SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:42 AM
Nigel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Battery Drain?

Bought an immaculate SC430 last November 2016 (2008 model). Was left standing for several weeks and the alarm started. I shut that off then discovered the battery was dead. The AA (Lexus Care) identified a dead battery and a new one was fitted. They did a leakage test which found nothing. I've used the car once then, again, left it standing for 2 months. New battery dead again (March 2017) and currently (forgive the pun) is in the garage on a charger. The car was/is under a car port in a mild winter and was left without the security system set.
Any ideas? Is this a car that needs one of those battery maintenance units fitted?
Old 03-20-17, 06:19 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes, these cars need a battery tender if you're going to let it sit. It seems to take only 2-3 weeks to drain the battery, with the car sitting.
Old 03-20-17, 04:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

There appears to be extra battery drain if you leave the light switch on auto. Be sure to turn it all the way off every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Harold57:
buddhi (05-23-21), tony9 (08-19-20)
Old 03-20-17, 09:12 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not that I have a flat battery, but if I do get one, do I charge the battery with the Battery connected or disconnect the + & - leads.

Thank you
Chris.......From OZ.
Old 03-20-17, 10:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

I recently travelled out of the country and left my SC untouched for three weeks, came back from the trip and it started without any problem ( the battery is 6 months old). I used to have the battery drainage problem but that was an old battery (did not know how old it was).

One suggestion is is not turn on the alarm system if you park inside the garage, besides not leave the light on auto.
Old 03-21-17, 04:54 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Been fortunate. I have my lights on auto and I can leave the car for up to two weeks with little effect on the battery. Don't think I have gone past 2.5 weeks and the only time I had trouble starting was after I had to abandon the car in a snow storm. Recovery of the car was fine , started ok after the snow melted, but three days after recovery was when the battery died. 91 k miles and on my third battery. First was Lexus OEM. Subsequent batteries were interstate.
Old 03-22-17, 10:57 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I notice that my battery would die if I do not drive her in ~7 days this past winter. I am sure the cold weather do not help here. Not sure how old is the battery. So beside not leaving the light on auto, and not turn on the alarm, has anyone fitted a larger than stock battery for extra reserve? Seems like there is a space for larger battery there. I know larger battery = more weight, but lets just say I am not concerned about the weight. My car is parked next to the shelving in the garage. There is absolutely no space for me to reach the battery, so trying to connect it to a charger/battery tender is really not an option.
Old 03-22-17, 11:15 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

You can very easily attach a charging cable direct to your battery with extension and route the connection to just under the front bumper and then just plug in your battery tender. They sell battery tenders and extension cables you just permanently install the terminals to the battery and route the extension

Originally Posted by BCT
I notice that my battery would die if I do not drive her in ~7 days this past winter. I am sure the cold weather do not help here. Not sure how old is the battery. So beside not leaving the light on auto, and not turn on the alarm, has anyone fitted a larger than stock battery for extra reserve? Seems like there is a space for larger battery there. I know larger battery = more weight, but lets just say I am not concerned about the weight. My car is parked next to the shelving in the garage. There is absolutely no space for me to reach the battery, so trying to connect it to a charger/battery tender is really not an option.
The following users liked this post:
Bkerjim (07-17-17)
Old 03-22-17, 05:36 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

BTW, welcome to the forum Nigel.
Old 03-23-17, 08:04 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
You can very easily attach a charging cable direct to your battery with extension and route the connection to just under the front bumper and then just plug in your battery tender. They sell battery tenders and extension cables you just permanently install the terminals to the battery and route the extension
Hmm... that might be the solution... thank you!
Old 05-18-17, 08:45 AM
Nigel
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 Battery Drain

Thanks to all who replied to my query last March 2017. I've "solved" this problem by purchasing a smart battery charger (tender) and I connect up about every 10 days for a few days. (Careful monitoring of the battery every day showed that it loses about 0.05v. every day.) I'm fortunate in keeping it under a car port attached to my garage so was able to install an outside power socket protected from the weather. Am still amazed that such a prestigious company can market such vehicles; I can't be alone in only using the car for occasional use? I was not attracted to the solar solution. BTW-I never left the security or auto light switch or anything else on-am certain of that. Power amp is not faulty. Just seems to be the nature of the beast! Magnificent car, though. Bought it to replace a classic (but crude) British sports car that I had for 36 years. I'm hoping that this SC will see me out! Cheers, Nigel (England)
Old 05-18-17, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Hello Nigel from your SC buddies across the pond!

I have been using a battery tender ever since I bough my SC in 2010. My other garaged cars get some trickle charging periodically. Batteries need to be charged every few days. I have a cart I use with the battery tender and it has a long extension cord.

Post a pic of your SC.
Old 06-05-17, 09:23 AM
Nigel
Driver School Candidate

Here's my car (Surrey, England) Failed miserably to attach the pic.Any ideas how to? (It's attached to an email).

(I managed to get my son to help me, see below)

Last edited by Nigel; 06-08-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 09:15 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel
Here's my car (Surrey, England) Failed miserably to attach the pic.Any ideas how to? (It's attached to an email).
Hello Nigel, fastest way to post a picture will be to use an online photo site (I use Photobucket) then you just copy the link and post it on your thread.

Try it. Good luck, we sure want to see your gem.

mandyfig

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-29-19 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 11:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I think you can take a picture with your phone. Log into clublexus and when it looks for the photo, you can aim it at your pictures.

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain?