GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check VSC and Check ECB Message

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 01:09 PM
TemIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC and Check ECB Message

I haven't been on here in years, but my 2006 GS430 did something out of character the other night. This car has been bulletproof up until this point. Anyways, Saturday afternoon the battery light illuminated, but I didn't think much of it. Decided I would deal with it on Monday. Saturday evening I was driving home from dinner and was about a mile from home when the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. The Check VSC and Check ECB message popped up as well as the ABS light, battery light. yellow exclamation light and traction control light. The car was also emitting a beep at this point. I went to stop at the red light ahead and had to slam on the brakes to get the car to stop. At the light, the Nav started resetting over and over with the Lexus home screen appearing. I thought I could make it the 2 blocks home, and luckily I did, but as I was pulling into the garage, the power steering went out. I turned off the car to see if the codes would reset, but the car wouldn't restart. Sunday morning I went out and the car started just fine, although the batter light was still illuminated. I didn't try to drive the car. I have an appointment at Lexus this afternoon and will have the car towed just to be safe. I'm hoping it's just the alternator. Anyone have any input on what else could cause this?
Old 01-09-17, 09:25 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the alternator.

The battery gained enough voltage overnight to allow you to start it temporarily, but with the engine running ALL the electricity for the ignition, accessories, computers, and power steering is being pulled from the battery ONLY and if the headlights and other misc electronics are being used - it will be worse.

Last edited by Japmand; 01-09-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 02:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

Yep sounds like the ECUs all lost power or a voltage below 11 volts.
Old 01-15-17, 11:02 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You can easily change this yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Its just loosening the belt, and I believe loosening 5 bolts total? (3 being the alternator and 2 being the positive and negative posts).
Old 01-15-17, 05:23 PM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

yeah i just did the alternator on my 06 gs430 a week ago. i have pictures if you need references
Old 01-18-17, 11:58 AM
TemIS300
Driver School Candidate

It was the alternator. Had it done for $700 with OEM parts. I'm not mechanically inclined, so was happy to pay that.
Old 01-19-17, 08:55 AM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

wow, i understand that you may not have been able to do it yourself but that's extremely over priced.
Old 01-19-17, 04:45 PM
TemIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoritoDan
wow, i understand that you may not have been able to do it yourself but that's extremely over priced.
I called around and that seemed about the going rate at an independent shop. One Lexus dealer quoted me $1400 and the other $1200. $700 seemed like a bargain.
Old 01-19-17, 07:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

For an OEM alternator that's cheaper than what my dealer quoted on my 300. They quoted me $1200
Old 01-19-17, 07:31 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$800 for my 06 300 awd.
Old 01-20-17, 07:40 PM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

sheesh i would've done yours for a paid bar tab bro, but im in florida
Old 11-18-17, 11:17 PM
Temmyz
Driver School Candidate

Default Gs 430 check vsc check ecb

Originally Posted by TemIS300
I haven't been on here in years, but my 2006 GS430 did something out of character the other night. This car has been bulletproof up until this point. Anyways, Saturday afternoon the battery light illuminated, but I didn't think much of it. Decided I would deal with it on Monday. Saturday evening I was driving home from dinner and was about a mile from home when the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. The Check VSC and Check ECB message popped up as well as the ABS light, battery light. yellow exclamation light and traction control light. The car was also emitting a beep at this point. I went to stop at the red light ahead and had to slam on the brakes to get the car to stop. At the light, the Nav started resetting over and over with the Lexus home screen appearing. I thought I could make it the 2 blocks home, and luckily I did, but as I was pulling into the garage, the power steering went out. I turned off the car to see if the codes would reset, but the car wouldn't restart. Sunday morning I went out and the car started just fine, although the batter light was still illuminated. I didn't try to drive the car. I have an appointment at Lexus this afternoon and will have the car towed just to be safe. I'm hoping it's just the alternator. Anyone have any input on what else could cause this?

Please what was the problem when you took it for fixing? My car just suddenly exhibiting thesame symptoms listed by you, beeping sounds, check vsc check ecb, the navigation restarting and my steering just suddenly got stiff. Pls help
Old 12-16-17, 10:30 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DoritoDan
yeah i just did the alternator on my 06 gs430 a week ago. i have pictures if you need references
Please post pictures of DIY for alternator bro. I'm having same problem. I think I might change it myself Friday and have my mechanic clear the codes afterwards.
Old 12-16-17, 05:59 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I would try my luck by swapping out the alternator brushes first before replacing the whole alternator
Old 12-17-17, 09:47 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Please post pictures of DIY for alternator bro. I'm having same problem. I think I might change it myself Friday and have my mechanic clear the codes afterwards.
Giving you a heads up, this is for GS430 ONLY.... Each of these engines are different when changing their alternators. (I'm not sure if GS300 and GS350 share the same alternator removal and installation procedures).

The GS430 is very simple compared to the other variants from what I've seen.

Quick Reply: Check VSC and Check ECB Message