SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can you wire a backup camera & a relay into the NAV screen instead of using Navicks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 04:15 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Can you wire a backup camera & a relay into the NAV screen instead of using Navicks?

I would like a backup camera but don't really want to pay the $185 for navicks system just for the one function.

Do you think I could wire a relay triggered by the backup lights to control the video signal?

When the relay is powered it connects the backup feed, when it is not, the normal nav feed would be displayed.

Do you guys think that is possible? If so, any suggestions on what type of relay is needed?
Old 01-04-17, 04:34 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Would this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30-40-Am...8AAOSwXeJXffXL

where 85 & 86 are wired to the backup lights.
30 is wired to the NAV screen
87 is connected to the NAV DVD player
and 87a is wired to the backup camera

What has me stumped is the RCA camera is a two wire system. Can the nav system and the camera share a common wire, or do I need a 7 pole relay?
Old 01-04-17, 07:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

I cannot explain it without doing some homework, but I do know my beatsonic uses a separate video input channel to the screen. I know this because I wired in the new RCA jack beatsonic provided. My steering wheel mode button swaps the video input between the two channels. The first is the GPS maps and the second is the input from my radio when I am playing a movie.

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-02-18 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 07:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

This shows where you wire in the RCA connector.
Old 01-04-17, 07:17 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I see the problem being having a triggering circuit that can recognize a reverse signal and then switch the video inputs between GPS and backup cam. Even if you can figure out the wiring without a triggering logic board you cannot do anything about the signals and that's where Naviks value comes in.
Old 01-05-17, 10:45 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

After more thought, I think I can use two separate relays for the two wire camera. One for each wire.

My basic thought is sketched out like so

The relay(s) controls the video source based on activation by the Backup lights

I got the idea when I wired a backup camera in my Ford. They have an always powered backup light circuit, and I had to put in a relay so the camera would activate when the circuit was not powered (instead of the always unpowered circuit the rest of the world uses).
Old 01-05-17, 10:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I cannot explain it without doing some homework, but I do know my beatsonic uses a separate video input channel to the screen. I know this because I wired in the new RCA jack beatsonic provided. My steering wheel mode button swipes the video input between the two channels. The first is the GPS maps and the second is the input from my radio when I am playing a movie.
Thanks for the diagram BGW. The wire colors will come in handy if I decide to pursue this.

The beatsonics box is by far more comprehensive than my simple relay idea and I wonder if I am delaying the inevitable. Right now I don't want those features, but will I eventually?
Old 01-05-17, 12:10 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

In my opinion the backup cam is by far the most useful and one of the cheapest mod on the SC430. So far I have added backup cam, Grom and Luxlink on my car. The backup cam is the least expensive and something I cannot live without. Ask yourself how many times you had fog on your rear window and you had to back out your beloved SC430 without being able to see anything behind you. I just do not want that nervous feeling on a daily basis. As a result I think half of the SC430s I see out there seem to have some bumper scratches. Having a backup cam definitely can be a cost saver in the long run by eliminating damages and as an added benefit the grid on the backup cam helps parallel parking too.
Regarding Naviks besides the backup cam it also gives you the ability to add video signal to the nav screen, such as having mirror cast from your smart phone.

Last edited by jzdulexus; 01-05-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 07:35 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dash:
On the 2007 SC430, the navigation screen's video input is an analog RGBS signal from the Navigation DVD. To "simply" intercept and switch (w/ relay) between this RGBS (5-wire video signal w/ separate signals for the Red, Green, Blue, and Synch) --- and a composite (2-wire) video signal where these color-signals are all combined, you would first need to convert the camera's composite signal, to RGBS.

That's in essense, what my NAVTool unit is doing ...

Connections are shown in the attachment.

Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails Can you wire a backup camera & a relay into the NAV screen instead of using Navicks?-sc430-nav-video.png  
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (01-09-17)
Old 01-08-17, 10:13 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
In my opinion the backup cam is by far the most useful and one of the cheapest mod on the SC430. So far I have added backup cam, Grom and Luxlink on my car. The backup cam is the least expensive and something I cannot live without. Ask yourself how many times you had fog on your rear window and you had to back out your beloved SC430 without being able to see anything behind you. I just do not want that nervous feeling on a daily basis. As a result I think half of the SC430s I see out there seem to have some bumper scratches. Having a backup cam definitely can be a cost saver in the long run by eliminating damages and as an added benefit the grid on the backup cam helps parallel parking too.
Regarding Naviks besides the backup cam it also gives you the ability to add video signal to the nav screen, such as having mirror cast from your smart phone.
I agree, a backup camera and good stereo were the two things I missed when I bought my SC. I swapped out the stereo for one with Carplay and Sirius and had a backup camera installed (wich feeds to the video monitor from the stereo). The stereo was a wonderful mod that increased my pleasure, but the backup camera was an essential one.
Old 01-09-17, 09:13 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TarheelNic
Dash:
On the 2007 SC430, the navigation screen's video input is an analog RGBS signal from the Navigation DVD. To "simply" intercept and switch (w/ relay) between this RGBS (5-wire video signal w/ separate signals for the Red, Green, Blue, and Synch) --- and a composite (2-wire) video signal where these color-signals are all combined, you would first need to convert the camera's composite signal, to RGBS.

That's in essense, what my NAVTool unit is doing ...

Connections are shown in the attachment.

Hope this helps,
Thanks man! That is the answer I was searching for. Not the result I wanted, but the information I needed.
Old 01-09-17, 10:41 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

In fact, if your SC has factory bluetooth the Nav screen interacts with all three audio/video sources---GPS DVD, bluetooth phone and the radio. Naviks/NavTool and similar backcam vidoe systems all cut into just GPS video source but do not touch the BT phone or the audio. So if you have the phone on and then put on the reverse, the backup cam will not come on. Thankfully, that scenario is rare and if you are aware of it you would avoid it. But that's why any Nav or Radio mod on this car is a bit challenging since they are all well integrated.
Old 03-10-17, 07:56 PM
wbrewster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the group and not sure I understand all the details of your question but my (2003) NAV screen is now a BU camera when in reverse or full time. Also added aux and external XM on very cool leather mount, Work done at Audio House in Napa by Jag.
Facebook Post

Last edited by wbrewster; 03-13-17 at 10:40 AM. Reason: posted wrong video
Old 07-20-19, 08:52 PM
Ivanpranil
Driver School Candidate

Default How much did this cost you? Can you add parking sensors and blind spot sensors?

Originally Posted by wbrewster
I'm new to the group and not sure I understand all the details of your question but my (2003) NAV screen is now a BU camera when in reverse or full time. Also added aux and external XM on very cool leather mount, Work done at Audio House in Napa by Jag. https://www.facebook.com/audiohousen...type=2&theater
How much did this cost you? Can you add parking sensors and blind spot sensors?
Old 07-21-19, 08:08 AM
TomDargan
Rookie

Which pin knows please when you've opened the dashboard screen door?

Quick Reply: Can you wire a backup camera & a relay into the NAV screen instead of using Navicks?