GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HID bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 12:47 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Default HID bulb replacement

I recently got some Osram CBI bulbs and I want to install them. I emailed my dealer and they quoted me $175 per side! And that's only if the bulb is a direct replacement and doesn't require a harness. I'm not sure what the hell the advisor was talking about a "harness." Any who, does anybody have the instructions on how to replace the bulbs? I was cleaning my engine bay today and it looks like the bulbs might be able to be replaced from the the top of the engine instead from under like some people have mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails HID bulb replacement-backofbulb.jpg  
Old 04-08-17, 05:24 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Passenger side you change from the top side. Driver side, I highly recommend going from the wheel well. There is a small cover there held by two screws that you can access by turning your wheel all the way to the right.

On both sides, there is a silver metal cap and it has two metal tabs on it that you can use to apply pressure to turn the cover off. You can remove the harness after removing the metal cap.

The bulb is locked in by a metal clip that you push in towards the bulb to release. Then the bulb should come straight out. This is a little tricky as you are doing this blind. Note the position of the old bulb and install the new one in the same fashion. The bulb only goes in completely in a certain position. Push the metal clip back in to lock the bulb. It should not be loose if you've locked it in properly.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (04-08-17)
Old 04-10-17, 07:26 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by er34
Passenger side you change from the top side. Driver side, I highly recommend going from the wheel well. There is a small cover there held by two screws that you can access by turning your wheel all the way to the right.

On both sides, there is a silver metal cap and it has two metal tabs on it that you can use to apply pressure to turn the cover off. You can remove the harness after removing the metal cap.

The bulb is locked in by a metal clip that you push in towards the bulb to release. Then the bulb should come straight out. This is a little tricky as you are doing this blind. Note the position of the old bulb and install the new one in the same fashion. The bulb only goes in completely in a certain position. Push the metal clip back in to lock the bulb. It should not be loose if you've locked it in properly.
Thanks for the tips. Did you disconnect the battery?
Old 04-10-17, 07:36 AM
er34
Instructor

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
Thanks for the tips. Did you disconnect the battery?
I did not, but I made sure the headlight switch is in the off position, and that the HIDs haven't been turned on for over a day.

Also, don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers, wear clean, thin gloves(nitrite or latex).
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 07:43 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by er34
I did not, but I made sure the headlight switch is in the off position, and that the HIDs haven't been turned on for over a day.

Also, don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers, wear clean, thin gloves(nitrite or latex).
I'll have to remember to turn the headlight switch to the off position since I always have it on auto.
I was thinking of disconnecting the battery just as a precaution but I don't even know if our cars have a like stereo security code like my old Honda's did.
Old 04-10-17, 10:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U don't have to disconnect the battery to replace HID bulbs, just turn off the light and let it cool off so that it won't burn ur skin and don't touch the bulbs.

And there is no security code if u disconnect the battery.
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 11:14 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U don't have to disconnect the battery to replace HID bulbs, just turn off the light and let it cool off so that it won't burn ur skin and don't touch the bulbs.

And there is no security code if u disconnect the battery.
Awesome! Thanks for the information.
Old 04-10-17, 11:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I recently got some Osram CBI bulbs and I want to install them. I emailed my dealer and they quoted me $175 per side! And that's only if the bulb is a direct replacement and doesn't require a harness. I'm not sure what the hell the advisor was talking about a "harness." Any who, does anybody have the instructions on how to replace the bulbs? I was cleaning my engine bay today and it looks like the bulbs might be able to be replaced from the the top of the engine instead from under like some people have mentioned.
Attached are the instructions from the Lexus Shop Manual. It's a bit tricky and tight to get your had in there, but doable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
headlight bulb removal.pdf (274.3 KB, 337 views)
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 11:33 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
Attached are the instructions from the Lexus Shop Manual. It's a bit tricky and tight to get your had in there, but doable.
Thanks for the PDF! Seems easy enough. I'm just not clear about the steps 6 & 7.
Old 04-10-17, 11:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the PDF! Seems easy enough. I'm just not clear about the steps 6 & 7.
I changed the bulb a few weeks ago. 6 and 7 are irrelevant to just changing the bulb out.
Just follow 1-5 and the reverse order to put the new one back in.

On the drivers side the access to the bulb is through a door in the wheel liner. Just cut the wheel all the way over to one side. Remove the two bolts and remove the access door to get to the back of the bulb.

It's a tight fit to get your hand in there on both sides, that's what makes the swap a bit difficult.

Last edited by peasodos; 04-10-17 at 11:42 AM.
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 11:39 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

I changed the bulb a few weeks ago. 6 and 7 are irrelevant to just changing the bulb out.
Just follow 1-5 and the reverse order to put the new one back in
That's what I figured.
Old 04-10-17, 12:10 PM
er34
Instructor

For step 3, I recommend removing the subassembly before disconnecting the connector. Especially for the passenger side, the connector is on the "inside" and makes it very difficult to remove. The connector does not prevent the subassembly from being removed. In other words, do (3b) before (3a).
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 07:34 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Well I've failed at replacing the bulbs ��
I couldn't take off the bulb retaining clip on the passager side. I didn't even try to do the driver side. Now i noticed that my kigjts didn't go up and dowm like they normally did after turning on. Did i ness up something?��
Old 04-10-17, 07:39 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Well I've failed at replacing the bulbs ��
I couldn't take off the bulb retaining clip on the passager side. I didn't even try to do the driver side. Now i noticed that my kigjts didn't go up and dowm like they normally did after turning on. Did i ness up something?��
Look at the arrows in the pdf instructions I attached before(picture next to figure 5)
pinch it inward, pull it, and it will unhook outward/flip down.

If you move that clip like the arrows in the picture it will come out easy.

No you didn't mess up anything, maybe the clip is partially unhooked or something.
LatinLS430 (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 09:41 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Look at the arrows in the pdf instructions I attached before(picture next to figure 5)
pinch it inward, pull it, and it will unhook outward/flip down.

If you move that clip like the arrows in the picture it will come out easy.

No you didn't mess up anything, maybe the clip is partially unhooked or something.
I'm going to try it tomorrow or this weekend again. My lights went up and down after I went to the gym and the car sat for some time.

How did you guys manage to get the cover off from the driver side ? There's barely any room there! That plug for the cap is also on there pretty good. I couldn't get it off from the driver side.

I might as well just take off the bumper and the headlights so I can have complete access to the back of the lights haha. Do you happen to have a PDF for the headlight removal? It'll give me a chance to clean up behind the bumper and clean the leafs that are stuck by the radiator
Attached Thumbnails HID bulb replacement-fenderpanel.jpg  

Quick Reply: HID bulb replacement