IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

o upgrade, or not to upgrade. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 11:20 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default o upgrade, or not to upgrade. That is the question.

So, i am just gagging to drop a LSD into my 09 ISF, its the one thing i really want to have in this car.. I have done a few bits and bobs to it over time and am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. So much so that i am contemplating trading in the 09 for a 13, same colour paint and interior. The whole upgrade could potentially be done with the same loan, albeit on a new loan period. So basically same payments but refresh the loan.

My 09 has the following upgrades / mods:
  • RR Racing USRS bushes (amazing steering feel)
  • RR Racing Air Oil Separator
  • HPS intake tube black silicone
  • Bilstein B6 shocks (huge difference in comfort, though not as good as 12-13 onward cars)
  • X-Force cat back
  • Widened primaries after cats on factory headers
  • Autowerks ECU tune
  • 2011 Steering ECU upgrade (better mod than you would think, big difference)
  • Credit card key bought from the states
All in all, the only thing i really would froth over on the new car are:
  • Better suspension
  • LSD Diff
  • Bluetooth streaming for music
I would probably get someone to switch all of my goodies onto the new car, i certainly wont trade them in. So there may be a chance of a part out who knows. I would probably want my mods on the new car, especially the exhaust, USRS, intake tune and get it retuned. Tuning is the best thing i have done to that car.

Let me know your opinions, because the other side is a drop a diff into mine for $3k and be done with it. I have maintained my car very well and its trouble free, around 90kms.
Old 03-29-17, 11:32 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey.

If it was my choice, I'd go with the trade-in option and swap out your mods.

May as well get a fresher car with all the toys as a base, that way you can continue adding things to a younger car that will have less mileage.

If you had done a load of body, interior, performance mods to your 09, I'd say just get the diff changed, but sounds like your mods can probably be swapped out in a day, so not an issue.

It's ultimately your choice, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.

Best of luck whatever you decide mate.
The following users liked this post:
willstroo (03-30-17)
Old 03-30-17, 01:19 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would upgrade to the newer one and take the time to swap your mods over, not like its supercharged or has headers on it. I considered upgrading to a 12+ with the updated suspension when I traded mine as well, I might be the minority but I like the peace of mind that comes with a newer car, well worth the extra spent.
The following users liked this post:
willstroo (03-30-17)
Old 03-30-17, 02:56 AM
willstroo
Driver

Well in the price bracket ill be looking at, it will either be a 12 with 60-80k or a 13 with 100+k. So it wont really be about getting a lower mileage / km car, its more about the updated features / benefits of the newer car.

My mind is telling me nooo.. BUT MY BODY, MY BOODDDDY'S TELLING ME YEEEAAAASSSS!!! Haha, I do like the idea of having a fresher car, but there is zero things wrong with my current ISF.

It speaks volumes for these cars that i would consider getting out of one car into almost exactly the same car when you look at the alternatives in the market. I can buy some unreal cars for the money, but the PACKAGE that is ISF, unbeatable.
Old 03-30-17, 03:59 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey mate, US forums more active than the Oz ones lol. Id definitely wait it out. Ive had mine 08 for 1.5 yrs now and same yr/kms etc is about 9k less than what i paid for it. I think in the US price gap not as bad but we get stung in Oz. I mean a 08 low to average kms is about 40k but a 12-13 with low kms is about 60k. You could do plenty with 20k. That would easily cover a LSD, some body mods, great suspension and this thread might address your bluetooth issues https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...it-how-to.html

After the initial excitement of a newer car, i think you'll be behind the wheel, having as much fun as your current one but not 20k more fun. Now upgrading to a GSF etc (i know they are alot more) but that would feel like a better upgrade. There is so much differences to see where your money is going but not going up a few yrs.

Wait it out if you can, the price gap is getting smaller. i.e. When i got my 08 it was about 50k. A 2013 at the time was still going for just over 90k and 2012 mid 80's so a big difference. With so many other models including the Lexus range coming into play, i wouldnt be at all surprised if the price difference to upgrade 4-5 yrs newer would be less than 20k difference if you dont kill yours with km's (turning off potential buyers).

Like you said, you got a zero fault ISF at the moment, enjoy it. Just dont think a 2012-13 will be that fresh as its still 4 yrs old. Id love a GSF but ill just have to wait for the depreciation to kick in for someone else lol. Then again, same yr car as mine, id love a R35 but thats another story.
Old 03-30-17, 06:35 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

FYI, there are currently two sellers on the CL 2IS classifieds that are selling their IS-F Torsen LSD if you're interested.
Old 03-30-17, 10:57 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

If you're having fun with the car & it has been good to you, I say keep it and upgrade. You'll save money. Also, trading in something that works for what's basically its equal always bodes bad luck in my book.
Old 03-30-17, 11:49 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it. Thats a big drop in $$$ just so you can have a ISF with a stock LSD. Is bluetooth streaming and a STOCK suspension worth trading up? The +11 ISF stock suspension is better, but seriously, were you actually planning to keep the suspension stock?

