IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cut out (or exhaust valves) on stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 05:34 AM
Guedzou
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cut out (or exhaust valves) on stock exhaust

Hello everyone! I am writing from France and I will very soon be the owner of a lexus isf in replacement of my ma honda s2000. The first thing I plan to improve is the sound of the exhaust.
Have some of you already installed exhaust valves on an original exhaust? Something like this video :

My idea of ​​fitting the exhaust valves
Old 04-17-17, 07:00 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I would put them further up the pipes, behind the secondary O2 sensors somewhere. I don't know what the stock pipe looks like there though, so it may be tough.
Old 04-17-17, 08:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

That crush in the stock "Y" pipe is restrictive. That's the first thing I would get rid of.

Lou
Old 07-24-17, 02:10 AM
Guedzou
Driver School Candidate

New mod: I wanted a more beautiful exhaust soud without spending too much money in a complete exhaust system. I bought a QTP qtec33 cutout in the USA that I have welded on my stock exhaust. I activate the opening and closing with a switch. I'm very satisfied with the soud.

Last edited by Guedzou; 07-24-17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 11:42 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now cut right after that and redo the pipe with REAL pipe and mufflers and open it up
Old 07-24-17, 01:49 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
I've been looking at the QTP cutouts as well. What wiring route did you take? Also, where did you draw the power from?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-17, 01:59 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Etienne. It's after the resonator, so no drone. And a single unit simplifies installation & reduces cost.

Nothin' like that great V8 sound.
Old 07-24-17, 02:24 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I am seriously considering this as well. After going through all the trouble of having a 3 inch exhaust on my last vehicle with the turbo, and then spending more time and money afterwards trying to figure out a way to quiet it down, this seems like the perfect solution. Cheap, and a full 3 inch exhaust at the push of a switch. Only issue back then was the quality wasn't the best, but maybe they have their kinks worked out.
Old 07-25-17, 06:18 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

I have to disagree with a few points there.
1. There is enough airflow to move the gasses out pretty quickly under the car. I've never seen issues of undercoating catching fire. it's not exactly aimed up at the undercoating either.
2. The cutout would be behind the transmission where it's at so heating the transmission wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-25-17, 07:46 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitabel
WYKP?
1. The vehicle will certainly fail inspection (in NY) if the inspector sees it and understands what it is - a release of toxic gas into the cabin. Rebuttal (if true): it's fail-safe, and is only open (and dangerous) when voltage is applied.
2. What do you think releasing hot exhaust on to the transmission or differential case does to the fluid temperature? Sustained use will set fire to undercoating, rubber donuts, etc.
3. I agree, that "Y" looks restrictive.

Route it back to after the bumper or you'll be breathing it.
Not everyone lives in a place where they inspect under the vehicle, I'm not even sure a place as strict as california does that. Even at that if you are seriously worried about that just weld a pipe dumping if further downstream or straight down. The idea behind this isn't for sustained use, if that was the case then you'd just run an aftermarket exhaust, the idea behind this is to open the dump when needed without having to get under the car or swapping exhausts. Again though, I'd be opening this only for WOT runs, and at that throttle position exhaust isn't going to be sitting under the vehicle for long.

Not saying this is the perfect solution, rather just another option.
Old 07-25-17, 05:00 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

WYKP?
1. The vehicle will certainly fail inspection (in NY) if the inspector sees it and understands what it is - a release of toxic gas into the cabin. Rebuttal (if true): it's fail-safe, and is only open (and dangerous) when voltage is applied.
2. What do you think releasing hot exhaust on to the transmission or differential case does to the fluid temperature? Sustained use will set fire to undercoating, rubber donuts, etc.
3. I agree, that "Y" looks restrictive.

Route it back to after the bumper or you'll be breathing it.
They don't inspect under the vehicle.
Works better if you actually read what I wrote.
​​​​​
Ok sure, I'm confused how is an inspector going to see this exhaust cutout if they're not looking under the vehicle? or are you worried that they'll see the switch? Also still not seeing how this would be consider releasing "toxic" gases into the cabin.

This cut outs do not all have a spring that allows a fail safe. The motor opens the plate and then the motor reverses to close the plate. It's possible for it to fail close or fail open if the motor fails.

Last edited by ultimase; 07-25-17 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 08:51 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Its funny that he says any good exhaust shop in the video and the flanges are leaking
Old 08-05-17, 12:49 PM
Guedzou
Driver School Candidate

My video with the cutout :

The following users liked this post:
ultimase (08-06-17)
Old 08-07-17, 06:01 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

I can dig this