GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 02:09 PM
kabbott
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions

I have a 2006 GX470 and because of having to use the compressor to raise rear 3-4 times a week I'm wanting to convert the rear to springs. I was looking at the Strutmasters kit of springs, mounts, and shocks but then see there are other brands that sell the springs and/or mounts only.

I have two concern because I haven't seen on line videos that cover them clearly.

1. From experience, does anyone know if Strutmasters, Arnott, MetalTech, is the best brand to go with for factory ride height and smooth ride and overall reputation. And with the original shocks being hydraulic, it seems it would be preferable to leave them be and just put on springs with their brackets so is there any reason they should be replaced with new ones like in a Strutmasters kit?

2. What is involved in resetting whatever to disconnect warning lights after the conversion. Again, I have only checked with Strutmasters and they say the instructions to do so (whatever they are) are in the kit but does anyone know if its that simple or is anything about it problematic ?
Old 03-01-17, 07:37 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the complete MetalTech kit, FJ cruiser springs, and stock/factory shocks.

Name:  C8CB3C18-8D15-4860-BB87-F70805AAE958_zpsmkfhmbkw.jpg
Views: 17244
Size:  354.7 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by BlackCat81:
GreatHim (04-04-17), kabbott (03-08-17), Mpenzi (10-17-17)
Old 03-03-17, 10:52 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted my old 2005 to

Arnott Arnott

never been hapier
The following 2 users liked this post by Globalinx:
ArnottInc (03-04-19), kabbott (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 08:19 AM
kabbott
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks guys

Thank you for the replies. The truck looks nice blackcat. I've looked a both the MetalTech and Arnott with the plan developing to leave the factory Lexus shocks in place. I think I'm leaning to Arnott right now.

I've been looking for warning light information ahead of doing the conversion. Was expecting more info or copies of the instructions for killing warning lights that some conversion kit companies say will come with the kit. I'm missing it in my searches or its not out there. Videos on disconnecting and pulling the air bags are pretty disappointing also.
I've been looking at threads that talk about pulling fuses and tell about the computer systems that control the systems. I've been amazed how out of the loop the Lexus dealer parts guys are (they didn't know anyone was making these conversions but they start off every contact with them as arrogant Q & A's wanting t know why you would do such a thing as take factory parts off). Arnott says there is no way to turn the warning lights off.

I'm planning on pulling the bags and placing the spring myself but i have questions that hopefully someone can clarify and hopefully are not too dumb. This is the first vehicle I have ever had with shocks that have a harness coming out of them.

What are they? I saw in 1 or 2 videos to bleed off hydraulics to them but what poor vids with close ups that you couldn't identify what they were working on, so I started thinking on top of an air system controlling the air bags that there was a leveling hydraulic system on the shocks too. The guys at Lexus told me its an electrical harness, not hydraulic so I'm trying to figure how electrics work on shocks. I'm not removing them so I'm assuming whatever system is associated with the shocks will just function as normal. If that's not true please tell me how it will be effected when the bags are disconnected.

Biggest concern is if there will be no way to turn off warning lights like Arnott said (if they do come on) so it makes me have the question, when I disconnect the airline from the bags, do I leave them sitting there or do I need to plug them to make the system think the bags are still there or what? With the only thing connected to the bags I'm trying to figure out what actually triggers the lights to come on
Old 03-09-17, 06:30 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kabbott
Thank you for the replies. The truck looks nice blackcat. I've looked a both the MetalTech and Arnott with the plan developing to leave the factory Lexus shocks in place. I think I'm leaning to Arnott right now.

I've been looking for warning light information ahead of doing the conversion. Was expecting more info or copies of the instructions for killing warning lights that some conversion kit companies say will come with the kit. I'm missing it in my searches or its not out there. Videos on disconnecting and pulling the air bags are pretty disappointing also.
I've been looking at threads that talk about pulling fuses and tell about the computer systems that control the systems. I've been amazed how out of the loop the Lexus dealer parts guys are (they didn't know anyone was making these conversions but they start off every contact with them as arrogant Q & A's wanting t know why you would do such a thing as take factory parts off). Arnott says there is no way to turn the warning lights off.

I'm planning on pulling the bags and placing the spring myself but i have questions that hopefully someone can clarify and hopefully are not too dumb. This is the first vehicle I have ever had with shocks that have a harness coming out of them.

