LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toms Air Filter/Oliver Exhaust Vents/Sound Generator Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 01:11 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Toms Air Filter/Oliver Exhaust Vents/Sound Generator Review

I've had great results with a few items I bought over the last couple weeks. First, a little about this car I bought it about a month ago its a LS460 2008 with 52,XXX miles on it. Been pretty obsessed with getting more sound out of this car *MISS MY ISF* and honestly this LS is pretty comparable to an ISF but bigger, way more comfortable and power is slightly lower.

The Oliver enterprises exhaust vent, definitely very noticeable sound upon start up. I love the sound when taking off from a light. Its honestly not too loud and not to quite. It tunes out on the freeway or higher speeds (Thank goodness, If you've ever been on the freeway in ISF with headers and full exhaust you'll definitely want it to be quite lol). Thanks Jason! for an awesome product. Always happy to support an lexus enthusiast and CL vender.

I've done the intake mod(removal of the carbon filter). The carbon takes a majority of the top part of your intake box taking it out makes the air passing through your intake less restrictive. It gave it a little more rumble at WOT.

I Installed the OEM sound generator before the Tom's air filter to see if it would make an difference in sound. It did, I heard a difference revving to 4-5K. Was it worth it? I think so it was only $100.

As for the Tom's big difference in sound (with everything in stalled stated above). It has a louder start up. At WOT on the freeway it, you can hear the intake passing air as you would an aftermarket intake. Even the pedal is a tad bit more touchy. I absolutely love it. You and the people around you definietly know have a V8 in that land yacht that your driving.

I hope this helps some of you trying to achieve the same thing. If its not your cup of tea, the LS is perfectly fine stock.

Name:  41B5A7F1-212D-4CA0-88A9-8825212EA5AE_zpsddjwdzzi.jpg
Views: 3048
Size:  346.3 KB
Name:  D12CF39F-2ADC-41D3-8173-B8440EBECA34_zpsdk3aw97y.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  300.0 KB
Name:  E92A338D-FAAC-4691-968C-BEE0A5B8C0FF_zpsc7e2elc1.jpg
Views: 2451
Size:  190.9 KB
Name:  cb01adfd-a90e-4ad0-94d4-9329d382e2d7_zpsthswwdvn.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  396.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
3GSShoe (06-21-19)
Old 03-10-17, 10:25 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Really good write-up. I'm glad the Exhaust Vents are working well for you. I love the start-up and the acceleration away from a stop sound as well. And then it seems at most cruising speeds, the sounds kind of subside and I can listen to the amazing clarity of the ML system.

Matt - I'm about to exchange engine air filters. Are the charcoal parts held, in a permanent way? Or do they just pull right out?
Old 03-10-17, 11:58 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Really good write-up. I'm glad the Exhaust Vents are working well for you. I love the start-up and the acceleration away from a stop sound as well. And then it seems at most cruising speeds, the sounds kind of subside and I can listen to the amazing clarity of the ML system.

Matt - I'm about to exchange engine air filters. Are the charcoal parts held, in a permanent way? Or do they just pull right out?
Thanks brother! Unfortunately you'll have to cut the carbon filter out. There's little black pegs that hold it in. I'm sure there's a way to jimmy it to stay in place if you wanted to put them back but when I ran them with my stock filters I never hand a problem and that was 700 miles ago.
Old 05-23-18, 07:44 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but does the sound generator work on the 2013+ models as well?
Do you have a part number avail for this that I can get at a lexus dealer or search for on ebay?

TIA (I tried to search on CL but didn't come up with anything).

Absolutely love my O.E. exhaust vents (single stack). Worth every penny and it was not expensive to begin with.
Old 05-24-18, 10:16 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you noticed any difference in mpg since the changes in the air filter and taking out the carbon filters? They say this car is pretty well tuned for optimal mpg but thought I'd ask....
Old 05-25-18, 07:39 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whytry
Have you noticed any difference in mpg since the changes in the air filter and taking out the carbon filters? They say this car is pretty well tuned for optimal mpg but thought I'd ask....
I have not it’s the same if not better.
Old 11-16-18, 07:41 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

the sound generator, how is it installed? if i get it I am bringing it to an indy shop and well I need some information to pass it along lest they F something up..

THANKS !
Old 11-16-18, 08:07 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It simply attaches to the intake before the filters, not involved at all and definitely not something I'd pay someone to do if you have even the most basic hand tools.
Old 11-16-18, 08:31 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
the sound generator, how is it installed? if i get it I am bringing it to an indy shop and well I need some information to pass it along lest they F something up..

THANKS !
You're not taking it to a dealer, so the chances of something being F'ed up is GREATLY REDUCED. Sounds like you can do it yourself.

Old 11-16-18, 10:14 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
You're not taking it to a dealer, so the chances of something being F'ed up is GREATLY REDUCED. Sounds like you can do it yourself.
lol I don’t have the space I live in an apartment but I don’t need a step by step just a rough idea so I can instruct the shop... but point taken about the stealership
Old 11-16-18, 10:41 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Any shop can figure it out in under 15 seconds of looking at it. It will probably take longer to remove the engine covers. I would have them be careful on that. The rest is cake.
Old 11-16-18, 11:14 AM
Tundrasaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone getting check engine light after removing the carbon filters? I had to put mine back on to get rid of it. I have kn&n filters.
Old 11-16-18, 12:08 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
Unfortunately you'll have to cut the carbon filter out. There's little black pegs that hold it in. I'm sure there's a way to jimmy it to stay in place if you wanted to put them back but when I ran them with my stock filters I never hand a problem and that was 700 miles ago.
Where is this mystery Carbon Filter at? I am looking at doing a new intake filter element, but am interested in placement of this carbon filter so I can remove it all at same time ideally...

THX

Old 11-16-18, 01:48 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whytry
Where is this mystery Carbon Filter at? I am looking at doing a new intake filter element, but am interested in placement of this carbon filter so I can remove it all at same time ideally...

THX
they mean the net looking thing in the air filter covers
Old 11-16-18, 01:49 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 213374U
It simply attaches to the intake before the filters, not involved at all and definitely not something I'd pay someone to do if you have even the most basic hand tools.
someone just revived a super old thread and I see how it fits now and yeah pretty easy. Thanks

Quick Reply: Toms Air Filter/Oliver Exhaust Vents/Sound Generator Review