GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Annoying tick/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-17, 04:09 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Annoying tick/rattle

I have a tick left of the steering wheel around the vent area. I had the dealer remove the trim piece below the vent and pad it but the tick is still there. I also pulled the end cover (between door and dash) off and put felt there. It is not constant and not temperature dependent. I hear it mainly on the highway at highway speeds.

Has anyone else experienced this? I saw on a YouTube video a guy recently had this solved when the dealer figured out it was the vent tube in the dash hitting another part of the dash.
I will be back at the dealer for my 5k service soon and will have them look at it again but if I can fix it before, I’m ok to do so. I’d rather be the one taking things apart than someone else as I’m sure you all can relate.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Old 04-05-17, 05:13 AM
nickkaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe, I experience it as well. Not as annoying as a sunroof rattle my dealer had fixed during my 5K service, but still bothers me constantly. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 04-05-17, 09:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I encourage you to consider other areas as the source of the noise you are hearing.

I had a very slight hum type vibration sound at very low speeds, which sounded like it was coming from the very center of the dash around the clock or center vents or console. Over a period of a few weeks I never could figure out the source of the slight, yet irritating, noise. Then one day while I was hearing the slight hum vibration noise I touched my rear view mirror housing to push one of the remote buttons to open the entrance gate to my neighborhood. That was it - the noise stopped! I found that the lower right-hand corner of the mirror was barely touching the inside of the mirror housing, which was a perfect scenario for the tiniest little vibration noise that was only heard at very slow speeds. Just me squeezing the mirror housing with my hand was enough to stop the hum vibration...and I haven't heard it since.
Old 04-05-17, 10:38 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I heard the same thing on my F-sport. Going to have them address it at my 5K mile service. I think it's coming from the same spot you mentioned. If I press on the trim, the noise stops. But, mine doesn't do it consistently, especially as it warms up now. It seems more apparent during cold mornings.
Old 04-05-17, 10:41 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I encourage you to consider other areas as the source of the noise you are hearing.

I had a very slight hum type vibration sound at very low speeds, which sounded like it was coming from the very center of the dash around the clock or center vents or console. Over a period of a few weeks I never could figure out the source of the slight, yet irritating, noise. Then one day while I was hearing the slight hum vibration noise I touched my rear view mirror housing to push one of the remote buttons to open the entrance gate to my neighborhood. That was it - the noise stopped! I found that the lower right-hand corner of the mirror was barely touching the inside of the mirror housing, which was a perfect scenario for the tiniest little vibration noise that was only heard at very slow speeds. Just me squeezing the mirror housing with my hand was enough to stop the hum vibration...and I haven't heard it since.
I totally agree as that happened in another car I had - noise wasn't where I thought it was. I will have to say though for this one, I've listened very closely and applied pressure in the areas where the tick is coming from which has helped. I even took the lower hush panel off and wrapped a few things there that I thought might be the culprit. I won't give up and will eventually find it..........just annoying as heck until I do.
Old 04-05-17, 03:54 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Does anyone know how to remove the "box" below" Does it "pop" out? I'd like to see what's behind this as well as the connector.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying tick/rattle-gs.jpg  
Old 05-21-17, 02:22 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

I figured out if I apply a little downward pressure to the bottom of the vent, the tick goes away when going over seams/joints on the highway. The arrows are where I apply gentle pressure. Anyone know who to remove this? Is this and the trim piece below it all one piece?

Old 05-22-17, 07:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

That left wood/aluminum trim piece is separate from the vent entirely. It can be removed and is held on with just clips. When you open the drivers door, there is a panel to the left of the vent/trim that needs to be removed first. I know on the pre-refresh model, the instructions that came with the illuminated sills recommended removing the trim below the vent:

2013-15 Trim:

2016+ Trim Removal:

Old 06-27-17, 02:59 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

After 3 trips to dealer, I figured it was time for me to see if I could make the tick go away. I added some felt around the A pillar where if meets the dash to apply some downward pressure on vent and that's take care of my tick. Fingers crossed it will be permanent.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying tick/rattle-vent.jpg  
Old 09-10-17, 11:22 PM
SalmonDave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was funny to see your post tonight because I was working on the exact same problem today! Like you, if I apply downward pressure to the bottom of the vent (where your yellow arrows point), the noise stops. The noise only occurs while highway driving on uneven roads. I think you're applying pressure to the bottom louver of the vent. My 2013 GS350 has just enough rattles to significantly reduce most all of my driving pleasure, and the dealer (Lexus of Bellvue, WA) was zero help. Now my car's out of warranty. I will repost if I find a solution.
Old 09-11-17, 01:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SalmonDave
It was funny to see your post tonight because I was working on the exact same problem today! Like you, if I apply downward pressure to the bottom of the vent (where your yellow arrows point), the noise stops. The noise only occurs while highway driving on uneven roads. I think you're applying pressure to the bottom louver of the vent. My 2013 GS350 has just enough rattles to significantly reduce most all of my driving pleasure, and the dealer (Lexus of Bellvue, WA) was zero help. Now my car's out of warranty. I will repost if I find a solution.
I've gotten rid of all the ticks in my car with felt. To find any potential problem areas I just push with my finger, if it makes a noise it needs felt. 90% of the time it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal.

Here are all the areas I fixed:
The seat belt adjustment in the b pillars
The plastic trim around the 12.3 inch display
The leather bolsters around the front center console
The front center cupholder
The armrest for the nav control
The front center armrest.
The tray in the rear fold down armrest.
The drivers door controls

Now I have absolutely no ticks or rattles.

I've also added sound deadner in the doors, trunk. Also closed cell foam in the doors, under the rear seats, under the carpet.
Sound deadner and waterproof closed cell foam in the wheel wells.
Also ditched the bridgestones for Peralli P7 All Season Plus.

Car is quieter than stock and the bass response from the mark levinson sound system has improved. I also have the 450h so there is hardly any significant motor noise(unless I really push it) and nearly dead silent at low speeds in ev mode.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (05-01-18)
Old 09-11-17, 06:27 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

I am happy to report that adding the felt where the green arrow points has solved my issue by putting enough downward pressure in that area to silence the tick.

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
After 3 trips to dealer, I figured it was time for me to see if I could make the tick go away. I added some felt around the A pillar where if meets the dash to apply some downward pressure on vent and that's take care of my tick. Fingers crossed it will be permanent.

Old 09-11-17, 08:44 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would not be terribly concerned about a ticking sound unless it is followed by a loud "boom!"
Old 10-30-17, 08:18 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Still working on tracking this down and taking care of it for good. I removed some of the trim around the vent and may pull the vent register later this week. I'll drive it for a week or two while I try to figure out the source of the noise.

Question for you good folks...........where can I get felt to use to wrap things or add padding? Would you go to a fabric store or hobby store?

THANKS
Old 10-30-17, 08:59 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I've gotten rid of all the ticks in my car with felt. To find any potential problem areas I just push with my finger, if it makes a noise it needs felt. 90% of the time it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal.

Here are all the areas I fixed:
The seat belt adjustment in the b pillars
The plastic trim around the 12.3 inch display
The leather bolsters around the front center console
The front center cupholder
The armrest for the nav control
The front center armrest.
The tray in the rear fold down armrest.
The drivers door controls

Now I have absolutely no ticks or rattles.

I've also added sound deadner in the doors, trunk. Also closed cell foam in the doors, under the rear seats, under the carpet.
Sound deadner and waterproof closed cell foam in the wheel wells.
Also ditched the bridgestones for Peralli P7 All Season Plus.

Car is quieter than stock and the bass response from the mark levinson sound system has improved. I also have the 450h so there is hardly any significant motor noise(unless I really push it) and nearly dead silent at low speeds in ev mode.
You are about as OCD as I am hahah. Also sounds like your car had as many rattles as mine currently does... actually you may have had more. I would love to see some pictures of the areas you added felt, and where exactly you added felt, if you have any pictures. I think the vent on the passenger side of my dash is making the same ticking as mentioned in this post, and I think I also have a rattle in the B pillar, maybe from the seat belt adjuster as you mentioned. Annoying that these cars have so many rattles and ticks, it's a 60k car, and the road noise is pretty quiet in the cabin, so these rattles are even more obvious.

Also interested in what kind of felt you guys are using. Is it just regular felt, or is there adhesive on one side so that you can stick it to things?

Quick Reply: Annoying tick/rattle