Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

I want to ask about es300h acceleration feeling

Old 03-25-17, 06:05 PM
Masonchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to ask about es300h acceleration feeling

Hello.

I'm buying all new ES300h 2017 model in Korea, So before i drive a car , I have a few question about ES300H driving peformance

First of all, How do you feel when you drive a es300h on the highway?, Is it great to accelerate to Almost 60MPH? to change the road line enough?

Second, some driver in the Korea said, When we put the brake or drive more than 60mph, some high frequency sound like a 'beep' hear to us

What do you think about this concern about es300H?

Last edited by Masonchoi; 03-25-17 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 07:35 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

It has good strong acceleration up to 60, but it certainly isn't a race car. The battery pulls at the same time as the internal combustion engine so it makes up somewhat for the reduced horsepower as compared to the ES 350. Passing power at speeds over 60 isn't as good with the 300h as the 350 but it is plenty powerful for us.

As as to your concerns about any noises, I hear nothing. This is the quietest car we have ever owned. Some people outside the car can pick up on a little bit of a whine, however they now have a noisemaker at slower speeds to warn blind pedestrians and that overpowers any whine that might be heard outside the vehicle. I don't know if that will be on cars in Korea so you may only hear that light whine at slow speeds. You cannot hear it beyond about 50 KPH and never hear anything relating to the hybrid inside the car.

i hope that helps answer your questions. We really enjoy our 300h and would absolutely buy that car again if we had to make that decision again.
Old 03-25-17, 08:25 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There can be a slight delay when accelerating if you don't have a full battery charge and the car is running on battery power only. It takes time for the engine to turn on, rev up and feed power into the system. It's similar to turbo lag but you get used to it.

If you want quick overtaking, keep the mode selector in Sport mode - there's still a slight lag as the engine revs up but the increased electric torque makes up for it. With a full charge and the engine warmed up in Sport mode, the ES300h packs a huge midrange punch. It's like a cheap Tesla
Old 03-26-17, 03:01 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Firstly OP, what is your present daily driver?
Presently, my daily driver is Lexus 3.0 V6 and 3.5 V6.
Your current daily driver will have a big impact on how you perceive the ES300h!

If you are presently driving a Camry 2.5 or an Accord 2.4, the ES300h's powerline may feel quiet powerful and refined.

However, if you are presently driving a Mercedes C300 or E300 2.0 Turbo, you may find the ES300h feels quite lethargic [slow & weak] from 0-60 mph, and you may find that the ES300h's four cylinder unit feels rather coarse compared to the Mercedes 2.0 turbo.

Because my daily drivers are Lexus 3.0 V6 and Lexus 3.5 V6, I feel that the ES300h is grossly underpowered, slow, weak, and coarse to rev.

I wish Lexus made an ES350h - using the Lexus 2.0 Turbo combined with a big capacity lithium ion battery for 0-60 in at least 7 seconds, and an electric vehicle range of at least 30 miles etc.
Presently, the ES300h's electric vehicle only mode is rubbish for me, because if I press the accelerator pedal slightly too hard, the gasoline 2.5L four cylinder kicks in, such that EV mode isn't EV mode at all.
IMO, Lexus needs to really work on the ES300h, and turn it into an ES350h for the next generation in 2018.

Presently, the only gasoline-electric hybrid that I would buy would be the much more expensive Lexus GS450h.
The GS450h is so much more powerful, and the engine is so much smoother and quieter than the ES300h!
The GS450h is the real thing, while for me, the ES300h was rubbish.

However, two years ago, I stopped short of purchasing the GS450h, because I found that the extra cost of purchasing the GS450h combined with the additional cost of purchasing a new battery pack every 5-10 years or so, costs much more than its savings in gasoline, over purchasing the conventional gasoline powered GS350.
Furthermore, the hybrids had diminished trunk capacity, and extra weight burdening the handling.

However, if you are really into saving the environment and minimizing pollution, then by all means, purchase the Lexus ES300h.
Otherwise, it is often more enjoyable, and actually cheaper in the long term to purchase a conventional ES350 gasoline with a bigger trunk, lighter handling, a powerful and silky smooth V6...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-26-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 07:10 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah but the 300h gets 50 mpg if you're careful

The ES300h is great if you do a lot of urban commutes. It's not as smooth as the ES350 on highways though. I also drive vehicles with 3.0 and 3.5 V6 Lexus/Toyota motors, those are among the smoothest engines ever made but they're also thirsty. To me, the ES300h is a fantastic large hybrid sedan that's quiet and efficient but it's no tech tour-de-force or a performance car.

Horses for courses. Knowing how conservative Toyota is, it could be a decade before we see a PHEV or even a BEV Lexus. Heck the Prius still uses a NiMH pack on some variants.

I'll grab my coat...
Old 03-26-17, 08:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

As you'd expect, the ES350 accelerates much quicker than the hybrid. Car and Driver reports the following results:

0-60: 5.8 seconds vs. 7.8 seconds
30-50: 3.5 seconds vs. 4.2 seconds
50-70: 3.8 seconds vs. 5.5 seconds

Keep in mind that acceleration just one measure, but since you asked....
Old 03-26-17, 04:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

With the ES300h, one can save on gasoline costs depending on how much mileage we do per year.
For example, a taxi does tremendous mileage, so a taxi benefits in fuel economy.

Also, if most of the driving is done in stop start city traffic, then we can also save on gasoline costs there too.

Conversely, if one does low mileage, with a lot more highway driving, then one will save little on gasoline costs.

Also don't forget to add the cost of a new battery pack every 5-10 years etc [at a cost of several thousand dollars], as the battery packs diminish in capacity with age.

Bottom line.
Pros:
1) Reduction in environmental pollution.
2) Maybe a reduction in operating costs in the long term depending on mileage, and mix of city/highway driving, eg a taxi.

Cons:
1) Trunk space.
2) Performance.
3) Engine noise/vibration/harshness.
4) Handling/dynamics.
5) Maybe the costs, esp if low mileage/year and more highway driving, or only leasing for 4 years etc...
Old 03-26-17, 05:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are other Hybrid maintenance benefits in the long run to help offset the cost of a battery, should one be needed.

Examples are no starter to go out, no belts, no alternator, and brake pads and rotors that will likely never need to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (02-15-22)
Old 03-26-17, 08:26 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Peteharvey, your previous posts talk about "engine noise, harshness and coarseness." We don't have any of these issues with our 300h. I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems with yours, but I wouldn't necessarily think that is the norm.

I question whether the average ES buyer is going to notice any difference in "handling/dynamics." In my humble opinion, most ES owners are NOT buying this particular model for its handling or performance characteristics.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-27-17 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 09:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Peteharvey, your previous posts talk about "engine noise, harshness and coarseness." We don't have any of these issues with our 300h. I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems with yours, but I wouldn't necessarily think that is the norm.

I question whether the average ES buyer is going to notice any difference in "handling/dynamics." In my humble opinion, these most ES owners are buying this particular model for its handling or performance characteristics.
Like I said, it depends where you're coming from.
If you're coming from a Camry 2.5, or an Accord 2.4, then the ES300h will feel like a dream.
If you test drive a GS450h, and then test drive the ES300h, then the ES300h does not feel at all powerful, nor refined.
Old 03-26-17, 09:52 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Re. engine noise and harshness, the big four in the ES300h is fine if you don't rev it to redline. It's just that if you totally floor the throttle, the engine does sound a bit rough, like the big rumbly four that it is.

As for battery replacements, come on... The ES300h hybrid powertrain has a 8 or 10 year warranty. You might need to get a new battery pack after 10 years if you're unlucky or you could be on the same pack for 15 years. It's the same tried-and-true pack as in the Camry Hybrid, not the flaky stuff that Honda used in the Insight

To the OP: the acceleration is fine. I assume you've got heavy urban traffic in Korea so the ES300h would be a good choice. You probably won't go back to a normal car once you've been spoiled by electric-only cruising on city streets.

And to Peteharvey: yeah, the LS600hL is a much better car than the GS450h. So what? The GSh costs almost twice as much as the ESh!

Last edited by chromedome; 03-26-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 10:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
Re. engine noise and harshness, the big four in the ES300h is fine if you don't rev it to redline. It's just that if you totally floor the throttle, the engine does sound a bit rough, like the big rumbly four that it is.

As for battery replacements, come on... The ES300h hybrid powertrain has a 8 or 10 year warranty. You might need to get a new battery pack after 10 years if you're unlucky or you could be on the same pack for 15 years. It's the same tried-and-true pack as in the Camry Hybrid, not the flaky stuff that Honda used in the Insight

To the OP: the acceleration is fine. I assume you've got heavy urban traffic in Korea so the ES300h would be a good choice. You probably won't go back to a normal car once you've been spoiled by electric-only cruising on city streets.

And to Peteharvey: yeah, the LS600hL is a much better car than the GS450h. So what? The GSh costs almost twice as much as the ESh!
Chromedome, if you talk about it that way, then why bother with an ES300h at all - why not just stick to a Camry 2.5 or Accord 2.4 for half the price again?

The OP wants to know about the ES300h acceleration "feeling".
Sure, you get what you pay for.
However, the ES350 gasoline and ES300h hybrid are similarly priced, and each has it pros and cons as I listed above.
It's up to the OP to decide which set of pros/cons he/she wants...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-26-17 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 10:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Chromedome, if you talk about it that way, then why bother with an ES300h at all - why not just stick to a Camry 2.5 or Accord 2.4 for half the price again?

The OP wants to know about the ES300h acceleration "feeling".
Sure, you get what you pay for.
However, the ES350 gasoline and ES300h hybrid are similarly priced, and each has it pros and cons as I listed above.
It's up to the OP to decide which set of pros/cons he/she wants...
That's funny. I had a TSX 2.4 before the ES300h, the ES is a huge step ahead in refinement. Heck, why bother with an Accord 2.4 when a Civic is good enough? Heck, why the Civic when a Yugo should be enough for everyone

The OP is also in Korea where gas prices are crazy and import duties make cars with big engines very expensive. You can't make an ES300h vs ES350 comparison as easily as you could in North America. For example, in neighboring China the ES300h goes for $60k USD while the ES350 is $100k! The ES250 is a lot cheaper at $45k.
Old 03-26-17, 10:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
That's funny. I had a TSX 2.4 before the ES300h, the ES is a huge step ahead in refinement. Heck, why bother with an Accord 2.4 when a Civic is good enough? Heck, why the Civic when a Yugo should be enough for everyone

The OP is also in Korea where gas prices are crazy and import duties make cars with big engines very expensive. You can't make an ES300h vs ES350 comparison as easily as you could in North America. For example, in neighboring China the ES300h goes for $60k USD while the ES350 is $100k! The ES250 is a lot cheaper at $45k.
We're only here to give the OP the list of pros and cons.
It's up to he/she to make the final decision.
Old 03-27-17, 02:16 AM
Masonchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks guys... Btw

Thanks guys

I really appreciate your opinion about choosing a ES300h

Btw.... Last concern of mine is Some brake noise

when i heard the sound at the Youtube or on the internet , Brake sound ( Regenerative sound ) is so Weird

because when i drove a Gasoline car, it doesn't have any noise you know..

​​​​​​​It's like a Metro sound seriously

do i can adapt this sound well at the future?? It will not bother me ,

(sorry you know, i'm not native person so please understand my writing skill )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want to ask about es300h acceleration feeling