What are they? I saw in 1 or 2 videos to bleed off hydraulics to them but what poor vids with close ups that you couldn't identify what they were working on, so I started thinking on top of an air system controlling the air bags that there was a leveling hydraulic system on the shocks too. The guys at Lexus told me its an electrical harness, not hydraulic so I'm trying to figure how electrics work on shocks. I'm not removing them so I'm assuming whatever system is associated with the shocks will just function as normal. If that's not true please tell me how it will be effected when the bags are disconnected.

Biggest concern is if there will be no way to turn off warning lights like Arnott said (if they do come on) so it makes me have the question, when I disconnect the airline from the bags, do I leave them sitting there or do I need to plug them to make the system think the bags are still there or what? With the only thing connected to the bags I'm trying to figure out what actually triggers the lights to come on
electronic shock dampening will not be affected. For me, I just cut my air lines with pliers, popped the airbag retaining clips out of the top of the bags, and removed them. I'll do some digging on the warning disable, I did mine so long ago I don't remember exactly. It's 2 under hood fuses and a connector in the drivers kick panel if I remember correctly. You will not have any warning messages on.
Old 03-09-17, 08:38 AM
kabbott
Driver School Candidate

That sounds encouraging,I was hoping the air warning was something simple like fuses. Thanks Blackcat, anything you remember is appreciated.
Old 03-24-17, 06:42 PM
kabbott
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension Conversion Project over

I just did the air bag to spring conversion today. Every other aspect of the suspension / shocks were left original and it is riding the nicest it has ever ridden. Very very happy with the route I went.

For anyone finding this thread in the future, if you're fact finding ahead of the work and assessing whether to find a mechanic or doing it your self, hopefully the following will answer some of your questions.

Sensors were not communicating to keep vehicle level so I was having to have the compressor fill the rear bags every time it was started (chassis would drop and was sitting on axel every time vehicle was turned off)

The switch out took about 3 hours but if I knew several things like how the air tubing connectors worked ahead of time this is a 1 hour job.

I changed out the airbags for Arnott springs. Ordered them on ebay for $325 ( Lexus GX470 03-09 Rear Air to Coil Springs Conversion Kit C-2410 Arnott ),
Also ordered a $21.00 spring compressor set on Ebay as well.

A couple of mini flat screw drivers for helping to push the inner connecter sleeve parts to free the air line.
A Socket set for use on the spring compressor set.

The vehicle was jacked from the center of the rear axle and jack stands put under the frame. The jack lowered so the axel was free hanging. The rear tires removed.

Everything you find on the web says the bags are just sitting there, but after disconnecting the air line and compressing the air bag, you have to tug the bag down and to an angle and it drops down. (have no idea what was holding them at the top but they break free with steady pressure.

It only took compressing the springs about 3.5 inches to get them in place on the axle.
There was ample room to place the driver side.
On this 06 model, the passenger side of the axle has a welded bracket interfering so the bumper mount rubber thing had to be unbolted to allow room to move the spring into place.

There are no warning lights or anything like that happening at all.
This turned out very well after finding out there were issues starting on the air suspension system of this vehicle. Don't think twice about making the conversion we you start having problems with yours.2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions-rear.jpg
Attached Thumbnails 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions-side.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by kabbott:
anyoldiron (04-05-17), jasanders (04-21-17), JimboVA (10-13-17), maa45069 (10-31-17), Rendell (10-18-17), Ssd108 (09-06-17) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-17, 07:00 AM
AWilson013
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kabbott
I just did the air bag to spring conversion today. Every other aspect of the suspension / shocks were left original and it is riding the nicest it has ever ridden. Very very happy with the route I went.

For anyone finding this thread in the future, if you're fact finding ahead of the work and assessing whether to find a mechanic or doing it your self, hopefully the following will answer some of your questions.

Sensors were not communicating to keep vehicle level so I was having to have the compressor fill the rear bags every time it was started (chassis would drop and was sitting on axel every time vehicle was turned off)

The switch out took about 3 hours but if I knew several things like how the air tubing connectors worked ahead of time this is a 1 hour job.

I changed out the airbags for Arnott springs. Ordered them on ebay for $325 ( Lexus GX470 03-09 Rear Air to Coil Springs Conversion Kit C-2410 Arnott ),
Also ordered a $21.00 spring compressor set on Ebay as well.

A couple of mini flat screw drivers for helping to push the inner connecter sleeve parts to free the air line.
A Socket set for use on the spring compressor set.

The vehicle was jacked from the center of the rear axle and jack stands put under the frame. The jack lowered so the axel was free hanging. The rear tires removed.

