicle ??? However, the technician says it appears that it's been serviced, because of the good condition the operating components of the vehicle are in.

------> Lexus will have a service history on this car. Give me the VIN and I can do a check for you.

• Computer is currently showing two codes malfunctioning: the Front two tire sensor TPM *** I read the threads about disabling TPM's...however, because it's the 2006 SC430,I doubt if I'm able to do the disconnect with success ??? If this is correct, it appears I'll have to bite the bullet and pay $600 to have this issue fixed. :

------> This is a minor issue, yes you can disable the TPMS on this year model.

• Brake pads are new (however not Lexus break pads) They recommend Lexus pads & turning the rotors for my next break job. ( no biggie).

• Parking light out, bulb cost is inexpensive, however installation is difficult and costly (so I've been told).

• The oil pan plug has been modified; an after market Valve System for easier oil changes has been installed. Get this... because it's been modified, instead of re-placing back the Lexus oil drain plug, (they cannot touch anything modified), they're recommending a new oil pan at the cost of $1,300! When I asked him if the oil pan is in good condition, he said it's perfect it just has this aftermarket valve release system placed on it.

-------> This is a minor concern, no need for a replacement oil pan.

• One of the four rims are slightly bent however, not a safety or a tire issue.

------> As long as there is no shimmy or wiggle, you might be OK.

• The rear bumper has a small scruff and the repair paint job is less than desirable. (An easy enough fix).
Old 04-21-17, 05:30 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I think this is a great deal! My 2002 SC430 I purchased last week, 105k, total cost with shipping from Florida was $11,800. There is a 2006 SC430 listed here in Raleigh, 98k miles for $15,500. So a 2006 with 114k for $12,995 is a fair deal. Plus, you can always sell it for more than you bought it for if you change your mind. But I don't think you will

Just a little background, the reason I purchased my 2002 SC430 was the reliability of my 1999 GS400 (which has an earlier version of the same V8 motor) and currently has 225,000 miles. Needless to say this car has been utterly reliable, save for wear and tear items, and still runs like new. With proper maintenance you will have many, many years of enjoyment out of this car!!
The following users liked this post:
LindaSC430 (04-21-17)
Old 04-21-17, 06:35 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Linda, I don't see any show-stoppers in your list. The TPMS is pretty lame in the SCs (tells you if a tire is low, but not which one). I had it disabled in my last SC (a 2002), and my independent shop didn't even charge me for disabling it while they were doing other servicing (so it must be pretty simple). You could always try to get the seller to foot part of the bill for the TPMS problem if you want to have it fixed. Lexus brake pads don't have a great reputation, so aftermarket pads wouldn't bother me at all. I would definitely look at replacing the bent rim if you can feel any vibration/wobbling -- I had a bent rim on my 2002 and it drove me crazy.

It does look like the front headlight covers are pretty cloudy, but they can be refinished/cleared up fairly inexpensively.

Overall, a great deal on a car that will run for a long time without a problem, in all likelihood! Go for it!
LindaSC430 (04-21-17)
Old 04-21-17, 07:56 AM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mandyfig,
Here is the vin # JTFN48Y069008373, ON Lexus.com I only found two records.... The initial delivery of the vehicle inspection, and a passenger side mirror issue in 2008. Good luck, I hope you're more successful and thank you for offering your time, and input.
Old 04-21-17, 08:02 AM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

TPM removal Components

BTW... Mandyfig, so I can Disable the TPMS using the post tread and photos on my 2006? Is it the same configuration and components to turn off the alarm and the light on my 2006? (it seems simple enough) !

Last edited by LindaSC430; 04-21-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 09:34 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If the dash is not showing the TPMS fault why bother. If TPMS is flashing red on the dashboard then you may want to go thru the trouble of disabling it. By the way the picture you show above is for a left side driving car. In either case I suggest get an aftermarket kit like
these these
and it tells you tire pressure all the time and you can set threshold too. Considering SC does not have a spare it would be very useful.
LindaSC430 (04-21-17)
Old 04-21-17, 10:08 AM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

Here is the PPI report

PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS IN FACT A RECALL FOR THIS VEHICLE BUT WE DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE PARTS AVAILABLE FOR IT.

Penske Automotive Group and its affiliates will never sell or rent your email address in violation of applicable laws. To Opt-Out of future communications or to manage your information with us, click http://optout.penskeautomotive.com and inform us of the opt-out or change. Alternatively, you may send your written request to:

Penske Automotive Group
E-Commerce Department
2555 Telegraph Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please delete all copies if you are not the intended recipient.

[img]cid:6D27E6C4-D2E3-4017-8C65-45856A890380[/img]
Old 04-21-17, 10:40 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Think you should get this vehicle Linda. Some cars are serviced mostly by independent mechanics ( little recorded Lexus history) then when a Lexus tech inspects it it gets a top rating. But service history may all be paper receipts and not from Lexus. Mine is like that. Most regular service I get done at an independent mechanic. All the issues mentioned are minor problems. See if the airbag recall has been done. That is real important. Could save your passengers life in a collision.
Old 04-21-17, 11:12 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Think you should get this vehicle Linda. Some cars are serviced mostly by independent mechanics ( little recorded Lexus history) then when a Lexus tech inspects it it gets a top rating. But service history may all be paper receipts and not from Lexus. Mine is like that. Most regular service I get done at an independent mechanic. All the issues mentioned are minor problems. See if the airbag recall has been done. That is real important. Could save your passengers life in a collision.
If the airbag recall is not done, buyer can still get it done?
Old 04-21-17, 11:18 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If its a factory recall it follows the vehicle not the owner, so it still can be done.
Old 04-21-17, 11:20 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
If the airbag recall is not done, buyer can still get it done?
Yes! The Lexus dealer will replace the passenger air bag at no cost to the owner. They will even fill your gas tank with free gas (so drop it off on empty) as part of the recall. Parts are fairly available for this repair now, so I wouldn't let the recall bother me at all on this car.
Old 04-21-17, 09:29 PM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

2006 SC430 Update
Thanks for all of the post and the encouraging comments to buy this 2006 SC430, Off to San Diego tomorrow to pick her up!
I can not thank you guys enough... from reading the numerous threads about the SC 430, I found out if a timing belt was changed they usually will place a sticker under the hood, with the miles when it was changed. I asked the Lexus dealer if he could tell if the timing belt and water pump was changed, he told me their is no way of telling without a service record. I told him about the sticker under the hood, he said he never heard of this, but would go look for me. When he called me back, he offered me a job! Sure enough, a sticker; the timing belt was changed at 83K and the sticker had a service phone # on it. I called the number and the car was meticulously serviced & maintain: One female owner, who pampered her baby!

BTW: The dealer paid for the TPMs to be repaired! I was going to offer to pay 1/2, but than I thought what the hell, it can't hurt asking for him to foot the total bill, sure enough, he is covering all of the cost $600 Yea!

Now for the Air Bag Recall, parts are on backorder I have to order and get on a waiting list. Thanks Rinkchar for the Gas Tank Fill-up Tip, I'll be driving it in on fumes

Last edited by LindaSC430; 04-21-17 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 11:20 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Congratulation Linda for getting the 06+. You will enjoy the SC especially when it's top-down. I do.

Things you should do in the future are replacing all interior lights, including the ones inside the trunk, with LEDs lighting. I also replaced the door entry light with shadow LEDs, it looks great at night. The other thing you also should be done is installing the back up camera. It's the must.
Old 04-21-17, 11:26 PM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Congratulation Linda for getting the 06+. You will enjoy the SC especially when it's top-down. I do.

Things you should do in the future are replacing all interior lights, including the ones inside the trunk, with LEDs lighting. I also replaced the door entry light with shadow LEDs, it looks great at night. The other thing you also should be done is installing the back up camera. It's the must.
Thanks , do you have a link for the LED lighting bulbs? and where do you place the backup camera screen? Rearview mirror? Thanks I can't wait to go see her and pick her up!

Quick Reply: 2006 SC 430, PPI Results, Feedback Please