As some have stated, the stock LSD isn't even that great. Sure, great over an 08-09 non-LSD ISF. But as many on here who have gone aftermarket LSD, it is night and day difference comparing stock LSD vs aftermarket LSD.

That said, I would rather drop that extra cash in to an aftermarket LSD and coilovers. Youll have a better ISF performance wise, rather than getting a newer ISF with STOCK LSD and STOCK suspension. As well as save the hassle of swapping parts and selling your other ISF.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 03-30-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 11:55 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Don't do it. Thats a big drop in $$$ just so you can have a ISF with a stock LSD. Is bluetooth streaming and a STOCK suspension worth trading up? The +11 ISF stock suspension is better, but seriously, were you actually planning to keep the suspension stock?

As some have stated, the stock LSD isn't even that great. Sure, great over an 08-09 non-LSD ISF. But as many on here who have gone aftermarket LSD, it is night and day difference comparing stock LSD vs aftermarket LSD.

That said, I would rather drop that extra cash in to an aftermarket LSD and coilovers. Youll have a better ISF performance wise, rather than getting a newer ISF with STOCK LSD and STOCK suspension. As well as save the hassle of swapping parts and selling your other ISF.
Actually, if he hasn't done the valley plate and water pump fixes already, the 2012 is a better option. You're much less likely to experience those issues and they aren't cheap by any means.
Old 03-30-17, 01:56 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Surprised to hear about the B6 Bilsteins. You don't hear very many people upgrading just the struts. Hell there's even damper adjustable Tokico Red's available and don't think a single person on here has them. Curious how much better they are over stock with swift lowering springs that are so common.
Old 03-30-17, 02:37 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
FYI, there are currently two sellers on the CL 2IS classifieds that are selling their IS-F Torsen LSD if you're interested.
I have contacted them, but shipping will kill me to Australia im sure..

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Hey mate, US forums more active than the Oz ones lol. Id definitely wait it out. Ive had mine 08 for 1.5 yrs now and same yr/kms etc is about 9k less than what i paid for it. I think in the US price gap not as bad but we get stung in Oz. I mean a 08 low to average kms is about 40k but a 12-13 with low kms is about 60k. You could do plenty with 20k. That would easily cover a LSD, some body mods, great suspension and this thread might address your bluetooth issues https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...it-how-to.html

After the initial excitement of a newer car, i think you'll be behind the wheel, having as much fun as your current one but not 20k more fun. Now upgrading to a GSF etc (i know they are alot more) but that would feel like a better upgrade. There is so much differences to see where your money is going but not going up a few yrs.

Wait it out if you can, the price gap is getting smaller. i.e. When i got my 08 it was about 50k. A 2013 at the time was still going for just over 90k and 2012 mid 80's so a big difference. With so many other models including the Lexus range coming into play, i wouldnt be at all surprised if the price difference to upgrade 4-5 yrs newer would be less than 20k difference if you dont kill yours with km's (turning off potential buyers).

Like you said, you got a zero fault ISF at the moment, enjoy it. Just dont think a 2012-13 will be that fresh as its still 4 yrs old. Id love a GSF but ill just have to wait for the depreciation to kick in for someone else lol. Then again, same yr car as mine, id love a R35 but thats another story.
Yeah i think youre right, i do love my car and feel its almost "just right" in terms of mods, best to just drop the LSD in and if it aint broke dont fix it!

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
If you're having fun with the car & it has been good to you, I say keep it and upgrade. You'll save money. Also, trading in something that works for what's basically its equal always bodes bad luck in my book.
Yeah probably right..

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR

Yeah i have looked into a few LSD's but love the idea of a zero fuss and maintenance mechanical Torsen. Its really for silly buggers not track times, so i think it will definitely suffice.

Originally Posted by FFM
Surprised to hear about the B6 Bilsteins. You don't hear very many people upgrading just the struts. Hell there's even damper adjustable Tokico Red's available and don't think a single person on here has them. Curious how much better they are over stock with swift lowering springs that are so common.
Yeah they are pretty good. I actually have met a few blokes over here who swapped them into both '11 and '12 models, and though it was the best money they had spent. They are great shocks. The Tokico reds sound interesting, i will look into them.
Old 03-30-17, 02:38 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
I prefer bilstein over tokico all day every day. i've had both(non adj. tokico's though)
Old 03-30-17, 03:23 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I have thought the same and my car is a 2011, get a low km,s 2013 car and spend a small fortune on it and then be to scared to drive it, just do the diff and drive it daily
Old 03-30-17, 03:48 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
I prefer bilstein over tokico all day every day. i've had both(non adj. tokico's though)
I agree. However these Tokico Reds would be more comparable to B8's. The B6 are just a mild upgrade from factory. B8's would be ideal for a swift spring upgrade anyway.