Everything you find on the web says the bags are just sitting there, but after disconnecting the air line and compressing the air bag, you have to tug the bag down and to an angle and it drops down. (have no idea what was holding them at the top but they break free with steady pressure.

It only took compressing the springs about 3.5 inches to get them in place on the axle.
There was ample room to place the driver side.
On this 06 model, the passenger side of the axle has a welded bracket interfering so the bumper mount rubber thing had to be unbolted to allow room to move the spring into place.

There are no warning lights or anything like that happening at all.
This turned out very well after finding out there were issues starting on the air suspension system of this vehicle. Don't think twice about making the conversion we you start having problems with yours.Attachment 406485
Nice job.

i just converted mine yesterday with the Metaltech kit. I'm pretty handy, and with no instructions or spring compressor I was able to do this in about 90 minutes. As you said, the passenger side was stubborn. On past vehicles I could articulate the axle enough with a jack to just slide the coil in. However, even with the lower shock mount undone, the KDSS sway bar didn't allow that on the passenger side.

With the passenger side done, the driver was easy (and articulated how other vehicles do, even with my KDSS). Jacked up the passenger side, driver dropped, and I just placed the coil in with TONS of space.

For springs my friend at the local Toyota dealer gave me some brand new 2017 4Runner takeoffs for free. I don't know if they typically sell those, but it may be a good option if you're on a budget. Worst they can say is no.

Pulling the red Air Sus relay under the hood and TEMS fuse in the dash turned off all lights, and stopped the compressor from firing up when I parked.
The following 5 users liked this post by AWilson013:
anyoldiron (04-05-17), BeEvil (03-27-19), jasanders (04-21-17), Rendell (10-18-17), takaiguchi (12-26-17)
Old 04-29-17, 06:16 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the conversion with arnott springs today, it took a few hrs to complete I cut the two air lines but plugged them with rubber caps to prevent moisture getting into the compressor. pulled fuses #4 in engine bay and #49 in driver panel to shut off all lights. GX drives better than ever!
The following 2 users liked this post by Brklynkid:
ArnottInc (03-04-19), BeEvil (03-27-19)
Old 05-01-17, 10:34 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Anyone have pics of the coils installed?
Old 05-01-17, 12:30 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

My driveway has a downward slope so GX may appear more level than it really is. With the arnott springs I believe the rear is a little higher than the height with the airbags
Old 05-02-17, 05:30 PM
dildil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys im in the same boat my truck rides crazy and jumps up in the rear with a bang going down.... i looked at strutmasters kit and also suncore as arnotts are way to expensive for me to put my gx is 04 with 230k, suncore seems to be the cheapest with 225 rear sprints and new gas struts i think and strutmasters kit is 400 for the same parts for the rear...

can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between strutmaster and suncore kit ?

and will it make the lexus drive smooth again lol i know at 230k miles its not suppose to run like new but besides the ride everything else works great on the truck and im fine with how it is besides the CLUNK at stops which will be my next fix if i do the air suspension.

reason i ask if it will make the suv run like a lexus again is coz reading up everywhere its different answers, some say it runs like riding on clouds and some say bumps are still there...

thank you
Old 05-02-17, 05:54 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

Lexus GX470 03-09 Rear Air to Coil Springs Conversion Kit C-2410 Arnott

I got the springs from these guys pretty cheap and fast shipping! Gx drives great ! It has 137k on the odo

Last edited by Brklynkid; 05-02-17 at 05:55 PM. Reason: mis spelled
Old 05-02-17, 09:47 PM
dildil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These coils only are about 250+

suncore Selling coils for 175...

these are the 2 options i was thinking about

http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2003-2009-lexus-gx-470-rear-air-suspension-conversion-kit-te1rb/

2nd
https://www.suncoreindustries.com/p-652-air-suspension-air-to-coil-spring-conversion-kit-with-gas-shocks-rear-pairs-lexus-toyota.aspx

Last edited by dildil; 05-02-17 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 10:17 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Arnott - please describe ride and handling

My 2006 has 132,000 miles and I keep wondering if it is time to replace the shocks and air bags, everything is stock and working well. I see very positive statements about the Arnott system but I am wondering what ride difference you felt and whether you have the factory adjustable shocks or an alternative. I drive with the "electronic modulated suspension" at the firmest setting. Another way to say it I drive with the shocks at the firmest setting. I have KDSS and Michelin 265/65/17 tires.. I really don't want to install alternative parts that compromise the handling without having an idea what it will change. Obviously when coils are put in the automatic leveling will be gone. Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions